Used 2011 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Can't get much better
By goldentrv

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I had my Outback for five months. On the 28th of February I left Chicago, the day before the snow hit, for San Diego, so I missed the big snow. With our 100 lb Golden Retriever on a 6000 mile trip, the Outback not only gave us 29 to 30 miles per gallon at high speeds, it did it comfortably, This car handled the steep mountain roads with ease. It could use more power, but at no time did I feel compromised. You do forgett that it is a four cylinder, the cvt is great.

The economy, cvt trans, all wheel drive, comfort cargo space, fit and finish, Subaru's abillity to respond to customer complaints and correct them.

The radio needs an upgrade, it could use more power without harming the economy, the blower motor is too loud at high speed, maybe include rear heater vents.

This car/SUV is a sleeper!
By sea_eagle22

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought a 2011 limited at the end of Sept 2010 and drove it to Southwest Florida from MD. Mileage was 30mpg on the interstate. Locally I am getting 26+ in combined driving. Seats are wonderful times 10 exp 100. The only thing I don't like is the cheap radio display which can not show the majority of the letters of the artist or song title. We have the technology! I experienced the vibration, caused by conti tires that could not be balanced. Two tires were replaced at 3500 miles. Did I say the seats are fantastic? It takes some time to get use to the rea view camera in the rearview mirror

Seats mpg smooth ride capacity

Better radio display, lighten vehicle weight by 200 pounds, add turn signal indicators in the exterior mirror housings

Great New 2011 OutBack 2.5i Limited
By lgregor

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

My wife & I bought a 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited to help keep the miles off our 2008 Jeep JK with 114k on it already. I love my Jeep and it truly is the best 4wd out there but since driving the Outback I have become spoiled. The quality of ride is something I didnt expect out of this vehicle. Driving the exact same roads and paths I have taken for the past 3 years its a completely different feel. Many bumps/dips that I knew were there in other vehicles seemingly dissapear or become so minimal its outstanding. I am pretty large and I fit very easily in the new Outback. At 6'1 I dont even have to have the seat all the way back to fit. The doors/seals are very very good. Very good fit n finish.

Very smooth ride, dampens sharp bumps, potholes and off-road is unusually smooth; backup camera with sunroof/dimming mirror package is really great; Chose the 4 cylinder model and has plenty of power to scoot around the mountain terrain of Western North Carolina; 4cyl model has engine space and easy access maint. -very very roomy inside, Driver & Passenger area has a great deal of space. Already getting 29.4MPG on the highway and vehicle has less than 500miles. Not yet broken in and have not yet changed to synthetic oils. Bluetooth and interior features are very useful; I am 6'1, 350lbs and there is still more room to go back in the front seats; seemingly endless storage space in the trunk

Manual tranny was preferred but could not find ANYWHERE without special ordering; Give options for different tire choices at the dealer; OEM tires are fine but other snow/offroad choices would be nice; A 4-Lo option would be very welcome so when in 1st gear down a steep grade (in snow) would be usable vs the vehicle increasing speed regarless of staying in 1st gear; I own a 4x4 Jeep JK and was hoping the engine breaking on the AWD would be like the Jeep in a manual tranny; would like to see a deeper center console storage area.

Great travelling car
By momjo

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We bought a 2011 Outback Limited last month. The seating and cabin room are very comfortable for long trips (two so far), and there is plenty of space for dogs, kids and gear. Our gas mileage has averaged 30/21. We test drove several vehicles including the Kia Sportage and Sorrento, the Ford Escape and Edge, and the Subaru Forester before deciding on this one. The Outback Ltd was the most comfortable, the perfect size and nicely appointed. I love the back up camera. And given the AWD it's a pretty smooth ride. My only complaint is the radio, which can hardly be called a sterero system. There is not a lot of robustness to it. Everything else about the car is wonderful.

The style and interior are less rugged-looking (more elegant) than the Forester. The seating is very comfortable, the interior has plenty of room - even in the back seat area - and storage space. I appreciate the back up camera although it takes some getting used to. The Bluetooth is nice. One feature that will come in handy is the luggage rack which can be adjusted to accommodate any kind of roof storage unit (going from two bars that run from front to back to two bars that run across the roof).

The stereo system - I use the term loosely - is not great, despite having 6 speakers.

need new engine
By dummy1234

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

the outback suffers from a fair 4 cylinder engine. it takes 75 horse power for the all wheel drive system. which leaves only leaves 95 hp. thats why it is a poor performer. and the cvt transmission makes the engine drone. previous 2009 didn't drone. time to replace boxer engine?? also headlights don't shine far enough to front - mostly to sides ???

style, cargo rooml