Used 2010 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Love the car - but poor rear visibility
By Peter

2010 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have owned the car for about 3-months (purchased the vehicle new in June 2010). So far, very pleased. It's very quiet and powerful on the road - and a very smooth transmission. Reliable (so far). As far as handling goes, I noticed the car is not as stable as my '01 maxima. The steering is aggressive, and the brakes are touchy which leads to a jittery drive for your passengers despite trying to drive conservative. The center console storage has a door which is annoying to use and doesn't lock down well (it pops up as you drive). Other than that, seats very comfortable. The rear seat is firm and flat, allowing a passenger to sleep easily if needed on a long trip.

comfortable seats, smooth/quiet performance

Major - very poor rear visibility (Have to be careful - easy to backup into signs, other cars). Minor - internal storage doors (console and rear of shifter) need to be redesigned - its soft-touch door shock-absorbers broke, and the locking latch is too weak (pops up when hitting bumps)

A few surprises
By mbeach321

2010 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I am basically happy with the car but there were a few basic features I was shocked to find were not included in this model (2.5S w/convenience pkg): folding side view mirrors; adjustable lumbar support (even with power seat); and ability to play MP3 file CD's in the standard radio. After driving the car for 3 months now I can say that I really dislike the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) and hate the droning noise the engine makes on hard acceleration. Lesson learned: spend A LOT more time driving the vehicle before purchasing.

Styling, roominess, instrument cluster, dashboard material & finish, great gas mileage.

Seat comfort (for long drives), more advanced std. Radio/CD, lumbar support, folding side-view mirrors, go back to normal non-CVT transmission, get rid of the goofy "space age" tail lights.

Smell of Coolant Already
By mongo

2010 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I'm enjoying my new car, but I recently noticed the smell of coolant after driving it with the a/c on. I did an online search & found other Nissan owners experiencing the same issue. I haven't taken my car in for an inspection, but after reading some posts, it's unlikely they'll find a problem right away. I stress over the fact that I paid a hefty price to buy a new car so I wouldn't have to worry about mechanical issues for awhile & now this has come up. However, no other issues so far.

Handling. Sporty look.

Change interior fabric which looks cheap & is clinging to lint. Hyundai uses a better fabric & combines leather or vinyl trim w/fabric for a custom look & seemingly more durable interior. Replace fabric on door's grab pocket & elbow rest w/leather or vinyl to allow easy cleaning & is longer lasting.

A satisfied Consumer
By Carlita

2010 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought a 2010 Altima five days ago, I have had three other Nissan vehicle before, this one is outstanding, the color is unique and the interior is very comfortable. The different features makes it fun to drive. I have no regrets so far and I hope to enjoy it more as the days roll by.

My favorite feature is the back-up camera, it gives you confident when you put it in reverse.

I think it should have a navigator and this would have made it real complete.

Real gas mileage vs. computer reading
By carolina gal

2010 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

First- the good stuff. The outside is sleek and attractive-gets lots of compliments. After getting used to CVT transmission, I like the smoothness. Seats are comfortable. The bad stuff: the defrost is awful-tried hot & cold air. Cheap tires-showing wear in < 3000 miles. Radio controls on steering wheel-can turn on & change stations, but can't turn it off (on my husband's Sentra, a step down, you can). Gets decent mileage on trips, but not overall; computer reading says 27 mpg tank average, but the actual is more like 20-21. Oh, & the clunking sound near right front tire when start out- mechanic says it's something resitting. Weird. So- good & bad. Our first Nissan, time will tell.

Intelligent keyless entry, sliding armrest, rear armrest, comfortable seats w/ good thigh support

Better front defrost needed. Put decent tires on new cars. Better radio controls on steering wheel, so it can be turned off there. Realistic mpg computer readings. More color choices- I wanted navy w/ gray interior, which isn't an option on navy, so I had to settle on a different color.