2014 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Luxury Swiss Army Knife
By jg63 on 06/11/14 20:49 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Sold my BMW 330xi and got my new Outback 3.6R Limited. I've gone from the "ultimate driving machine" (which drove great, but didn't have a lot of room for people and stuff, didn't have a lot of ground clearance, and was getting very expensive to maintain) to the "ultimate do absolutely everything pretty well" machine. Tons of room for its exterior size. Plenty of power. Nice ride. Great value. Well built. Amenities are pretty good for this price point. While I miss a bit of how the old car drives when pushed hard on a curvy road, on all other points, I prefer the Subaru.

Never expected to like it so much
By todrit on 06/09/14 08:59 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have had my subaru Outback fro two months and I honestly never thought I would like it so much. I went for it mainly for the value and comfort. it really is a fun car to drive and has great gas mileage. I never even concidered a Subaru, my wife talked me into looking at them. the only issue i have found is that the control for the radio are a bit hard to reach while your driving and the sound system is just OK.

Love this car
By jons2 on 04/09/14 08:44 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I traded in my 04 Highlander for the Outback, primarily because I needed a small SUV type vehicle that would get better gas mileage, and be comfortable on trips etc. This Outback met all my expectations. The seats are very comfortable, gas mileage is better now that the engine is broken in and the Chicago weather is warming. I get about 27MPG in mixed suburban/highway driving with the 2.5 engine. I noticed that the mileage suffers when the engine is cold (runs richer) and can take some time to warm up on real cold days. Constant short trips will kill gas mileage, fyi. Engine has plenty of pep which was an initial concern and I was impressed on how quiet and refined it is.

Car for areas with snow
By lew716 on 03/31/14 15:12 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I know that this model will be replaced this summer with a newer version, but I love it and needed a replacement for my previous Outback. The car has plenty of room, comfortable seats, and handles snow and other bad weather with ease. I chose the Eyesight feature and found it excellent. The newer version should be even better. It has the capability of stopping accidents, and controls your cruise control to ensure that you are following the vehicle ahead of you at a safe distance even when they slow down. The car can carry most things a homeowner would want either on the roof rack, or in the back with the rear seats folding flat.

It's a winner
By autobahnburner on 03/18/14 07:32 AM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My first Subaru was a 2006 Outback 3.0R LL Bean model, and my second is the 2014 Outback Limited 2.5 with the CVT. They are nothing alike, and and I like each of them for different reasons, but they do have one thing in common. Both came out on top of after an exhaustive comparison of other brands. Frankly, I prefer the 06 because it was a much more engaging car to drive. However, the new model was more of a sensible purchase. It's significantly larger and more flexible, gets much better mileage, and has more bells and whistles. I heavily considered a Mazda CX-5, Subaru Forester, and also an Audi Q5 and Volvo XC70. I can afford the last two but it was hard to justify their prices.

Better than the Rest
By lbf404 on 03/14/14 15:26 PM (PDT)

2014 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Waited until I had my car a couple of months to post a review. Looked around at every midsize crossover, from BMW X1, X3, Infiniti, Acura, Honda, Toyota and Volvo for months to find something that met the needs of city driving and parking while also comfortable enough for a road trip. After 4 BMW's this was quite a change, I've been so impressed with my Outback! It does everything well, and the 3.6R has plenty of get up and go when needed. The Limited has all the creature comforts, excellent visibility and the car has that safe, solid feel to it in all kinds of driving conditions, including the rare snowstorm in Atlanta!

Perfect fit for me...
By skw0123 on 02/12/14 00:20 AM (PST)

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have been shopping the compact midsize crossover segment forever and have driven a fair number of the contenders in test drives or rentals. I finally pulled the trigger on an Outback 2.5i Limited. The Outback may seem big, but it's very close to CR-V and RAV4 in size. It's an inch or two less tall and about 8 inches longer than cute-ute crossovers, with about 2 inches more in wheelbase. I think this gives the car a much more composed ride. Maneuverability is awesome. Subarus have character that many cars lack. The 2.5i 4-cyl boxer is very reasonable in terms of power delivery, but it isn't your garden-variety 4 cylinder...it's quite smooth in operation though, especially w/CVT.

2014 Subaru Outback Premium w/ Moonroof
By mdavis10 on 01/21/14 09:27 AM (PST)

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

On December 30, 2013, I purchased a new Subaru from Ciocca Subaru in Wescosville. In that short period of time, I have accumulated 2100 miles and have found the vehicle to be responsive and well-mannered in city and highway driving. The ride and handling for a vehicle of this size is excellent. Seats are firm and the cabin is relatively quiet. Interior materials seem to be of good quality. I appreciate the convenience of the winter package which incudes all-weather winter mats and a large rubber cargo mat w/ cargo net. As recommended, I check the oil every 400 miles and have no noticable consumption as the dipstick indicator still shows as full. Decent fuel mileage 23 city/30+ highway.

unique wagon
By zimboy on 12/14/13 16:34 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

i did lots of research looking for a car that combined practical space, versatile in all weather conditions, cross-over aspects, a sense of adventure but confidence....something different from the hundreds of dreary over-sized SUV's out there. always knew Subaru were renowned in the AWD adventure/sport category but was surprised by how versatile the Outback is.

surprised fan
By zimboy on 12/09/13 17:12 PM (PST)

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

always liked the idea of an adventure vehicle like the Outback something fun and versatile. i had no idea how captivating it would be. perfect ride height, super-stable all wheel drive (almost invincible in the snow), adequate power, great space and rugged looks. my wife and i fight to drive it and may have to get another as second family car. we are outdoor fans and love the rook rails and easy level load bay and space.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2014 Subaru Outback in VA is:

$110 per month*