2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews 2

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:
190,000 Miles and Still Going Strong
By guitar_guy on 06/08/11 03:20 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2004. It was February, and the salesman was discouraged as he walked me to the lot, and the car was under a pile of snow. He said all he had was a 4 cylinder with standard transmission... I didn't let on, but that's EXACTLY what I wanted. The car has been a dream to own. I have performed regular maintenance with my own mechanics. I never went back to the dealer, and never needed to. Oil changes every 3000, and regular timing belt changes were the bulk of maintenance. Also plugs every 60k. I replaced two tie rods, and recently an axle (after 189,000). Two sets of brake pads. That's about it. I love this car, and I don't want to part with it.

My 2003 Eclipse GTS
By rmitch86 on 04/15/11 08:11 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I owned a 2001 GS for a few years i inherited it from my parents when they traded up i loved it. When that car was rear ended and totalled in december i purchased a 2003 eclipse GTS gun metal grey. It has 74k and running great. My 01 got up to 212k and was running like a champ. Just do your sched maint. and keep an eye on problem areas. Both have been 5 speed and the feel of the clutch and the way the shifter pops into place is great. Very fun car to drive especially in the summer with the windows down and sunroof open. as long as you take car of the car and keep up with it the eclipse will treat you right. even stock its a head turner.

maybe mine is a lemon?
By torielynn on 02/02/11 14:32 PM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this eclipse for a year now and not a month goes by with out me having to fix something. This is my second Eclipse I had a 99 RS model before this and i loved it! it was my first car and it lasted for 210,000 miles. However this Eclipse is terrible in comparison. it sounds like a diesel truck and no one can tell me why, my seat belts stopped working, i had to replace my o2 and knock sensor, water pump, thermostat twice, it vibrates like crazy and it just hit 100,000 miles. when i got my old eclipse it alredy had 111,000 on it and i never had these problems. if you want an eclipse go with an older model because the 03 sucks.

03 Mitsubishi
By C.Mozeley on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My 03' has 150K miles, purchased new in 02'. Replaced front struts within 2 months. Have replaced the brake pads and rotors 4 times. The brakes start pulsating after 3500 - 4500 miles. Also, 3 heat shields have rusted off, 1 of them within a year's time. Dealership advised me not park on dry grass. Sunroof sticks. Rusty inside engine compartment.

Great used car over100K
By The 3g Man on 05/19/10 09:25 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

2003 Mitsubishi eclipse Gt, v6, Sportronic shifter. Great Exterior look, except the fake vents in the front.v6 engine good power for automatic shifty, not good for turbo boosting.Alloy wheels great touch and clean. Inside, Cheap plastic interior (which is good If you ever need to replace it). I like it. No leg room for people over 5'11. Very small in the back, good for newborns- preteens and adults, no. Seats are very comfortable for long driving. Gas mileage is good, 22 ct/27 Hw. $30 to fill. Slow start@shifting through 1st gear but gets better at 2nd. Expensive 6 cyl tuneup ($550). Timing belt+labor $640. Maintenance regular. Premium gas only. Mits is having a recall, don't get black.

my first car
By eclipze on 04/08/10 07:03 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I got this car for my 16th birthday with 59,000 miles on it my mom drove it back from Pittsburgh to me about 2000 miles. It's baby blue v6 3.0 liter, has good power and I have 2 12 inch sub woofers in the trunk and even at the loudest the car doesn't rattle great car no problems at all with it.

One exellent Ride
By MC on 03/29/10 12:38 PM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Eclipse GT @ 74k miles. Now 2 3/4 years later its up to 121,645 and not one major problem has occurred. I have done all scheduled maintenance as per the service manual, and I always use 91 octane fuel and synthetic oils. My car is a blast to drive especially with windows and sunroof open and the 600 watt sound system blasting my favorite rock music. My car obtains between 24/28 mpg and have recorded an astounding 32 mpg on one tank for a 1k mile trip one way on a 3.0L V6 automatic! For those who complain about bad mpg just remember what Jeremy Clarkson said "it's not what you drive but how you drive it" case in point Prius vs. M3 mpg test, Top Gear.

Awesome
By Ruben on 01/19/10 12:00 PM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my 03 Eclipse used with 35,000 miles in 2005. It currently has 115,000 miles. This car has been a blast to drive. It hasn't given me problems other than routine maintenance (brakes, tires, battery, belts). The sportronic transmission is awesome, although I don't use it as much. I am selling it now because I need a bigger vehicle. Will miss it for sure. Would buy a new eclipse again if the body style on newer eclipses are similar to the 00-05 models.

Attention getter
By good to go on 11/22/09 06:39 AM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My car prior to this was a 95 Saturn sc so you can imagine the power jump. Since then I have done little things to mod it; intake, headers, and ground effects for a clean look and it has been nothing but easy to work with. Two other buddies and I took it to fl from wi and we averaged 35 mpg, the person in the back had to suffer but it made for a very successful spring break. Now it has about 70,000 and there has not been a problem with it yet! Also I have always owned manuals all of my life and this one has a weird gear set up which makes shifting from 1st gear to second gear hard for a smooth ride but I still have had no complaints haha.

Great gas mileage!!!!
By Wilhite on 11/10/09 12:56 PM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car gets great gas mileage! I get an average of 32.5 miles per gallon! My car is a V6 and it really packs a punch! Gets lots of compliments. Glad I purchased it!