Used 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

Fun to Drive!
By sara_huntley

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Eclipse from a private seller in Aug 2012 with 119, 990 miles on it which turned to 120,000 on the way home. The guy didn't tell me all of the problems that came with it but that was expected. The car was over 100k and obviously needed some repairs due to its age. They were all minor fixes that were neglected. Throughout the couple months of fixing these things the car ran very well. I have never been stuck on the side of the road! I love that it came with the power shift for accelerating even with a 4-cyl. With regular maintenance this car can go for 200k+ miles!

Favorite Features

Power Shift, sleek, sporty exterior look, easy to fix up, great first car!

Suggested Improvements

Interior is a little uncomfortable for more than 2 people in a coupe, really low to the ground and hard to get out of

Love the looks, but some design flaws
By andymick32

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car with 60k miles and put 30k miles on the car in 2.5 years before selling. All in all, the car was pretty darn reliable. I didn't have any mechanical issues besides the sun roof which is a known problem. Went to get the car inspected this summer and was told the bottom of the car was rusting out. The mechanic showed me the apple sized hole right underneath the drivers side floorboard and another spot below the gas tank and the fuel filler neck and the trunk lid! The car has some major issues here as certain areas are prone to collect water. Make sure you check these areas before you buy!

Favorite Features

exterior Looks V6 engine Reasonable MPG for engine

Suggested Improvements

Cheap interior Bad design flaws Rust bucket Not made for people over 6'

Hot car, bad mechanics
By flowerstar333

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first car. I bought it at 79k miles used. 6 thousand miles later, we've put $6000 from the day I got it. Dealer sold it with the wrong transmission in it. That was 4000. Something with the steering wasn't right and a few other things that costed 1000. For a few months it was ok. During the summer when I turned it on, it just died after a few seconds. That hasn't happened since. I noticed a creaking sound to the right. It had a worn upper engine mount and transmission mount and a oil gasket leak which all costed 1200 to fix. I wouldn't suggest this for a first especially if you only have a min wage job! It's so much fun to drive but is that really worth all my money?

Favorite Features

I like how you don't have to have the fan on for heat to come out of the vents and you can change the temp. Great acceleration and easy to fit in tight spaces. Nice bass. Love the sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

Could be more reliable. Maybe I just got a lemon but I've had bad luck with it. Not worth all the money I put in. This was my dream car but turned out to be a bust.

Great cars even used if you take care of it
By overboost007

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

OK people lesson I am 6ft 8in tall, 260 lbs, I formally drove a 1999 Honda Accord EX CPE V6 with 248,000. Now I have a 2003 Mitsubishi clipse GTS 5 speed manual that had 98,000 on it when I bought it. The previous owner took great care of it. I went through it hard. I am just a DIY guy that knows car. This car was a good buy because of how it was taken care of. The dealers can clean it up but I know brakes, fuel systems, intake, transmission & engine. It is not rocket science. Research on line and make a good choice. The car runs great I will upgrade the brakes to what I like an just maintain it until I am ready to by a newer vehicle

Favorite Features

The engine runs and shifts smooth, the Injen cold air intake was a plus. No turbo for this car. I will buy a new manifold for better air flow. I run 89 octane not 91 or 93. It does run 87 octane without any engine knocking. But you can tell the performance runs slower with 87 octane. The Infinity Stero system is nice.

Suggested Improvements

The plastic parts squick but I removed the noisey area placed padded tape along the edges squick gone. I wish it had a turbo that is the only thing that keeps this from being a unique Sports Car.

Not bad but parts can be expensive
By capitan_ed

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The overall car isn't bad. I got the car used from a dealed about 7 years ago and put 90k miles of my own for a total of 150k (actual mileage). I gave all it maintenance and regular oil changes. The engine is not as strong as I would like to. I had to reapir it and change multiple valves, gaskets and resolve loss of pressure inside the engine. I live in CA and the smog regulations are strict here I had to get rid off the car for not passing the smog check because the catalytic converter worth more than the car itself. Not for tall people defenitly!

Favorite Features

Small enogh for a single guy, not recomended for family just for a fun ride! The short stick shift handle give you the feel of a racing car. Sits (when newer) made you feel confortable and like racing seats.

Suggested Improvements

The latch for the tunck does not work well, it gave me lots of problems. Some electric issues with the blinkers. Parts are not cheap and insurence can be expensive because it looks like a racing expensive car but it isn't! Poor engine performance and not too stable on the road. Maybe because the after market weels.