2009 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Total Waste of Money
By Sorry Customer on 12/01/09 18:27 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've driven this car 7,000 miles now and it's spent 6 days in the shop in 4 months. The tires have to be inflated every couple of weeks, it burns oil and the automatic shifts unpredictably. Driver's sun visor has been replaced 3 times, as it won't stay put and it's broken again after only 2 weeks. On several occasions the car has refused to accelerate for several seconds when the pedal is depressed. There was a rattling noise going up hill that forced the dealer to completely reinstall the exhaust system and heat shields. The stereo system is so cheap it's painful to listen to. This is the worst car I've ever owned, a complete piece of junk. So much for Subaru's quality reputation.

WRX Finally!!
By Eclem on 11/14/09 10:08 AM (PST)

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned 4 Impreza's so, sure; I drink da Kool-Aid. I had my own mfgr's. rep. business for 17 years and Impza's were THE answer for lots of winter driving all over New England. The performance / price quotient was perfect. Am now retired and driving less than 10k / yr - so I finally got the "slightly" impractical / monster fun WRX 5-door Premium. AWD has saved my bacon for many years so I had to stay with it - and Subaru reliability has been so solid - had to stay there too. Yep, the audio quality is lacking but I don't really need much juice to listen to my redneck talk shows. FM reception IS very good - we live in the country so it must be. Did spring for Winter 205's on 16x7 Alloys.

Disappointing
By Ollie on 10/20/09 21:58 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Silver BBS (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Just a huge disappointment. It's slow (watch as a BMW 3-series can almost out-run you, and a 135i actually can), it has more body roll than an average taxi (watch as everyone almost falls out of their seat when you go around a freeway on-ramp), it has more road noise than an eighteen wheeler, and there's more rattles than you'll find in an average day care center. Buy a WRX and save 10k. I completely regret buying my STI.

So far so good
By Phil on 10/12/09 05:29 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my Impreza in May after putting over 190,000 miles on my 2000 Volkswagen Golf. I feel that the Impreza offered the best for the money compared to the other cars in its class. It may not get the best fuel mileage but makes up for it, in my opinion, by offering AWD. I drive pretty conservatively and have averaged 28 mpg in 11,100 miles. While the tactile quality of the interior may not match that of my VW, the overall design and ergonomics are very good. The Subaru dealership experience that I've had so far, for oil changes, has been very good. Wonderful car.

Great so far
By Teddy on 10/05/09 14:22 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the car with my work discount, plus end of the year 0.0% financing, so it turned out to be a great deal. I wasn't sure that I was going to like the car at first, because I switched over from a SUV. But I realized quick that I made a good decision. Comparing to my old truck, mpg is not bad, mainly city driving I get almost 25 average. Being 6'2 the car is pretty comfortable with the help of the adjusting seat. I definitely recommend the 5spd instead of the automatic, which is kinda sluggish.

One Year Old Now
By Randy on 10/04/09 18:40 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Impreza Outback Sport for a year now. The ride and responsiveness of this vehicle is superb for a smaller car. Interior room and comfort is wonderful, and road noise is minimal. Truly a wonderful vehicle. The only thing this car suffers from is a very poor quality paint. After only six months it had literally dozens of large 1/4" paint chips on the hood and roof, and every time I looked there seemed to be more. Fortunately, Subaru is backing up their product, and it is going in for a new paint job on the hood and roof tomorrow. I wish they would paint the entire vehicle just to make sure the rest of the paint on the car is ok too, but I don't thing that is going to happen.

Awesome performance
By Jerry on 09/30/09 19:12 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Quick, very quick 0-60, and lots of torque at highway speeds. One car mag says 4.7 secs 0-60 and that's not far off, which puts it in a league way above its price. Gas mileage about 24- 25 highway when you can keep your foot out of turbo, otherwise 21-22. AWD grip and handling superb even though the car mags say it is a little soft. Had it since March, got 7K miles on it and have loved every minute.

It's a lemon
By Not imprezed on 09/29/09 19:17 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car in July. It burns over one quart of oil every 1000 miles. It has soot on the bumper near the tail pipe. Subaru is dragging their feet on replacing it, they want to install a new short block. The oil is dirtier than my wife's car that has 100,000 miles. It's a lemon.

My first Subaru
By JohnPublic on 09/23/09 09:08 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have been a loyal Honda fan for years but when looking around for a car to replace my beloved 1998 Acura Integra found the Honda spaceship interior horrible. I test drove the Subie Impreza and found an interior that was very comfortable and functional for a 200# 6ft 3in guy (my head doesn't hit the ceiling and my legs have room). I was also impressed with the horsepower and torque (something even the Si doesn't have). So, this formerly loyal Honda guy bought an Impreza 5-door hatch and love it!

Sticks to the road with an attitude....
By Montana Man on 09/06/09 03:30 AM (PDT)

Another great Subie. I have an 08 Outback and a 09 WRX. Fast?....oh yea! Handles like a rally car and goes in the snow. The best of both worlds, along with Subaru's legendary reliability. Getting on the freeway is always exciting, 0 to 100 in a flash...I'm in my sixties now and am loving the exhilaration of having a race bred rocket, with the drive- ability for all weather conditions. A great value from the folks at Subaru. Gas mileage? If that's a concern, buy a Prius. Purchased with the SPT Cat Back exhaust, Short Throw Shifter and Turbo Gauge.Interior Foot-well Lights are a very cool touch.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Subaru Impreza in VA is:

$150 per month*