Used 2014 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2014 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Love it!
By Magda Benavides

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The Eyesight feature is fantastic!

Ultra Practical
By Kallst

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I've own the car for about 2 years now. No mechanical problems and it handles just as you would expect a 4 cy CVT car to handle. I have the Limited with Special Appearance Package so all the bells and whistles but it is not plush in any way just nice. I don't mind the slow acceleration because I just putz around town. The breaks are a bit soft and that is sometimes annoying. The seating is fine for me and my son who is 6' 2" says he is comfortable in the drivers seat or in the back seat so that works well. The cargo space is also spacious enough for the errands I run. Overall a very practical car.

The touch screen for the navigation system is not quick to respond and the notice it gives for turns is minimal so it is good to keep an eye on the map for upcoming turns. The Bluetooth thinks it needs to scroll through my emails on occasion leaving me with 20 min of "you have a new message" alerts that can only be ended by stopping and restarting the car. The dealer has a work around but it involves clearing the memory in the cache of the Bluetooth or for me to not save any text or email messages. I do consider this a safety issue since I cannot view the map during these times. I am trying to find out how to deactivate the message function but keep the Bluetooth for phone. The Dealer is still working on this one.

Dont Buy it if you have big thighs
By Dennis N

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

You cant tell in a 15 minute test drives how the seats will do long term. They will woo you with leather (which I hate) and multiple adjustment seats, which are just flash. If you have larger thighs or are a weight lifter or hiker, where your thighs might be a little tighter, the seats will kill you. I cannot drive longer than 30 minutes without the back of my right leg going numb and tightening up. They have a roll of foam in the end of the short seat that hits you mid thigh and there is no way of adjusting the seats to make it go away. Im making an appointment with an upholsterer to see it the foam can be scooped out, which will cost a lot and void the warranty for the seats...comfort more important. If you have larger thighs...TAKE A LONG TEST DRIVE...INSIST ON IT.

We Love this Car!
By Hank

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The Outback was a replacement for a 2004 Subaru Forester! We wanted something a little bigger but with good gas mileage and some neat features! It also had PZEV, which I had to look up and stands for Partial Zero-Emission Vehicle. The Outback, was purchased used, with 7200 mi on the odometer, and fit the bill and has not disappointed us. The transmission is unique and what I immediately noticed as a major difference is the variable shifting eliminates the up and down jerking of speed changes with the car in cruise control on hills. And we took a trip from St. Louis to Houston, and averaged 30mpg going. The trip back was 28 but for the size of this vehicle, not bad at all! And the car is much more comfortable than the older 2004 Forester!

Subaru needs to redesign the braking system
By Andrew S

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

So this is our second Subaru. The first was a 2012 Premium Outback 2.5, which we traded in with 62,000 miles. No major issues. We have owned the 2014 for about one month and have noticed a significant difference in the braking. The braking is extremely soft. With 24,000 miles on it, I changed out the all the brakes and rotors. I noticed the the rear pads had only about 20% remaining and the front pads had 60-70%. I thought this was odd and mentioned it to the dealer. The dealer stated that Subaru changed the majority braking application to the rear brakes preventing the vehicle from "dipping" when coming to a stop. Overall, I think this is a great idea, however Subaru forgot to increase the rear brake pads and rotors to prevent quick wear. So my guess is that I'll have to replace the rear brakes and rotors every 25,000-30,000 miles.
The 2014 handles better and rides smoother than the 2012.
The MPG seems to be less in the 2014 than the 2012.
The factory installed remote start needs to change. It's annoying the vehicle shuts off when you open a door, after activating the remote start.
The ride noise is a little loud.
The interior needs to be upgraded.
The only reason why we would purchase another Subaru is depending on the reliability of the 2014.