2000 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
GET A CLUE BUY A SUBARU!
By outbacksleeper on 04/08/12 22:34 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD

Seriously been reading some of these reviews and they are a joke! My Outback has 220K miles on it AND RUNS LIKE A CHAMP! purchased this car off of a friend that did next to no maintenance at 200K, and after only 500 dollars in little things, I can beat the Mustangs off the line! Head Gaskets at 100k are NOT normal to be replaced, and my car was ran hard before owning, unlike other people complaining it's not an issue (lemons?) Tranny is awesome, Handling superb, gas mileage is excellent for an AWD. only issue is the Check Engine Light pops on and off, but that is because of the Cat conv. O2 sensor which is a KNOWN BUG, nothing to worry about though. DEF BUY THIS CAR, IT's BULLET PROOF!

Outback wagon automatic trans, good and bad
By tlpw on 02/11/12 17:38 PM (PST)

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD

Interesting edmunds fails to list the cars with auto trans. Had this car since 09, purchased with 120k for $4800 and has 176k on it now. CEL on since 3 months after I bought it; spent way too much trying to figure it out; dealership states due to oxygen sensors, which are supposedly all one part with the catalytic so would have to replace that whole thing-they told me to keep driving it. Lots of front end issues, huge motor/trans vibrations that no one can seem to figure out, dealer or other subaru masters. Wasted lots of cash there too. Happens whenever I'm stopped in gear, always have to take it out of gear. Better mechanical knowledge needed at dealerships. Seat & driving comfort -10

ENGINE PROBLEMS?????
By linkinparker on 05/12/11 18:19 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD

If my 2000 outback has engine problems then i say thank god the old owners took care of them, i inherited it from my folks when it had 160k miles on it, after 6 years, its just over 270k miles on it, i write this review mainly for my love for my outback and mind you i have to get rid of it soon and the new models arent as reliable if you see this and want something that reliable, practical, and can carry a occasional heavy item then this is your car. Since i've gotten this car i've only really spent about a grand total into minus the norms, gas, wheels, oil changes, ect. wish subaru made their cars like they did back in the early 2ks.

Solid Vehicle
By jkwcivil on 01/13/10 20:38 PM (PST)

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD

I purchased this car used in September '09 with approximately 41,000 miles. Since then I've driven 10,000 miles in different conditions, including ice and mud, and I've found this to be a solid and reliable vehicle. It has the four cylinder engine. I get 23 to 24 mpg with 50% highway and 50% in town. I admit that I'm not an aggressive driver. Most others would probably get a lower gas mileage reading. The suspension is very much like an SUV when traveling off-road or over rough pavement. The all wheel drive gives a secure feeling when the roads are slick. I can see why Subarus are popular in northern states.

Couldn't make it to 100,000 miles!
By Jenster on 12/29/09 14:42 PM (PST)

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD

This car was great in SLC where we bought it, but as soon as we headed east in 2008 the trouble all started. 85000 miles & middle of Iowa and catalytic converter blew and needed replaced. Which we just replaced AGAIN a week ago due to check engine light. The car has 112,000 miles and has had 2 catalytic converters, knock sensor, 2 O2 sensors, and a cracked valve repaired all this to the tune of about $8000 in 18 months. Our Toyota Corolla from 1992 runs better than this car. We bought it based on the great ratings of 200000 or more miles... this won't make it! Back to a Toyota owner after this experience.

Head Gasket and Sway Bar - Ouch!
By ensoniqman on 03/20/09 16:14 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD

We bought our 2000 Subaru Outback Wagon as second owners over 4 years ago & the engine has slowing been declining since then. Great looks and reputation, but I wish we had researched the engine a little more. Head gaskets are known for blowing at under 100k miles on these Subarus, and our was no exception. The front sway bar also sheared off. Never had this problem with my Toyota or Hondas in the past. We also had an oil analysis performed by Blackstone Laboratories three years ago. Their results came in good, but that was before the gasket blew. We maintained the engine regularly with a new belt, synthetic oil, new plugs & filter.

Highly Recommend
By smColour on 01/28/09 14:40 PM (PST)

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD

I highly recommend this car to anyone who regularly drives in not so good road conditions. This car was my first real purchase at age 18 and I love every second with it. With the winter weather conditions of 8 feet of snow in Southern Oregon, this car has had no problem it it. It is comfortable in long road trips and very reliable. Nothing has gone wrong with it (knock on wood) but even if something does, the performance I've had so far already makes up for any future errors. It doesn't get the best mileage, although for all wheel drive it's pretty good. I love my Subaru Outback and wouldn't make a trade for anything.

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon
By Misha on 02/15/08 04:15 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car based on safety and reliability records. At 80,000 miles I had to replace the trans, to the tune of $3700. I drive 2 kids around the suburbs of chicago - what more can I say? I also just found out that my head gasket needs replacing ($1300) although at 110,000 miles I suppose that's not out of the question. Mechanical issues aside, I love this car, although it is noisy above 60mph, it can't be beat on chicago's winter roads. It's a great option to the gas-guzzling suv. I had planned on driving this into the ground; I was just hoping that the "ground" was a little further away.

Seven Years in
By Subie Man on 08/25/07 14:19 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD

Purchased new, now have 77K on it. I love Subarus, and this one has its highs and one low. Snow and wet conditions cannot stop this car. I have tried to lose traction (all season radial tires, not snow rated) and can't. Love the reliability except for the head gasket that needed replacing - the car was past warranty (uh-oh), yet Subaru covered it (phew). No other repair issues, brakes are still fine, even. 20/27 MPG, even with Thule box on top.

Was a good car
By Rh1112 on 04/17/07 11:09 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD

Just in the last 2 years I feel like this car turned into the What Next car. Headgasket replaced during warranty, at around 34000 miles. Needs it again at 113000. Last year rebuilt the tranny and replace CV boots, $2500. This year rear O2 sensor, $500, due to check engine light. Then the catalytic converter, $1500, also due to check engine light. Still needs head gasket and oil leak repair, would be around $2500. I put in $4500, I can't afford another $2500. I have to DUMP THIS CAR! I was really hoping to drive this for a few more years, but now have to get rid of it.