2010 Nissan Altima 2.5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

2010 Altima Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Sort Reviews by

noisy
By lato

2010 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

this engine is very noisy

Favorite Features

good acceleration. and push button to start the engine

Not recommended
By mackyd

2010 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I've been living with my Altima 2.5 Sedan for over a year now and I will never have another. I can only describe it as a car for people who don't like driving. Dangerously underpowered, the most uncomfortable front seats I've ever encountered in a modern vehicle, many rattles and squeaks from the interior and exterior, very prone to understeer due to the poor weight distribution, I find the CVT annoying, the - augmented by limited windshield wiper coverage - blind spot at the driver's A pillar is terrible. The trunk hinges are the invasive kind which is unacceptable to me. There is no mechanical key hole for the trunk. I have many more complaints about it but no room to include them all.

Favorite Features

I do like the keyless ignition/ door locks. Although the engine is inadequate and the CVT annoying, the fuel mileage is very good.

Suggested Improvements

This car seems like it was thrown together from a Nissan spare parts bin. I owned a first generation Altima which I loved and still miss. In my opinion, it was a much more fun and solid car. My only suggestion would to rethink this whole vehicle. Scrap this design and start over again. I've had many new vehicles over the years and still cannot believe how poor this vehicle is as compared to other great vehicles in the Nissan stables. Reminds me of a 90's era Ford Taurus.

A Lemon
By Unhappy Mike

2010 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We like the car when we bought it. At 1300 miles, the car wouldn't start, required AAA to come out. Dealership changed the brake switch ("common problem" with this car), and the problem recurred the same day. Two days later happened a third time and had to be towed in... Dealership is trying to make it right, but they clearly don't know how: lemon. Have owned two prior maximas - and gotten great, reliable service from them, but not this one.

Smell of Coolant Already
By mongo

2010 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I'm enjoying my new car, but I recently noticed the smell of coolant after driving it with the a/c on. I did an online search & found other Nissan owners experiencing the same issue. I haven't taken my car in for an inspection, but after reading some posts, it's unlikely they'll find a problem right away. I stress over the fact that I paid a hefty price to buy a new car so I wouldn't have to worry about mechanical issues for awhile & now this has come up. However, no other issues so far.

Favorite Features

Handling. Sporty look.

Suggested Improvements

Change interior fabric which looks cheap & is clinging to lint. Hyundai uses a better fabric & combines leather or vinyl trim w/fabric for a custom look & seemingly more durable interior. Replace fabric on door's grab pocket & elbow rest w/leather or vinyl to allow easy cleaning & is longer lasting.

Real gas mileage vs. computer reading
By carolina gal

2010 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

First- the good stuff. The outside is sleek and attractive-gets lots of compliments. After getting used to CVT transmission, I like the smoothness. Seats are comfortable. The bad stuff: the defrost is awful-tried hot & cold air. Cheap tires-showing wear in < 3000 miles. Radio controls on steering wheel-can turn on & change stations, but can't turn it off (on my husband's Sentra, a step down, you can). Gets decent mileage on trips, but not overall; computer reading says 27 mpg tank average, but the actual is more like 20-21. Oh, & the clunking sound near right front tire when start out- mechanic says it's something resitting. Weird. So- good & bad. Our first Nissan, time will tell.

Favorite Features

Intelligent keyless entry, sliding armrest, rear armrest, comfortable seats w/ good thigh support

Suggested Improvements

Better front defrost needed. Put decent tires on new cars. Better radio controls on steering wheel, so it can be turned off there. Realistic mpg computer readings. More color choices- I wanted navy w/ gray interior, which isn't an option on navy, so I had to settle on a different color.

Seating Problem
By DK46

2010 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have recently taken a 600+ mile trip in my new 2010 Altima. I felt the driver's seat not to be as comfortable as my former '02 Altima. But, the worst part was seating in the front passenger seat. That seat was made too low to the floor and too short for anyone over 5'2". There is no leg support, which tends to cause your back to tighten up. To sit without pain, you must extend your legs forward as far as they will go. Has anyone else experienced this problem? DK46

Suggested Improvements

How about an 'Icon' alerting you when your headlights are turned on a la the Lexus?

Nissan Altima 2010
By nissan

2010 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Smooth, excellent engineering. The best car I have ever driven in the last 23 years.

Favorite Features

One-touch. Your eyes are on the road.

First time Nissan owner
By percboy

2010 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

After 38 years driving conventional automatics and standard transmissions, the CVT took a little adjustment-your brain is so used to that sensation of shift points, that the smoothness of the CVT is strange. But after almost 1200 miles, I've come to really like it and enjoy it's performance- responsive and fun to drive. The manual mode is is a nice feature, when need to pass or just feel nostalgic. The styling is top notch, inside and out, with sl package you get a bunch of great features that add a lot of luxury for the price. Love the leather seating and automatic dual climate control! Gas mileage is great- averaging 28 mpg. I am impressed with how quiet and smooth the car is on all road conditions.

Favorite Features

The CVT trans, exterior and interior styling, solid feel, fit and finish all around, dual exhaust tips, push button start,excellent brake balance and a just right combination of sport/luxury in a family sedan.

Suggested Improvements

Loose the goose-neck trunk hinges! How Stone-age. Not fitting for a car at this level. I agree-the option packages need improvement. I wanted fog lights, but didn't want the tech. Package. So I had them installed as an accessory for $375 complete. Go with the all weather floor mats as well- a perfect fit

Extremely Happy
By Kathy

2010 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased this vehicle on 7/3 best buy great deal I couldn't be happier. I didn't start out looking at the Altima but I kind of stumbled upon it in my search and I am so glad I did. This car has so much class and style I'm amazed at the performance. I purchased it in Navy Blue with the blond leather interior and I gotta tell you it's a head turner.

Favorite Features

CVT engine, leather interior, sunroof lumbar seats I can go on and on. I really love everything about this car.

Suggested Improvements

I really can't think of anything.

2010 Altima 4 Cyl. CVT SL
By Daniel F Spies

2010 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The overall performance is great. I do not like rattles however we found that the sun-roof sliding door will rattle when it is fully closed. The rattle goes away when it is partially or fully open (not the sun-roof itself, only the sliding interior door). I have overcome this problem and found that I really like the car. The get up and go is there when you need it. The CVT transmission provides excellent fuel mileage while maintaining low RPM balanced through the assist of the computer. This car handles very nice through curves on the road. The brake distribution appears to be proportioned perfectly from the front to the rear without unwanted jerky movements. I strongly recommend buying a

Favorite Features

I like the fact that I can set the cruise control and the engine never over rev's when climbing up a hill. The acceleration is clean and smooth with the help of the CVT Transmission. It constantly maintains the desirable RPM to match the road speed without shifting hard like the old automatic trans.

Suggested Improvements

I agree with others who have wrote reviews when it comes to the various accessory packages offered through Nissan. They have to find a solution to the problem if they want to be competitive by others in its class. Simplify the process and offer more standards or at least offer all available accessory