2003 Nissan Pathfinder SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:
Very good vehicle
By davidh11 on 01/27/14 16:07 PM (PST)

2003 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I originally had a used 2000 Pathfinder and put over 170K miles on it and never had a problem with it. I traded it in (only because I wanted something newer and sportier) on a 2004 Maxima which turned out to be a piece of crap car! I went back to a Pathfinder this time buying a used 2003 Pathfinder and love it so far. The only real issue so far has been a cosmetic one; I believe the paint quality is poor. Keep in mind it has 130k on it but I've never had a vehicle's paint chip like this one does. Besides that, I have no complaints other than of course the sh-tty gas mileage but fortunately it does not require premium unleaded.

Solid Vehicle
By mrcarp on 04/13/12 07:30 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased used from a work aquaintance in 2006 with only 17,000 miles. Now has 58,000. So far, so good. Same issues, CD skips when cold, leather around seat adjusters cracked a bit, heat shield rattle, evap leak - check engine light has been on for about 4 years now. For those with same issue, I would try a new gas cap for a potential fix. Also, use Maguire's leather treatment - works great & eliminates the golden retriever smell. Had new oil pan, etc. installed in December 2011 for about $1,000. So far cost of ownership is as expected - we live in Vermont & the winters are brutal on vehicles.

Homerun
By doodoobrown on 05/25/11 18:35 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've always loved the pathfinders since seeing the first one back in the late 80's. my wife and i needed an suv but without the nightmares we had when we owned a jeep. We purchased a 2003 SE with 54K on it. As of today 5/25/11, it has 124,000 miles on it. Gas mileage SUCKS. i'd be lucky to get 17mpg mixed overall, but the vehicle weights over 5000 lbs. Aside form routine maintenance, and a few ware/tare part replacements, the vehicle has been a sound performer. It's not big, but its comfortable to drive. It's been through hell and back the past 4 years, but it keeps on ticking.

7 Year Review (LE Model 2WD)
By ses3699 on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new in sep'03 and have 120,000 miles. Comfortable, dependable, good power. Replaced one front wheel bearing, battery, brakes at 60,000 miles. Dealer fixed catalytic converter at 70,000 miles under warranty. Replaced front struts, shocks at 110,000 miles and belts at 50,000 and 100,000 miles. Original bridgestone tires replaced at 35,000 miles. Went to Michelin and replaced them at 105,000 miles with Michelin. Get 19 mpg driving from stop-and-go to 80 mph every day to work (40 miles each way). Cd skips when cold. Driver seat leather getting rips near controls. Steering wheel radio controls are becoming finicky. Cup holder lid hinges.Towed trailers on several 2000 mile trips

It's ok
By NICOLE on 08/13/10 11:17 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 03 pathfinder a year after the new body style came out. At the time I didn't need the 3rd row seat but now wish I purchased that instead. shortly after purchasing I brought it back in because I had a heat shield loose and exhaust leak. My service engine light is always on, I have it shut off and after driving anywhere from 60-200 miles it turns back on because an evap leak. I recently had a smoke machine hooked up to it and was able to find the leak near the gas tank. I have removed almost all the heat shields and replaced my muffler twice and had it fixed once.

My two cents.
By Vitaliy on 07/24/10 20:29 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Owned a previous model 98 same problems as with new. At 75,000 replace exhaust. At 78k front wheel bearings and belts. Good in the snow, cramped seats in the back. Overall never left me strangled anywhere but keep in mind check engine light will come on once you hit 75k Evap system leak just like my old one. Nissan just cant get that system right. Gr8 for carrying stuff from home depot (sheet rock, plywood etc...) not the best for long trips as seats are not comfortable especially in the back. I don't know how those people are claiming to average 24 mpg hwy and 20 city the best I manage is 12 mpg city and 17 mpg hwy. Transmission is going at 84k and front suspension needs work again.

Tough rig
By swmiller on 03/24/10 20:24 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I drive my cars til they die. I'm 50 years old and this is my favorite vehicle. Whether driving around town, going skiing or heading out camping this is the best rig. Of course I wish it got 25 MPG, but I'll settle for 19- 20. Seats are great. Hate the 2006+ models..uncomfortable. Powerful engine. I've had it five years, drive 25k per year and very few issues.

So far pretty good
By Steveo on 12/23/09 13:12 PM (PST)

2003 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is vehicle steeped in its own tradition, one that has ebbed and flowed stylistically and mechanically with the various SUV trends. Simply put, it is a very well-built, reliable vehicle that has had a few sputters along the way - in 03-04 it was a bit of an identity crisis, with two main flaws: poor fuel economy and bad rear seating. However, it makes up for it with excellence in other areas. Recently I passed a semi-truck on a snowy road at 120km/hr, something I just wouldn't do with every vehicle - it's got plenty of zip, traction, overall quality. Just think twice about how much that back-seat is used by adult passengers, and be willing to pay 20% more for gas than a car.

Not pleased with my purchase
By me on 09/10/08 12:20 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I traded in a 95 Cadillac and a 99 Tahoe. I’m really disappointed with this vehicle, not even a week after I bought it, I had the a.c. compressor go out and there was an exhaust leak. Now when I accelerate it still sounds like there’s an exhaust leak and lacks the get up when I step on the gas. The other thing with it there's something loose that rattles when I'm driving. The driver seat is really uncomfortable, the room in this vehicle is very limited to what I'm used to when I had my Tahoe, even my Brougham had more room than this Pathfinder. I'm regretting this purchase would not purchase another one, I should've gone with the Toyota 4Runner at least its reputation is a heck of a lot better.

I love it!
By Abby C on 06/16/08 18:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my '03 Pathfinder in Aug '05 and ever since it's been wonderful. Yeah, the gas mileage isn't anywhere near a hybrid --but if that's what you're looking for then buy a Civic. But my Pathfinder is great!! I've never had any mechanical problems. The only problem I had was with the heat shields. They became rusted and was removed, but that's what I get for living in Chicago. Let me tell you, I absolutely HATE driving in the snow, but the 4WD helps a lot. I love the bose, heated seats, 6CD changer, programmable driver's seat, & everything else! My boyfriend was mad because I made the decision of buying this car without him, but he (being the car guy he is) even admits it was worth it!!