Used 2002 Toyota Corolla LE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Performs as expected... and then some!
By Bostondann

2002 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a pre-owned 2002 Corolla when my 1994 Tercel final gave up the ghost. This is perhaps the ultimate commuter car - reliable, steady, easy to drive, fuel efficient, and unnoticed by speed traps. The five-speed instead of automatic transmission makes a big difference in traffic and bad weather. BTW - I'm 5'6" and find the cabin very comfortable!

Reliability and gas mileage. I run synthetic oil and average 36-40 MPG overall.

Does what it supposed to do
By Nate

2002 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The Corolla is essentially a commuter's car for one or two passengers. Commuters want reliability, economy and a comfortable ride. The Corolla delivers in spades. Looks and rear seat knee room are not as important to us commuters. The only weakness is roominess for drivers who are taller that 5'10". Otherwise, you can't go wrong with a Corolla. The ride and handling dramatically improved when I installed Yokohama TRZ tires.

Automatic head lights. This is why I won't buy a Honda. Great brakes.

A compass. The steering wheel rim is too thick. The steering is a little heavy for one handed driving although the road feel is very good.

I love my Corolla
By Love my corolla

2002 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

What I love about my Corolla: Great gas mileage; cheap car payment; minimal repairs; she always starts; Toyota service has been mostly great What I don't love about my Corolla: She's hopeless going up hills on the highway; merging on the highway can be scary b/c her pickup is slow; I've had problems turning the key in the ignition (just turn harder); my check engine light came on after a couple years (carbon filter replaced under warrantee); not enough leg room in the backseat (I am 5'11'')

The dashboard outside temperature gauge is awesome.

I think it's a great value for its cost. For my next car, I'll upgrade to a Camry to get more leg room and a peppier engine.

2002 Toyota Corolla
By amdgmary

2002 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The Toyota Corolla is the best car I've owned. It has excellent fuel economy and the vehicle is very reliable. The next vehicle I purchase will be either a Toyota Corolla or a Camry.

Fuel economy

The car is noisy.

Just Commute!
By Basic Commuter

2002 Toyota Corolla LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Owned the LE three years now, and just change oil and add gas occasionally! My roads are secondary, usually, so I can normally get 40 to 44 MPG (55 MPH). I researched before buying, and know I made the right choice. The ONLY complaint is that the car needs either a six-speed, or more HP. Even a seasoned manual transmission driver (all my life) can still kill the engine at times. It just does not have a low enough first gear! I am 55 years old and this will be my last commuter, it is built that well. Just keep clean oil in it, and pay attention to coolant change-outs. You will not be disappointed.

MILEAGE! RELIABILITY!!

More horsepower and one more gear...