Used 2003 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

After 7 years, still strong!
By Jason H

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Just drove 2300 miles from California to Atlanta without a hiccup! No worries on long road trip when you have a reliable Toyota with you. Oh, and this is with 97K total miles.

XREAS suspension, ease of creating space (folding back seats), torque of V8.

Lot of rattles on the '03, heard it was fixed for later years. Sport Edition rotors have to be turned pretty early or the whole rotor must be replaced.

Stuck on toyota
By Tony_sells_R.E.

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I just bought a 2003 4Runner sport edition with the optional V8, 2WD, and it is amazing. I always wanted a 4Runner, and could finally afford one. It is great. I should have bought it years ago instead of an explorer that blew a head gasket and needed new lifters after 85k miles. I am only 24 years old, and drive hard, and it keeps up with me. Being in real estate, I need a nice car for clients, and a reliable and low maintenance suv that I can fit my family's stuff in when we go out for the weekend. This is an awesome vehicle!!!

The driver's controls are easily reachable, and the motor purrs like no other. Plus plenty of storage space for my gadgets next to me.

None, it has everything I need, and what I don't have can be purchased from the dealer, like nav. and upgraded stereo. A tiptronic transmission would have been nice, but no biggie.

Best SUV out there
By 4Jogger125

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my 4Runner for exactly 3 years and have done nothing to it minus your oil changes, etc. I have never had a bobble out of my Toyota. I actually do not have a 4WD, and it is top notch in the snow, so I could only imagine how great a 4WD would be. I'm 20 years old and I drive hard, but my 4Runner can most certainly keep up. From my short experience as a driver, I am almost certain I will buy nothing but Toyota's from now on.

This vehicle has a look and performance that goes beyond the rest while still being very cheap monetarily in comparison. All the benefits of a luxury vehicle.

I would have to agree with a few others and say there is a blindspot that is a bit uncomfortable. Also, I dont know if I am the only one, but the paint on my driver's side mirror is coming off. But other than that, this vehicle is perfect!

Excellent 4-Runner!
By TawlerDan

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle now for almost 3 years and the only thing I've done is just your monthly/bimonthly maintance(oil, filters, etc.) It is, in my opinion, the best vehicle I've owned.

My favorite part of this SUV is that it has a lot of features of the larger, more expensive vehicles, but cost way less.

The "central heat and air" feature is not all that is cracked up to be. Actually, pretty much everything with the air conditioning unit I'm not impressed with. It's either too hot or too cold...never comfortable.

awesome 4Runner
By AnthonyS

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle is an awesome vehicle to drive on and off road. It has a Lexus like interior and and Gated shifter.

The exterior styling and the navigation system

The fuel door release needs to be relocated and the insturment need to be brighter.