Used 2006 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota 4Runner

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Our new 4Runner
By matt barron

2006 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle looks awesome from every angle. We got the color we wanted and the 2006 SR5 looks like a limited did in previous years. The standard HAC (hill assist start) has come in handy a handful of times on my in-laws monster driveway. Our 4-liter V6 gets 23.0 mpg on the interstate, that's strong. It stands head and shoulders above it's competitors.

Favorite Features

HAC, TRAC, DAC, liftgate that automatically latches. rear window that rolls down all the way.

Suggested Improvements

Reclining rear seats, like the RAV4.

Good car
By Ali

2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought 4Runner as an interim vehicle because I could not decide and I will keep this car. It is well made, drives like a dream and has room for everything. Toyota considered every detail.

Favorite Features

Driver's cabin has access to everything from that one spot. It is perfect for busy people.

Suggested Improvements

I liked the old rugged exterior, personal choice.

V-8 smooth
By Blaze

2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Just bought the car. Nice ride. Avg about 20.1 (set cruise @65.00 sharp). Combined driving gets about 18.2 MPG. Computer updates the MPG every 10 sec. Very smooth. Quiet interior. The power seats are nice. Wish side airbags come standard. No body lean around the curve at 40~45 MPH. Drove thru a heavy rain storm and can feel the traction control sets in right away. A lot of room when rear seats folded down. Storage areas throughout the car make it really neat.

Favorite Features

VSC, traction control (you don't need a 4x4), MPG display, range display, storage area, being able to fold the rear seats down. Lot of room. V-8 gets about 21 MPG on the HWY. 18.2~18.5 combined driving. Rear pillar mirrors.

Suggested Improvements

Make side airbags, head airbags standard like CRV.

New Impression for an Old Friend
By pain-doc

2006 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Having a short attention span, I have been through a number of SUVs including a 02 Pathfinder, 03 Sequoia, 02 BMW X5 V8, 02 4Runner, 04 CR-V to name a few. This 06 seems to be the best mix for the price. My primary gripes are headroom on ingress, climate control knobs/buttons, and lack of dark interior option. If I could have had a scaled-down Sequoia, that would have been perfect. The V8 in this intermediate is a true luxury. I love the throttle response. Many complain that it is too responsive, but being primarily a sports car guy, it is a welcome attribute. I wanted a masculine SUV that had a livable nature and that is what I got.

Favorite Features

Throttle response, masculine appearance, and obvious build quality.

Suggested Improvements

Change the climate controls to knobs to those on the Sequoia, Make the dark interior only available on the Sport Edition available on all trim levels, Increase the entry headroom slightly, Clean up the appearance of the trailer hitch (make only the receiver visible).

Best SUV By Far!
By mo's 4Runner

2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is the best SUV overall. Easy and fun to drive. Great power, reliability, and build quality. Previously owned a range rover, which was just expensive crap. This vehicle has it all.

Favorite Features

Hood scoop, LED tail lights, projector head lights, JBL stereo rocks!, v8 power, instrument gauges, comfortable seats,

Suggested Improvements

A thicker, sportier feeling steering wheel.