Used 2008 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

A fun little 4 cylinder...2 year lease
By MD

2008 Nissan Sentra SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I've owned this car for almost a couple years and have had zero problems with it. Regular maintenance at the dealer but no surprises of any kind (the bad kind). It has decent pep for a 4 cylinder, can keep up with most cars on the road. Not a huge fan of the CVT, but can switch to the paddle shifters. Lots of head room and very comfy seats in the SER. Needs to have VSC, tilt steering wheel and sound control on steering wheel. A little bumpy on harsh roads, but very smooth and firm on normal roads. 26.5 MPG on mostly city driving. Overall, I've enjoyed the car, but I'm getting close to 40 and need the V8 roar, so I'll be turning this pup into the dealer at the end of the leas

Favorite Features

Seats, MPG, paddle shifters

Suggested Improvements

Needs to have VSC, tilt steering wheel and sound control on steering wheel. CVT for 4 cylinders is questionable...ok for more powerful V6's

Disappointed and filled with regret
By Jonathan

2008 Nissan Sentra 2.0 SL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I get upset every time I hear about the toyota accelerator recall. I honestly feel that the way this car performs in the snow, slush, sleet, ice and even rain is more dangerous than any accelerator problem. I'm from the midwest, and I grew up driving in the snow. I've never had a car perform so poorly and feel so dangerous as this one. Even on roads with a dusting of snow, you can feel the sentra fishtailing and moving all over the road. There are many ways around an accelerator problem, but there is no way to keep this car under control except for slowing down to a crawl. Nissan has a real issue here. If I had the decision to make again, no way I would have bought the sentra.

Suggested Improvements

The rear end, the electronic steering, the weight distribution. Something needs to be changed to make this car perform safely

So Far So Good
By PHauth

2008 Nissan Sentra 2.0 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought a 2008 Nissan Sentra after owning a pickup for years. I live in Northern Montana and thus far I have been happy with the handling on snow and ice. Unfortunately, Nissan does not offer a block heater for the 2008 model. Instead they offer an oil pan heater, which does OK. I recently started the car in -30 weather and had no problems. The interior is comfortable and roomy for a sedan. I stand 6'4 and have no problems with head or leg room. My biggest problem thus far has been with the fuel efficiency. To date I have only averaged around 23MPG when I was promised upwards of 30MPG. Overall, a good vehicle for the money.

Favorite Features

Trunk space, handling, exterior design

Suggested Improvements

Equip with an engine block heater.

All around great car
By PHA

2008 Nissan Sentra 2.0 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

After trying all the competitors, I bought this car for 2 main reasons. 1, the ride is better than with any other car its size. When I have passengers for the first time, that is what they usually comment on. It rides like a larger car. 2, it offered more features for the money. When accelerating, I try to keep my RPMs below 3,000. My average MPG is 32 in the summer, 31 in the winter. I've gotten as high as 36 on the freeway with cruise. How a person drives makes a big difference on MPG. The CVT is smooth, but not that fast on takeoff. If you want speed, buy a sports car. The stereo sounds great. The car is very comfortable and roomy. I really felt I got the most for my money.

Favorite Features

The ride, MPG, trip computer, keyless entry, roomy cabin and trunk, stereo speakers, solid feel, steering wheel controls.

Suggested Improvements

None really. Any features I would want would be available in more pricey models.

Nissan good or bad ?
By Sentra owner

2008 Nissan Sentra 2.0 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I've had my Sentra for 16 mos. and I am not happy at all. The engine is NOT quiet. I was back at the dealer after one month. A noise came out from the engine like a valve opening and closing under pressure, very loud. They (dealer service) said that is not a problem until the check engine light from board is on!! Still I have that noise. And is a very lazy car for 2.0l engine. Inside is poor quality, immediately scratched up from just the belt. I'm very disappointed with my Sentra. Also I own a Nissan Quest and this one is very smooth and quiet car.(even if I had some problem like water inside the trunk... and shaking doors, dead battery after 3 mos). Think twice before you buy!

Favorite Features

exterior design

Suggested Improvements

Keyless entry. Needs to be better noise insulation between the cabin and undercarriage and or more work on the engine being noiseless