2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2014 Outback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Sort Reviews by

Rust its what makes a subaru
By coffeelude

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Got a brand new 2014 Subaru 15 months ago, mostly satisfied initially with the ride. Have about 12000 miles on it so far. Some minor issues include uneven acceleration in the morning and weird jerking when changing from reverse to drive. A few months after I bought the car I noticed that the bottom exterior of the car was rusting. A few searches online and seems like we were not alone. Neither the dealer or Subaru customer service were interested in acknowledging the problem. They claim that it is normal for a 5 month old car to start rusting. I live in the Washington dc metro area where the winters are not extreme.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive

Suggested Improvements

If you built it with so much love perhaps some rust resistant exterior would be nice to have.

High Value Car
By r_k

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Owned a Sienna XLE 2010 and wanted to move out of the big car league and looking for relatively smaller car which still gives SUV feel. We did try our hands on Forester as well but liked Outback better because of robust interior and better road grip. We drive it for pleasure/road trips and have put over 5K miles on it so far. The only complaint I have is, while going heavy on gas, it makes noise and seems like has trouble coping up, however give it 2-3 seconds and it's back to normal. I love the eyesight feature and whenever on highway with less traffic, I put it on cruise, leads to worry free driving. Love lane departure feature. My wife likes it better than Sienna. Love the green color.

Favorite Features

Eyesight, Cruise, Electric Brake (works solid), GPS Screen (audio and other controls on it very intuitive), high quality touch screen, leather interior, roomy trunk, hand rest in the back seat (very handy for kids while on long trips, they use it as parking their books/snacks on it) and there is enough space left underneath to still keep books and other items, Seat split - enables me to carry large items in the car from stores, have so far brought 7 ft lamps and large wooden pieces for DIY projects. High safety features and lower insurance due to five star safety ratings.

Suggested Improvements

GPS maps to be updated- gets confused on few occasions, the clock and other items displayed on center of dashboard could be of a little large in size and add more features to it. Brakes are average and could be more robust.

So Far So Good
By ssphoto66

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My car is now one year old, this January. So far I've done about 15K miles with no drivability issues. My Pros: 1. Practical 2. Roomy 3. Well built 4. Ride height 5. CVT / MPG -- summer months as high as 30MPG! Winter average: 26. My Cons: 1. Base radio -- functional but not intuitive and poorly laid out. 2. Voice Recognition -- virtually useless / doesn't work well 3. Noise -- road noise can be prominent at times; 2015 is reportedly quieter. 4. Acceleration Gauge: annoying and useless. I'd much rather have an engine temp indicator. 5. Oil prices; the synthetic oil is more expensive than I expected, so an oil change at the Subie dealership can be twice what you expect.

Favorite Features

1. External roof cross beams - they swing out for use and fold back for non-use. 2. Blue Tooth phone 3. XM Radio 4. CVT

Suggested Improvements

Base radio; could be a lot better. Poor button labels and cryptic controls. XM Radio: "NAME/TITLE" display limited to only 10 characters -- most titles are well beyond that, so it cuts off. Voice recognition: pretty much un-usable. Way too finicky and frustrating to program names into.

Wonderful value!
By drj13

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I took a look at the Outback at the suggestion of a friend. I was lukewarm on buying since I was very happy with my CRV. Took the Outback for a test ride and liked it for a number of reasons. So I decided to make an offer to the salesperson along with what I wanted for my trade in. He disappeared for a few minutes and came back and said "okay". At that moment I changed from just looking to really buying.

Favorite Features

The lane departure feature is kind of a love / hate relationship but I think it's an important feature and highly recommend it. I also like the collision avoidance system and believe it has already saved me from at least one accident. Get the upgraded radio if you can afford it because it's fantastic.

Suggested Improvements

I believe Sabaru has done a superior job on the Outback and can't think of any suggestions for improvement.

Best car I had
By karlrad

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I bought a 2014 Outback 2.5i Premium 6 speed a year ago, now I have little over 13000 miles on it. I can say this is the best car I have owned and for the money we paid, you cannot get anything with all the equipment it has for such a price. Subaru’s AWD system was a sell point, since I do not want any FWD cars anymore: I am sick of replacing boots and front axles. This Outback is extremely spacious, comfortable, and reliable. It handles very well on any terrain, snow or rain, sand or pavement. The finish and quality of the car is very good, I may not have ash wood like a luxury car, nor do I have Napa leather, but I did not pay three times what I paid to get them.

Favorite Features

Comfort: the rear seat is extremely nice, it reclines and lots of knee room. Built quality: never a problem in a year. Space: large rear cargo space and humongous with rear seats folded. Then, it has a roof rack... Visibility: the best in any car. Performance: good acceleration, very good brakes, excellent steering and suspension.

Suggested Improvements

Gear shift could be much better.

Transmission and/or fuel delivery problem
By lillie12

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After shifting into drive, the transmission waits a beat (about 1 long second) and then shifts. When the car is in drive, the fuel delivery and/or timing surges periodically. Both make for a jerky drive. The gas pedal is VERY touchy. The gas pedal must be pressed very lightly at first, so as not to give passengers whiplash on start-up from a stop. For short drivers (5'-5'4") the headrest can be uncomfortable. Instead of a flat surface, it bulges out and tips forward, pushing the driver's head into a chin downward position. It is not tilt adjustable. Eyesight is helpful, however, it once stopped the car on a highway when the car in front moved left to make a left turn.

Favorite Features

Rides very smoothly on the road, with minimal road noise. High ground clearance (8+ inches) makes it easy to drive unpaved, potted roads. Eyesight is a help with cruise control, as it slows the Outback down if the car in front slows down, without the driver having to brake or exit cruise control mode.

Suggested Improvements

Front headrests need to be made to accommodate drivers of all heights, without forcing the head forward. Sun shades for driver and passenger are too small. Better gas mileage. Cup holders that accommodate greater variety/size/type of coffee cups (see Toyota Sienna).

Luxury Swiss Army Knife
By jg63

2014 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Sold my BMW 330xi and got my new Outback 3.6R Limited. I've gone from the "ultimate driving machine" (which drove great, but didn't have a lot of room for people and stuff, didn't have a lot of ground clearance, and was getting very expensive to maintain) to the "ultimate do absolutely everything pretty well" machine. Tons of room for its exterior size. Plenty of power. Nice ride. Great value. Well built. Amenities are pretty good for this price point. While I miss a bit of how the old car drives when pushed hard on a curvy road, on all other points, I prefer the Subaru.

Favorite Features

Wagon utility. Hands-free system with Bluetooth audio streaming. Leather interior. Ground clearance. Interior room. Visibility. Power. Comfortable ride. Nice handling. Turning radius. Paddle shifters and the logic in the AT that works great for descending steep grades.

Suggested Improvements

Stronger brakes. This vehicle has substantial mass to stop. The brakes are fine and compare well to most vehicles, but better brakes would make the driving experience better. A sport mode for the AT where the shift points are more aggressive without having to manually shift the gears. Older pre-2009 Outbacks had this. Better mounting of the cargo area interior trim so the Harmon Kardon subwoofer doesn't make it rattle when you really have the bass up. Softer materials for the dash and door trim. At this price point they should be more plush. I'm afraid the electric parking brake will wear out eventually. Would prefer a manual one.

Never expected to like it so much
By todrit

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have had my subaru Outback fro two months and I honestly never thought I would like it so much. I went for it mainly for the value and comfort. it really is a fun car to drive and has great gas mileage. I never even concidered a Subaru, my wife talked me into looking at them. the only issue i have found is that the control for the radio are a bit hard to reach while your driving and the sound system is just OK.

Favorite Features

Love the gas mileage and the handling

Suggested Improvements

again better sound system and a way to add or change the names of stored numbers

Love this car
By jons2

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I traded in my 04 Highlander for the Outback, primarily because I needed a small SUV type vehicle that would get better gas mileage, and be comfortable on trips etc. This Outback met all my expectations. The seats are very comfortable, gas mileage is better now that the engine is broken in and the Chicago weather is warming. I get about 27MPG in mixed suburban/highway driving with the 2.5 engine. I noticed that the mileage suffers when the engine is cold (runs richer) and can take some time to warm up on real cold days. Constant short trips will kill gas mileage, fyi. Engine has plenty of pep which was an initial concern and I was impressed on how quiet and refined it is.

Favorite Features

I love the CVT for it's smooth acceleration. I have the Navi + eyesight which I use constantly on the highway. The eyesight cruise control keeps you at a safe distance from the car in front and breaks as needed when the car you are following slows down. It also alerts you to stationary objects in front and alerts you when veering out of your lane. Pretty cool technology. I also love the bluetooth technology. Connects to my iphone automatically and takes control of my stored music allowing me to play, search, ff, etc with all the controls on steering wheel or dash display. It also handles very well, turns on a dime and the all wheel drive is wonderful in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

I think they could significantly improve gas mileage by adding direct fuel injection to the existing 4 cyl. or add a diesel / hybrid approach. Steering is a little vague on the highway and the aerodynamics at high speed could be improved. I believe the 2015 model addresses that. I also noticed that wind sheers buffets the car around at high speeds, more so than previously owned cars. I would like to see a radar warning system in both the front, back and sides in place of the Eyesight. The Eyesight has limitations as it turns itself off in direct frontal/low sunlight and I've had mixed effectiveness with night time usage. I have had the car for 3 mths now with 1600 miles on it.

Car for areas with snow
By lew716

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I know that this model will be replaced this summer with a newer version, but I love it and needed a replacement for my previous Outback. The car has plenty of room, comfortable seats, and handles snow and other bad weather with ease. I chose the Eyesight feature and found it excellent. The newer version should be even better. It has the capability of stopping accidents, and controls your cruise control to ensure that you are following the vehicle ahead of you at a safe distance even when they slow down. The car can carry most things a homeowner would want either on the roof rack, or in the back with the rear seats folding flat.

Suggested Improvements

It would be great if they had a warning alarm when the was a car in your blind spot.