2009 Lexus IS 250 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific IS 250 model:
Very pleased with this car
By johnc on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've had the IS250 for 2 months now and it's everything I'd hoped. Great looks, terrific fit and finish on the interior--which sold me over the BMW 3 and even the Audi A4. As others have noted, the ride's not as sporty as some others but I'm not on twisting turning road all that much anyway, whereas the comfort and style are always noted and appreciated. This is my 3rd Lexus (RX & GS) and have loved them all.

Expensive Corolla
By bmh69 on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

My first year leasing the IS AWD has been "fine." It is a sporty looking pre-luxury all wheel drive vehicle, top notch reliability and a spectacular dealership experience. Beyond that it's an expensive AWD Corolla with added bells/whistles. It does do a great job in the harsh Midwest winters, but is not nearly as fun to drive as the Audi/VW cars I have owned in past. Its handling is okay but not sporty; the ride is generally compliant but at times punishing. It never "goes" when you need it to and then whines like a four cylinder. I am generally not as excited to drive this Lexus as I was my previous autos, and sadly look forward to returning to a German AWD car when my lease is up.

great Little Car
By john591 on 02/09/10 17:44 PM (PST)

2009 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

Ownership experience has been positive. The car draws favorable reviews for its styling. The fit and finish are excellent. It is quiet and very solid feeling on the road. Only complaint is getting used to a limitation on driver visibility to the rear.

Big Disappointment
By City Doc on 12/25/09 20:41 PM (PST)

2009 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

I traded in a Audi A4 for the IS250 and have been quite disappointed. The transmission is rough when shifting, it has no get up and go, and the blind spots are huge. I find myself having to look around a lot more in this car and am way more cautious after several near collisions because of the blind spots. The Audi was fun to drive. The IS250 is a chore. I'm getting rid of it after only 1 year.

Fun commute
By chastek on 11/20/09 19:52 PM (PST)

2009 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

This car is my third Lexus. It has typical Lexus build quality, good exterior looks, and great brakes and handling. The car is a much more engaging drive than my ES, but not as demanding as a BMW 3. I'm averaging 27 MPG in mixed driving and thoroughly enjoy my commute now. It's quiet and comfortable, though the rear seats are just for show... no one over 12 will want to sit back there.

Great mid-size sport sedan
By jlandry on 11/10/09 15:47 PM (PST)

2009 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

I chose the IS250 over BMW 3 series and Audi due to superior interior fit and trim. Lexus interior finish is by far higher end than BMW finish at a more affordable price point. Obviously the 250 could use some more power, but you can get that in 350 and the 250 gets great mpg. Combined hwy and cty mileage averages about 26mpg. I get 31mpg on hwy. The audio and nav system is superb. One drawback is not being able to program the nav system while the vehicle is moving. Bluetooth is clear. Dashboard instrumentation layout is very sporty and provides quick reference for temp, tire pressure, mpg and distance to empty. Paddle shifters are nice touch and add some sportiness to daily drive.

Good bang for the buck!
By Wooping on 10/19/09 12:34 PM (PDT)

2009 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've put 9,000 miles on this IS250 Automatic. This is a pretty nice ride. Hard to believe it gets better mileage than a manual. Go figure.

Overall very good but....
By WD on 09/27/09 15:50 PM (PDT)

2009 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

All in all a very good deal, I agree with all the positive features mentioned elsewhere. I read somewhere about an annoying noise from the dashboard that starts few months after having the car, and I actually noticed that, it's from the driver's corner of the dashboard, a high-pitch annoying noise that occurs most on unsteady roads. I play music loud while driving and that can masks it, but a real disappointment.

Great Car
By Paul M on 09/02/09 15:58 PM (PDT)

2009 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

Just bought my 09 Lexus IS250 awd and I love it. The exterior styling is very eye catching and the interior is top quality. The seats are very comfortable, the ride is very smooth and you can barely hear any road noise inside. The radio and AC area without navigation is boring but its functional. Could use a little more power but its decent and the car handles very well. Its a very small car so a small backseat is expected. The back-seats aren't usable unless the front seats are pushed very far up, but all around its a great car!

Wonderful car
By James on 07/28/09 17:24 PM (PDT)

2009 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

We have had this car for a month now and simply love it. The external styling is best in class and the interior is top notch. Every detail is well thought out and the fit and finish is outstanding. I can understand why other reviewers focus on the power, but I consider this car a luxury car that is sporty, rather than a pure sports car. We test drove the A4 2.0T Quattro (used to own an Audi allroad) and really liked it also, but the interior seemed outdated and the engine, although better kick, did not seem as refined as the IS250. And, in the end we didn't want to be in the Audi shop all the time like we were with the allroad. Bottom line, Lexus really did a fantastic job on this car.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Lexus IS 250 Sedan in VA is:

$146 per month*