Used 2003 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

2003 Nissan Pathfinder

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Great Car, Great Value
By catnip63

2003 Nissan Pathfinder SE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've always been a Nissan Pathfinder fan, till now ( I hate the new body style) I've owned my 2003 for 5 years now. I live in Utah and it's the best 4 wheel drive I've owned. I've had a 1989, 1990, 1997 pathfinders and now the 2003. I have never had it strand me or had any expensive repairs. I do all the recommended maintenances though. The gas mileage would be my only "con" but I wouldn't trade better gas mileage for the power it has. I do love the power and control this car provides. I think for the money this is a solid, reliable, well built car. I see lots of 2003 Nissan Pathfinders with over 200,000 miles. I think that says a lot.

Favorite Features

Reliability, 4X4, Power.

I love it!
By Abby C

2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my '03 Pathfinder in Aug '05 and ever since it's been wonderful. Yeah, the gas mileage isn't anywhere near a hybrid --but if that's what you're looking for then buy a Civic. But my Pathfinder is great!! I've never had any mechanical problems. The only problem I had was with the heat shields. They became rusted and was removed, but that's what I get for living in Chicago. Let me tell you, I absolutely HATE driving in the snow, but the 4WD helps a lot. I love the bose, heated seats, 6CD changer, programmable driver's seat, & everything else! My boyfriend was mad because I made the decision of buying this car without him, but he (being the car guy he is) even admits it was worth it!!

Favorite Features

Heated seats, 4WD, Bose, leather, the amount of power you get with only a v6!

Suggested Improvements

I wish the back was completely flat when you folded the seats down and I wish the glove compartment was bigger! haha I really have no complaints!!

Not pleased with my purchase
By me

2003 Nissan Pathfinder SE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I traded in a 95 Cadillac and a 99 Tahoe. Iím really disappointed with this vehicle, not even a week after I bought it, I had the a.c. compressor go out and there was an exhaust leak. Now when I accelerate it still sounds like thereís an exhaust leak and lacks the get up when I step on the gas. The other thing with it there's something loose that rattles when I'm driving. The driver seat is really uncomfortable, the room in this vehicle is very limited to what I'm used to when I had my Tahoe, even my Brougham had more room than this Pathfinder. I'm regretting this purchase would not purchase another one, I should've gone with the Toyota 4Runner at least its reputation is a heck of a lot better.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy, the seating improve your exhaust problem. It's nice to have a Bose system but if you want to replace it cost way too much. And a 2003 to have the A.C. go out at only 5 yrs is not good.

Major problem right from factory!
By DMY1973

2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The day I picked up the Pathfinder I experienced a stalling/idling problem. The problem continued to get worse and the first time I used it on the highway, the vehicle would not upshift forcing the engine to redline at 65 mph. The dealer made $1500 worth of torque converter warranty repairs. The parts took a month to come in and the vehicle was completely unreliable to drive. This appears to be fixed now but the windshield stress cracked at 6 mos due to improper installation. I enjoy driving this Pathfinder I am very concerned about its long term reliability. I have another 30 months on my lease and that scares me.

Favorite Features

Comfort - Heated seats - Quiet interior

Suggested Improvements

Reliability issues. Gas mileage is terrible (17-18mpg) for a vehicle that is not very powerful.

It's ok
By NICOLE

2003 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 03 pathfinder a year after the new body style came out. At the time I didn't need the 3rd row seat but now wish I purchased that instead. shortly after purchasing I brought it back in because I had a heat shield loose and exhaust leak. My service engine light is always on, I have it shut off and after driving anywhere from 60-200 miles it turns back on because an evap leak. I recently had a smoke machine hooked up to it and was able to find the leak near the gas tank. I have removed almost all the heat shields and replaced my muffler twice and had it fixed once.

Favorite Features

Leather, 6 disc, 4wd

Suggested Improvements

Heat shields, exhaust and service engine light