2000 Wrangler Sahara
By Jeffrey Morris on
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD
I've owned 3 Jeeps - the others being a 1993 Cherokee and a 2002 Grand Cherokee. The Wrangler is the only one I own now, for almost 7 years. It is mechanically well built, with very little drivetrain repair being needed. I have replaced a starter (warranty) and paid for a new muffler, wiper motor, and various wear items (brakes, serpertine belt). I tend to leave the top down in the summer. One year the steering column filled with water during a rain storm resulting in almost $1K in repairs needed - in the warranty period, but not covered. I have since been more careful to put a trash bag over the column when the top is down. I bought a 2006 Chrysler 300 sedan and kept the Jeep as a fun vehicle.
Favorite Features
Fun to drive, especially with the top down. Can take me places no car could. Short wheelbase is great for parking, U-turns. Great to run around in on the weekend, but not as a high-speed commuter.
Suggested Improvements
Poor gas mileage - goes with all Jeeps, no surprise there. Interior electronics should be waterproofed better. Lots of vibration at interstate speeds, best to keep the speed below 50 MPH (i.e., not really suited for the highway). Not recommended as a commute vehicle. 3/36 warranty is too short.