1990 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Miss my '90 SE
By wildanimal on 07/24/10 17:58 PM (PDT)

1990 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased a 1990 SE loaded with the CD & ABS the only options available that year. I drove the car for 5 years trading it in at 115,000 for a 1996 Millennium S. The Maxima was so reliable. Went back to dealer once for the CD button sticking (Dealer Installation Error). I got a hole in AC condenser at about 90,000. That was the only trouble I ever had. Changed the brake pads my self & the timing belt. Easiest modern car I ever owned to work on. I ran 115MPH for an hour & she purred. Consistently got 32 mph highway. Best car ever

Will Never Sell
By George on 05/23/10 19:17 PM (PDT)

1990 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Bought in 98 with 123,00 miles. Drove it (and LOVED it) for 30,000 more with just routine maintenance. Had to get a more "mainstream" looking car for work (boss said the window tint made it look too "gangster" for my position, heh). Anyway, this car sat unused in my yard for 5 years: I just could not bring myself to sell it despite numerous offers. Also, could not afford to keep multiple cars tagged and insured, so it just sat, neglected. I have just spent $900 to bring it back to life (battery, filters, sparks,tires etc.) and now remember why I could not part with it. This car is just so much fun to drive! Everything working great except stereo, clock and windows. 21 year old engine! LOVE IT!

Most fun per dollar
By JD on 12/23/09 12:57 PM (PST)

1990 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I have owned 1990 SE manual since 99 and put 202,000 on it. Fun, fast, geared low but still gets up to 32 mpg highway. Average about 26mpg and as low as 22 city. I have replaced timing belt, alternator 2X. Rack and pinion, clutch master cyl. brake master cyl. two fuel injectors (change all 6 and you will get some great gas mileage if they are flow matched/balanced), two front struts, all 4 window regulators (get OEM for fronts and aftermarks for back), flex pipe 2X (the second time I just cut it out from J-pipe and clamped an aftermarket in. Make sure its a full braid not corrugated inner). All tires- General Ameri G4S, Bar.Bravaris, BFGood traction T/A have been great. I prefer 215/60R15.

Thoughts on a first car
By santa k relli on 06/24/07 22:53 PM (PDT)

1990 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I learned to drive a stick with this car and it is truly the first car I've owned. The brakes are a little stiff but the ride is better than my parents 04 Saturn and more comfy than their 98 Suburban.

A great car for over 14 yrs!
By Chad on 09/21/05 21:17 PM (PDT)

1990 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I have owned my 1990 Nissan Maxima SE since my sophomore year in college. This car excelled performance wise for 4 yrs in the mountains of Colorado. The car always started and heated up quiclky in the sub zero temps in Minnesota for 4 years. For the past 7 yrs the car has done great in FL, the A/C always cooling down. The Maxima is a great quality car that will keep on running. The engine is great and the interior has held up very well. Highly recomended.

This car is a keeper
By Maxlover on 01/15/05 14:26 PM (PST)

1990 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1990 Nissan Maxima used in 1992 with 36,000 miles on it. My first unplanned repair was a transmission rebuild at 150,000 miles for $2,500. It sits in my driveway right now with 178,000 miles with full compression in all cylinders. It starts quickly even in -9 degree weather. People offer me money for ti all the time, but I just can't part with anything this reliable. One feature that makes these cars so reliable is that all the electrical connectors are military-grade with full rubber seals. So many cars skimp on connectors, which means they start to get corroded eventually and cause hard-to-diagnose problems. Not this car. If you want a reliable vehicle this is it, and it is a blast to drive as well.

89 Max
By 89 Max on 06/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Car is actually an 89, but I have to post my experience. With 212,000 miles this engine will not quit. It is the most reliable and trouble-free car I have ever owned, even after beating it on the streets of New York and New Jersey for years. I have been failing to fix the many accessories which do fail, waiting for the car to die, but it will not. The power windows and sunroof fail easily. I had three power windows go within a month and know others who had the same problem. Car just passed inspection with nothing, wrong, at over 200k. I told the mechanic this is unprecedented in my 15 years of car ownership

RELIABILITY AND SOLID WORKMANSHIP
By Ken Harris on 05/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle in September of 2003 for $1,500.00 with 96,000 miles. The Maxima's V6 is one of the best engines ever made. For a car that is 14 yrs old the performance is excellent as well as the handling. If Nissan were making this body style I would purchase it brand new today. The 2004 Maxima will never have the reliability of the 1989-1994 body style. There are many more computerized that will malfunction in the newer Maxima models. Once this vehicle dies I will look for a 1994 model,

Love my SE
By Mad Max 3 on 05/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

Best car I've ever owned. She's got 248,000 miles and still fun to drive. This car has been extremely reliable and continues to get great gas mileage - 28 mpg on the highway. The 5-speed has held up great - I'm still driving on the original clutch. I don't hesitate to take my old max out on long road trips - even with a quarter of a million miles! Nice job Nissan!

maximum maxima
By DwightBussman on 03/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Nissan Maxima SE 4dr Sedan

an absolute ball, sport suspension is fun and spritely, v6 moves the car right out, and a great gearbox make this one of my favorite cars to drive.