Used 2009 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Great vehicle but very poor longevity
By Randy Buss

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I reviewed this vehicle when I purchased it brand new and gave it super good ratings in ignorance. Though overall, it is a good vehicle, however, I didn't get longevity from it.

On Friday (7-31-15) my vehicles engine blew without reason. Two weeks prior, I checked the fluids (oil in particular) and all levels were good, but on the way home from work on Friday I suddenly felt and heard loud clanking sounds along with a drop in acceleration power going up a hill on the highway. I was fortunate to be right at a rest area exit when this occurred so as to immediately turn into it, to which I coasted into a parking spot because the engine stalled just as I entered the rest area. When I checked the oil, the dip stick was completely dry. The engine didn't seize up, so I had my wife deliver me more synthetic oil and a new filter. After draining the previous oil out into a pan at the rest stop (which was full of metal flakes/glitter and didn't give me good confidence for a positive outcome), I changed the filter and put new 100% synthetic oil (which I always use) into the engine in the hopes no major damage occurred, but when started it, it was clearly not runnable. When the tow truck arrived, the towing mechanic started it and turned it off immediately and said it sounds like something was ready to fly apart. The next day they informed me the engine is blown and needs to be replaced with a rebuilt or new engine. Estimated cost: $4,500 to $5,000 to replace the blown engine with a rebuilt engine.

What upsets me and disturbs me the most about this is I took meticulous care of the vehicle, as I do with all of our vehicles. Furthermore, when the engine blew (started making horrible loud clanking sounds) no warning lights lit up on the display until the engine stopped running. No low oil pressure lights, no low oil level lights, no check engine lights, nothing! And how is it that it burned through three of the four quarts of the oil withing a two week span.

When this occurred the car only had 120,000 miles on it, and was only 7-8 years old. Granted, I haven't had any issues with it until now, but I also hadn't planned on having to fork out $4000-$5000 for a rebuilt engine, or purchase a new vehicle for at least another 10 years. All of the vehicles I've owned (Pontiac, Mercury, Dodge, Nissan) I've used for at least 15 years each and well into the 250,000 mile range, and I've never had any major problems with them.

With the research I've done since this incident, I've discovered a class action law suite against Subaru for an issue with their engines that strongly resembles what may have happened with my Subaru engine, to which the prosecuting attorneys disclose facts that Subaru has known about the issue, Subaru has neither disclosed information about the engine issue to their customers or done anything to correct the issue. Instead, they continued to sell cars with a serious known issue which could be life threatening under certain circumstances.

Prior to this incident, I planned on making this car last me another 10 years, at which time I would purchase only one more vehicle prior to retiring. My mind was made up it was going to be a Subaru vehicle because I loved it. However, as a result of this incident and the class action law suite against Subaru I've discovered, it pains me to say my confidence in Subaru has completely blown up with my Subaru engine, and I will NEVER purchase another Subaru.

Impreza Outback Sport 2009 manual
By MAM

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned a Toyota Camry, Avalon, VW Passat, BMW 328xi, and Honda Civic Si. I enjoy the Impreza better than any for several reasons. Manual transmission is fun. Just under optimal power at 170 hp (basic model) but more than enough for 95% of needs. Can drive it anywhere, anytime, any weather virtually without worry (like a mountain goat). Better than rated milage (avg 27 mpg). Very practical for dragging around stuff for kids at college. Highly rated safety pick. The BMW is twice the price and not as much fun to drive. Will probably buy another in the future when needed. Luv it.

Practicality, agility, driving ability in poor weather, AWD

Interior material could be a little nicer. Offer a slightly more powerful (more than 170 hp but less than WRX) with manual transmission. Perhaps 200 hp like the Honda Si would be optimal balance.

Disappointed
By Miguel

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

traded my awesomely outstanding 2001 2.5rs coupe, for a 4door outback sport. have been driving it for about 15 months/10,000 miles. handles great, esp. in snow. power is subdued. mpg 22- 25 vs my 4runner 21-24. problems shifting into reverse. noisy esp. with roof racks in cold weather. nice weather package. battery issues, car would not crank a couple of times, had to charge battery. worry about not starting.

style, AWD, handling, versatility, 6 cd changer, price,steering wheel controls, heated seats, deicer

sluggish power, trouble shifting into reverse, mpg, battery issues, silly but a coin holder would be nice, questionable reliability

Great so far
By Teddy

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the car with my work discount, plus end of the year 0.0% financing, so it turned out to be a great deal. I wasn't sure that I was going to like the car at first, because I switched over from a SUV. But I realized quick that I made a good decision. Comparing to my old truck, mpg is not bad, mainly city driving I get almost 25 average. Being 6'2 the car is pretty comfortable with the help of the adjusting seat. I definitely recommend the 5spd instead of the automatic, which is kinda sluggish.

AWD, handling, fun to drive, comfortable, 5spd, mpg gauge, aux input in radio

speakers are horrible, road noise, headlights could be brighter

First time owner
By First time owner

2009 Subaru Impreza Hatchback Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my very first Subaru car (2009 Impreza Outback Sports), and I'm loving every minute of it. I've test drove the base model version, and I'll tell you that the Impreza Outback Sports was a very good choice. Also, I've driven the Outback Legacy as a loaner car, and I'm not very impress by the way it drives. Impreza Outback Sports is very fun to drive, very smooth on bumps and pot holes, and hugs the road very well. Although the gas mileage is under subpar, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Furthermore, what I really like about the vehicle is the interior room, and the seats are very comfortable.

The AWD is the main reason I bought this car. Subaru is well known for their AWD design.

I would recommend a factory sunroof. For some reason, this model doesn't come with sunroof.