2014 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: It's a winner

2014 Subaru Outback - Consumer Review

2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD CVT Automatic)

It's a winner
By autobahnburner on

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My first Subaru was a 2006 Outback 3.0R LL Bean model, and my second is the 2014 Outback Limited 2.5 with the CVT.
They are nothing alike, and and I like each of them for different reasons, but they do have one thing in common.
Both came out on top of after an exhaustive comparison of other brands.
Frankly, I prefer the 06 because it was a much more engaging car to drive.
However, the new model was more of a sensible purchase.
It's significantly larger and more flexible, gets much better mileage, and has more bells and whistles.
I heavily considered a Mazda CX-5, Subaru Forester, and also an Audi Q5 and Volvo XC70. I can afford the last two but it was hard to justify their prices.

The Limited model is definitely worth the cost compared to lower trim models. I like the acceleration of the 3.6R model, but the mileage was too poor and I really didn't need the higher performance (my other car is a sports car, so that fulfills my need for speed). I've driven the CVT for 1500 miles now, and it's perfectly fine. Disregard naysayers who complain about engine whine or a lack of off-the-line acceleration. It's smooth and the paddle shifters work flawlessly if you use them. I don't. The stereo/nav/camera is good, but sound is not as good as my prior 2006 model. It's better than other brands. Overall, it's great on balance to it's competition. Build quality is excellent.

It seems a bit more bulky than it needs to be, as if it needs to go on a diet. The 2006 model was smaller and ideal, and I preferred its size as a driver. However, my rear seat passengers absolutely love this car better because there is so much more legroom. The rear hatch doesn't latch without a slam, and I'm over 6 ft tall and am very strong. I cannot believe I'm about to say this, but a power liftgate is needed. I only figured this out after driving it for the past 1500 miles. Lastly, the interior design is boring and it has hard plastics, but it's very durable and there are zero squeeks and rattles - which is more important. Still, a nicer interior design would be appreciated.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review