Used 2011 Toyota Highlander Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2011 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Great car...some quality issues...poor customer experience...
By tjbss

2011 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The only negative regarding this car relates to quality issues (power windows and sun visor) and specifically the way the dealership and Toyota executed their customer service. Otherwise, the vehicle is a joy to drive and (so far) very reliable. The driver's sun visor has broken twice in less than three years. The dealership, Rice Toyota, and Toyota have, in the end replaced the sun visor at no charge, however Toyota corp's customer service has disappointed me due to failed follow up promises. The power window failed due to a nut that came off the window...a repair we paid for. These relatively "minor' repairs make me less positive toward the brand's quality and customer service.

Favorite Features

Ride, Performance, Passenger comfort...

Stay away from the Pricy Nav System
By hondaowner56

2011 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Good overall, but it doesn't mean competition is bad. If you're interested in the Nav, the only advantage you'll get for $2000 extra is the bigger backup camera screen. Nav is terrible for $2000. TOYOTA MUST GIVE AWAY this nav rather than sell it. It's very old tech. Many owners also get lost because they can't park the car just to make corrections. Voice command is very ancient and limited (only 3 entries shown at a time). Save the $2000, buy the high-end portable nav, and keep the difference. You'll get better and safer guidance. I drive with the screen always off because of the frustrating User interface.

Favorite Features

Driveability. Although, as a regular car owner, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless I own competing models as well. Toyota's cars are great, but given their rising operating costs, car models suffer (e.g., cheaper interior materials, single-, instead of double-stitching on the supposedly upgraded leather). Backup camera does not have guide lines, nor the beep-beep sound. Certainly no longer the best cars around. Competition are not really that bad. If you want a much better value, tech, EVEN reliability, please check out models from Hyundai (Santa Fe's coming up). Honda, Nissan, Mazda, and even Ford also make reliable cars. Check them out before committing on the Highlander.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota, please clean up your act and help us, current owners get satisfied by at least upgrading the antiquated system we were made to believe will help us make our lives better. Until then, and except for your hybrids, your cars are going down, lower, and lower in quality. Your Camry used to be a hallmark of high quality. Not anymore, in my opinion. The Sonata is hands down much better than the Camry (sorry Camry fans). It's hard to justify cheapening of materials with the Toyota brand as a way to keep your customers happy. I'd like my front passenger to be able to operate the nav system and other functions in my 'high-end' info-tainment system, while I am driving.

Love our 2011 Toyota Highlander
By bossman8

2011 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This suv drives like a BMW. Have not found anything I would change.

Favorite Features

I love the back camera, and navigation system. The electronic, Toyota Direct Ignition is awesome.

Smooth & Powerful Drivetrain. Gas Mileage disappoints
By spottedone

2011 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this Highlander Limited early August and have about 2500 miles on it. I just completed a trip from Phoenix to San Diego. I bought the car for the smooth, quiet ride and performance and it has not disappointed. I had test drove an Infiniti SUV and the Acura MDX. Overall, I am happy with the car. The gas mileage has ranged from 19.4 to 22mpg. My Low fuel warning light is coming on too early with about 4.5 gal remaining in tank. This is around 322 miles which is very irritating. I think the Navigation system is too complicated as evidenced by the large instruction manual. Cargo cover installation is a pain. We really need ventilated seats in AZ.

Favorite Features

Smart Key, JBL sound system, power rear door.

Suggested Improvements

Ventilated seats. Simpler Nav system. Re-design of cargo cover stowage. Why is Hybrid system $10K more!

Satisfied
By maringa

2011 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just received our new Toyota Highlander, Limited FWD last week. It has been a pleasure to drive, and since I bought it for my wife, I haven't had much of a chance to drive it myself. Extremely comfortable, quiet and easy on the road. First tank is showing about 18.8 mpg in mixed driving. Hoping that it goes up a little as we break it in. When on a flat highway, for about 30 miles, it showed 23 mpg. Car feels bigger than what it is. Plenty of leg room in the back and front. The test will be 6 month to 1 year into the purchase - will follow-up then.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, quiet cabin and smooth on the road - makes a great trip car. Seems well put together. Navigation seems Ok...there are better units out there. Not an audiophile, but we love the stereo - great sound.

Suggested Improvements

Hard plastic everywhere, but at least it looks nice. Like all of the new car systems, it takes a while to understand the navigation system. Not overly concerned about the mileage just yet, since our last vehicle (Yukon XL) averaged around 13-14 mpg in town. Hopefully as the car breaks in, we begin to see an average of around 19-20 in town. Definitely want to see at least 24-25 as ratings show. Will update in a few months.