2001 Nissan Xterra Consumer Review: I'll miss my Xterra

2001 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Review

I'll miss my Xterra
By JP on

2001 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck new and in 4 years put over 90,000 miles on it. I knew I was getting a truck, and it rides and sounds like a truck (lots of road noise). The engine was good (a little underpowered), never giving me any problems; however the CD player borke, the power windows rarely worked after 40K miles, the A/C fan only worked on high and the gas mileage is not very good. However, I really liked this truck and if my wife was not going to be commuting 500 miles a week to grad school, I would have kept it and driven it into the ground. I'll miss this truck, and if they ever get the MPG up, would consider buying a newer model. I got a very good trade on it, $1000 above edmunds very easily.

Body style. Great stock tires (I got 85k on them). Loved the 6-disc changer, when it worked. Great stearing wheel controls (radio/cruise).

Gas mileage, less road noise, better components. Simple things (CD player, power windows, A/C fan, display lights) break too easily. Fold down seats. Haveing to take the bottom of the seats out and put them somewhere to enlarge the cargo area is a real pain. Tough to get in the back.