Used 2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Great all around vehicle
By mdirvin

2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

We purchased the jeep to tag along with our RV. It has been the perfect choice. My wife loves the way it drives around town, its comfortable on the highway. We have been able to go places that we never could have in a less capable vehicle. We are now able to go on unimproved/unmaintained service roads in MT, and CO to do hiking and photography. The gas mileage is much better than expected. We have never gotten less than 20mpg, over the road I get 24+, and of course my wife gets 26+. She just has a gentler right foot. Its getting to the point now that if I want some "Jeep" time I might have to get one for myself. We are thinking of getting small trailer, and heading up to Alaska in 2010.

Favorite Features

The freedom it gives us to go places that would be impossible to reach in a less capable vehicle. We have done some hiking that was impossible before. The ride, and handling is excellent much better than expected. We are really pleased with the gas milage, after the terrible reports we had heard.

Suggested Improvements

Having driven manual transmissions all my life this is my first automatic. My wife insisted. While I am finding the auto is better on rough uneven roads I miss the engine braking. I would like to see some sort of exhaust brake or computer programed downshifting. So it would not freewheel downhill.

Love the Sahara
By Dan

2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my first Sahara in 1998. I Put 100,000 miles on it with no major problems. Just bought a 2009 2dr Sahara...absolutely LOVE IT! I must admit I test drove other SUV's before making my purchase. The others just don't compare. The Sahara is solid, rides great, is quiet (with hardtop) and is a very reliable, fun vehicle to own! (and, if you have to, you can go wherever you want!)

Favorite Features

Looks, cargo space (for golf clubs), Infinity stereo, smooth ride, turns on a dime (and turns heads), Freedom hard top is easy to use, no blind spots. Previous Jeep owners will definitely appreciate...New Jeep owners will be glad they bought!

Suggested Improvements

Bigger cup holders (LOL but true)

Just a kittle more power please
By Daved

2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I planned on buying a base Wrangler X and tricking it out myself. My wife talked me out of it a said to get a 2dr Sahara. Thankfully I listened to her. The convenience features are great. The ride is good and the quality is among the best vehicles I've owned. The freedom top is easy to use. I had the Dual Top Group and have no intention of using the soft top. I sold the soft top to purchase a Banks Cold Air Intake and Cat-back Exhaust. Hopefully, this will add some much needed power. I would buy another one in a heartbeat and recommend it to anyone that is looking to add some fun to their daily drive. I had no idea this much fun could be had on four wheels.

Favorite Features

Freedom Top is awesome as well as the Infinity sound system with the subwoofer.

Suggested Improvements

Just needs more power. A Hemi V-8 should be standard in the Sahara.

Rocky Mountain Wrangler
By JetMech

2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I recently purchased a orange 2009 Sahara 2dr hardtop. It is loaded with all the goodies that make driving fun and comfortable. It is very quiet even at highway speeds and free of rattles and squeaks. Handling is good and it has a very tight turning radius, the ride can be a little choppy at times. The auto trans/eng combo works well, smooth shifting and adequate power along with 20 mpg economy. The exterior.... Awesome! The interior... Is somewhat unrefined with a lot of hard plastic, the seats are very comfortable. The climate control works well as does the my gig system, all of the controls are easy to use and the instrument panel is easy to read. I really enjoy driving my wrangler, it rocks!

Favorite Features

I just feel good driving my wrangler, it looks great and its a lot of fun to drive. The my gig system works well for me and the remote start is great for those cold mornings. I guess the way it looks and drives are what I like the most. What can I say... It's a Jeep, there is nothing else like it.

Suggested Improvements

A little more storage on the inside, padded armrests would be Nice and better sun visors. A more powerful engine couldn't hurt either. These are minor issues that I have and not something that ruins my day.

AWESOME!
By Blake

2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this Jeep about 2 weeks ago and I love it. It handles great on and off road and the soft top is much quieter than I expected. My wife and I hit some trails this past weekend and this thing is unstoppable. We covered lots of mud and rocks and it never even slipped. My only complaint so far is the operation of the soft top. It comes off fairly easily, but getting it back up was tough, though not as bad as I have heard some say. Bottom line: the Wrangler jk is awesome!

Favorite Features

exterior styling, off road capabilities, Infinity stereo system, Sunrider top is great when you don't want to deal with the whole top.

Suggested Improvements

none so far.