Used 2003 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Great Car, Great Value
By catnip63

2003 Nissan Pathfinder SE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've always been a Nissan Pathfinder fan, till now ( I hate the new body style) I've owned my 2003 for 5 years now. I live in Utah and it's the best 4 wheel drive I've owned. I've had a 1989, 1990, 1997 pathfinders and now the 2003. I have never had it strand me or had any expensive repairs. I do all the recommended maintenances though. The gas mileage would be my only "con" but I wouldn't trade better gas mileage for the power it has. I do love the power and control this car provides. I think for the money this is a solid, reliable, well built car. I see lots of 2003 Nissan Pathfinders with over 200,000 miles. I think that says a lot.

Reliability, 4X4, Power.

Very good vehicle
By davidh11

2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I originally had a used 2000 Pathfinder and put over 170K miles on it and never had a problem with it. I traded it in (only because I wanted something newer and sportier) on a 2004 Maxima which turned out to be a piece of crap car! I went back to a Pathfinder this time buying a used 2003 Pathfinder and love it so far. The only real issue so far has been a cosmetic one; I believe the paint quality is poor. Keep in mind it has 130k on it but I've never had a vehicle's paint chip like this one does. Besides that, I have no complaints other than of course the sh-tty gas mileage but fortunately it does not require premium unleaded.

Strong engine, nice looks, 4X4 comes in handy on the beach here in Florida, very reliable, and a all around solid SUV. Take good care of it and it will last a very long time.

needs better gas mileage and a better quality paint job.

Solid Vehicle
By mrcarp

2003 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased used from a work aquaintance in 2006 with only 17,000 miles. Now has 58,000. So far, so good. Same issues, CD skips when cold, leather around seat adjusters cracked a bit, heat shield rattle, evap leak - check engine light has been on for about 4 years now. For those with same issue, I would try a new gas cap for a potential fix. Also, use Maguire's leather treatment - works great & eliminates the golden retriever smell. Had new oil pan, etc. installed in December 2011 for about $1,000. So far cost of ownership is as expected - we live in Vermont & the winters are brutal on vehicles.

Comfortable on long journeys. Dog loves riding in the back seat. Decent truck space. I am a mobile DJ so I am constantly loading & unloading equipment. Easy to install DVD headrests. Killer roof rack. I have put easily 150 lbs. of outdoor gear, bags, etc. in a cargo box with out issue...just don't drive above 60 - 65. Towing...for a small SUV this thing can tow. I have towed 6,000 chippers, many...many tons of wood pellets in a trailer...a really old & heave fiberglass boat. Just make sure your hitch is oversized, that way you are limited by the vehicle & not the hitch...use a class 4. It's old and has lived in Vermont it's whole life...couldn't ask for more from a vehicle.

Increase the open height of tailgate. Rear seat cramped, expecially for a child seat - seats have become enormously large due to increased safety requirements. I think the newer design is bigger in all aspects.

Homerun
By doodoobrown

2003 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've always loved the pathfinders since seeing the first one back in the late 80's. my wife and i needed an suv but without the nightmares we had when we owned a jeep. We purchased a 2003 SE with 54K on it. As of today 5/25/11, it has 124,000 miles on it. Gas mileage SUCKS. i'd be lucky to get 17mpg mixed overall, but the vehicle weights over 5000 lbs. Aside form routine maintenance, and a few ware/tare part replacements, the vehicle has been a sound performer. It's not big, but its comfortable to drive. It's been through hell and back the past 4 years, but it keeps on ticking.

comfort, styling, build qaulity

better AC

7 Year Review (LE Model 2WD)
By ses3699

2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new in sep'03 and have 120,000 miles. Comfortable, dependable, good power. Replaced one front wheel bearing, battery, brakes at 60,000 miles. Dealer fixed catalytic converter at 70,000 miles under warranty. Replaced front struts, shocks at 110,000 miles and belts at 50,000 and 100,000 miles. Original bridgestone tires replaced at 35,000 miles. Went to Michelin and replaced them at 105,000 miles with Michelin. Get 19 mpg driving from stop-and-go to 80 mph every day to work (40 miles each way). Cd skips when cold. Driver seat leather getting rips near controls. Steering wheel radio controls are becoming finicky. Cup holder lid hinges.Towed trailers on several 2000 mile trips

Power, styling, towing capacity, leather interior, vehicle dynamic control, radio controls on steering wheel. Seats fold easy. For size of vehicle has good roominess. Roof rails for hauling plywood, etc. CD changer and radio. Next time I will go with XM radio. Has drain plug on transmission pan.

I do most of my own maintained so wish accessibility under hood was better. Type of differential fluid is not published and dealer would not tell me what to use. Probably will not replace with a new Pathfinder (dealer, styling and mileage). Will look at them but sure fuel mileage will rule them out.