2011 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Subaru just get better!
By hamuller on 09/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I really loved my 2000 Forester and would have gotten another one except for the 4 speed automatic tranny. My new Outback at 3000 miles has far exceed my expectations. The ride is really comfortable which makes my better half really happy. The gas mileage is as advertised only better. Driving from NH to Cape Ann, MA on vacation I did 33 mpg. In the city it seems to be high 20s. Better than my Forester with the same engine in a much bigger car thanks to the CVT tranny. Acceleration adequate unless you are used to a six cylinder. This car is a winner!

The Worst Phone System
By Thomas on 09/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I still can't believe how many steps I have to take to make a simple call. Even after that the computer usually says it doesn't recognize that name anyway and quits. Its dreadful and its clear to me now whey the salesman didn't demonstrate it. 3 different buttons for the phone on the wheel and not 1 to turn the stereo on. Still got to go the old fashioned way. The doors don't auto lock after the car is in drive. Even the Yaris does that. The lift gate does not open automatically. A low end Camry its standard. The so called 8 cup holders are a joke, 4 are on the doors so you can't put cups in them and the others are so big that even large water bottles tip over. Tiny sun roof.

Flawed steering system 2010-11 models
By pc on 09/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Bottom line is the car has a flawed steering system and it effects 30-60+ percent of the cars. I got one of the affected cars and have been fighting with SOA over it. They know the cars are bad and they are selling them to unsuspecting buyers. You sign a contract and your stuck. Run away from these 2 year models of this car! Read the horror stories on the site I mentioned above.

1st Subaru
By A.J. on 09/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Purchased Subaru for my wife. Just moved to Vermont so her corolla would'nt make the winters there. I drive an Audi. After taking the outback for a 3rd test drive. We could not see spending the additional money for the Audi Q5. The Subaru is truly priced well from the get go, and is an excellent value. The steering is not numb and my wife feels it is "FUN" to drive. Now i know why it seems to be the Vermont state car. A.J.E.

Excellent choice
By Jim on 09/08/10 15:48 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is my first Subaru. Very pleased with the ride and gas mileage. It has a real solid feel and is very comfortable. The harmon kardon upgrade was worth it.

Big Transition, Big Suprise
By jrollins12574 on 09/02/10 07:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I traded in my 05 Dodge Durango SLT (w/ Hemi)for my Outback. I was looking for AWD & better gas mileage, 2 weeks later I'm very happy with my purchase. The 2.5 L engine has more power than I thought it would and the gas mileage has been averaging around 26 MPG (I live in a rural area with a lot of hills). My Outback handles very well, of course I'm comparing it to my old Durango. The Outback has a surprising amount of cargo room & the interior is very comfortable. The All Weather Package is a nice touch - I'm looking forward to having heated seats and mirrors this winter. The only thing that seems goofy is that when I first start it up, the car seems to hesitate, but runs fine after warming up.

27 years with Honda and now a Subaru
By Bill L on 08/29/10 16:01 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have had my Outback now for a little over a month. I have taken one long trip and averaged 30 mpg Highway while going just a tad over the speed limit. Around town I am getting 22 mpg and i have just over 1,000 miles of driving. This is my first non Honda in 27 years I have always liked Subaru but until now, never had one of my own. I really think Subaru makes a great product, unlike other manufacturers they haven't cut corners where it really matters. It rides great, and from various reviews read it has passed with flying colors as a safe drive. So far I am really enjoying this car and i can understand why Subaru owners are loyal to what they drive

3000 mile report card
By george alexanian on 08/29/10 15:57 PM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

My realistic, not wide eyed or wishful rating, at 3000 mile overall grade is an A-. If it had more gauges, an intermittently working blue tooth, and did not require me to agree to terms to see the map every time I start to drive the car, it would have been the best car I have ever had in 45 years, and rated an A+. At an out the door price of $37,988 for the limited 3.6R, you cannot beat it. Subaru has the opportunity to be the best practical and cost effective crossover ever made with a few changes. Subaru, get with it and prosper! Before this, I never even considered a Subaru, I did not even know where it was made.

Greatest wagon out there
By Richard on 08/29/10 08:26 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Fantastic buy for the money. Good luck finding a car this good for the price you will pay.

Up-Date Major Defect
By Bill on 08/28/10 04:10 AM (PDT)

2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Up-date to my 7/28 review. Subaru came out with a TSB for the steering wheel shake finally which included new front and rear bushings, new steering wheel with dampener, new mount for the trans and a bunch of other parts. Car was at dealer for 2 days for the repair. It drives a lot better now without the shake however the steering wheel vibrates above 70 mph., kind of like operating a power tool. Called dealer and told him the problem and was told nothing more they can do. Car rides well, plenty of power, comfortable, and fun to drive as long as you stay below 70. Envy those of you without the shake or vibration. For me, my first and last Subaru.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Subaru Outback in VA is:

$100 per month*