Used 2013 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Premium Car Price Without Premium Ride, Quietness or Seat Comfort
By gemigniani1

2013 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

2013 Avalon does not not feel like a $35,000 premium sedan. The ride is busy because even small road imperfections are felt and heard. There's no sound insulation under the carpets or in the doors so the road noise level is high like being in a Corolla. The front seat bottoms are small in size and thinly padded. So my seat bottom gets sore after only 20 miles of highway driving. The only "premium" car qualities that the 2013 Avalon has are rock solid directional stability on the highway, a smooth, quiet and responsive engine and transmission, and a fairly luxurious looking and feeling interior.

Refined engine and transmission performance. Great fuel economy for a V6. Great directional stability on the highway. Appealing styling.

Fix the thinly padded and small sized seat bottoms that induce driver fatigue after only 20 miles of highway driving. Fix the bumpy, economy car like ride. Fix the economy car like amount of road noise.

Beware of buying the 2013 Avalon Limited
By bill440

2013 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've owned this car for less than a week and have 2 problems with it, the back of the driver side seat panel broke and the headliner is falling down. The sad part of this story is that Toyota knows about these problems and kept letting dealers sell this defective car. This is not an isolated incident, check Toyota Nation to read other owners with this same issue. Toyota is finally issuing a bulletin to the dealer on these problems. The dealer will fix it under warranty but I don't feel the same, I expect a new car to be trouble free not have to be rebuilt.

Price and Technology

Quality Control

2013 Avalon Ltd Hybrid
By lewbat

2013 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Had planned to purchase a Lexus 300H but found local Lexus dealers not buyer friendly. Decided to look at the Avalon as an alternative and made a purchase which I now regret. The hybrid platform performs wonderfully; power is adequate and economy is better than expected. So far with 5000 miles average MPG is 40.1 with 70pc highway at speeds 70+ MPH. My main issue with the vehicle is interior build quality/fit/finish. I have owned many cars over the years and not since the early 70's have I had a car with so many interior rattles. It is unpleasant to drive the vehicle on anything but newly paved roads. Ride quality is firm, but not unpleasant and seats are adequate for long drives.

Excellent MPG for vehicle of this size. Toyota's hybrid platform works well. Good rear seat room and comfort.

Interior build quality. Better range of adjustment in power seats. This is first vehicle in 7 years that I have had to make trips to the dealer for other than routine service. Have owned the vehicle since May and have been to the dealer 4 times and still have issues with rattles. For this reason, I would not purchase this car again.

Getting my 2013 Avalon Repaired
By avalonowner63

2013 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I live in Alpharetta Ga and recently purchased a 2013 Avalon Touring Edition. I'm enjoying the car. However; I'm very disappointed with the dealership for customer "No Service". I took my car in for it's 5k servicing. A clip to the back panel of my drivers seat was faulty and the panel is coming off. I was told to come back tomorrow and they would repair it. When I drove back the next day, I waited 45 minutes for them to tell me they don't have one but will in a week. They would call me. They didn't. I call again, left message with service technician to call me. He did not. Called again. Part not in until October 24. Mind you it's August 29th.

Take the part off another car. Nope. They have my money. I can wait. Toyota- This is not the way to start my new relationship with you. If it doesn't improve quickly, I'll go back to my private shop after my warranty is up. Never ever had an issue with them.

Just What I Needed
By twigster

2013 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is my "highway" car. Drove to NEPA Pocono Area with my electronic drums in the trunk. The July shakedown cruise to our yearly SummerJam proved the Avalon's capability. I tend to travel fast (above the speed limit) and got almost 30 MPG while feeling safe and in control. Love the transmission and the steering and despite what MT may say about "steering feedback" I didn't find that a negative since I didn't want a "sports car" or want to "feel the road". Spent almost three weeks driving around the N.E.P.A. area roads that I grew up driving on (I live in Tampa), these are what we call "driving! roads". Again, the car made it a blast - it went everywhere like it owned the road.

Giants Despair Hill Climb road or Blue Ridge Parkway @ Shenandoah National Park. Day or night we (friends and family) had a blast just driving around and seeing "the old places". Paddle shifting was precise when used and the stereo performance with my iPod matched. (Sat radio? jury out.) Deer or possum attracted to the new car smell tried to jump aboard but the handling, brakes and headlights defeated them. THIS is just what I need in a car. I don't need to "make a statement" to anyone with the car I drive. I just need a car to carry my drums and wife safely to those people and places we love.

Maybe mirrors that auto tilt down to catch the curbs when you back up.