Used 2001 Nissan Xterra XE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2001 Nissan Xterra SUV

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

I Love my Xterra
By lisamd2

2001 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Xterra in 2003 with 1400 miles on it. It now has 154K and still running. I've had to do a few minor things over the years, new clutch (5 speed), also the fan clutch, belts and a small leak in the windshield I fixed with sealer. But nothing major, Knock on wood. I would love to purchase another Xterra that's how much I love Nissan's quality. I've upgraded some things, running boards, new bumpers, tires.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is good, the style and open feel, yet feeling safe driving it.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing really. Good Car

Improving but not ready for prime time
By INOU

2001 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This SUV will get you from A to B, it rides decently, and gets decent mileage. I had it for two years and I purchased it when it was 2 yrs old. No major problems. It's safe and designed well specifically the exterior. The interior lacks leg room, and needs more pep from a stopped position. The clutch was not as smooth as others, and the gas mileage was average. Middle of the road, not in the Toyota or other big boys league but improving.

Point A to B
By twoutes1

2001 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Reliable vehicle. I am not a big fan of SUVs, so right off the bat I'm biased, however, for the price it was worth it. It doesn't compare to the big guys in terms of comfort, the acceleration from a stop is fair at best. It does not have decent gas mileage nor, if you need it, leg room.

Favorite Features

The rack. Built relatively sturdy, a safe SUV.

Suggested Improvements

More interior head and leg room. A smoother more comfortable ride. It should get better gas mileage while having a little pep to it.

1ST SUV
By YO

2001 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first time owning a SUV. I fell in love until I had to fill the gas tank. The gas mileage on this SUV is very bad for a 4cyl vehicle. There is no get up and go. How could you have a visor without vanity mirrors? Take this SUV and start over from scratch. And next time have a female design it.

Favorite Features

Height of vehicle. I am no longer afraid of driving in front of 18 wheelers or other SUVs with their headlights in my eyes.

Suggested Improvements

GAS, GAS, GAS.

GREAT SUV
By TWEETY

2001 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE OWNED A SUV. I LOVE THE ROOM IN MY XTERRA. I HAVE RECEIVED SO MANY COMPLIMENTS FROM PASSENGERS IN THE BACKSEAT. THEY LOVE THE STADIUM STYLE SEATING. I WILL NEVER OWN A CAR AGAIN!!

Favorite Features

ROOM, SMOOTH RIDE, TURNING IS SO EASY, COMFORT IN SEATING.

Suggested Improvements

I WOULD SUGGEST FACTORY TINTED FRONT SIDE WINDOWS TO BE STANDARD ON ALL VEHICLES. ALSO WOULD BE GREAT IF THE GAS MILEAGE WAS BETTER.