Used 2009 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Love this car
By Robert Gravel

2009 Hyundai Sonata SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned my Sonata V6 Sport since new from March 2009 til now (Feb 2015) and there's 71,000 km on it.It's been flawless the whole time except 2 years ago I had to get the TPS replaced under warranty (a known issue that I knew about before buying this car).I've stuck to the maintenance schedule and again it's been perfect.I replaced the battery last year but having a battery last THAT long is pretty good especially when I do a lot of city/short distance driving.

The acceleration is amazing.

Well it's too bad you can't get a V6 in a Sonata anymore unless you spend MORE and buy a Genesis.I do like the new style of the 2015 Sonata.

Bad News for Dependability
By smac5

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

After researching the Sonata, I was convinced that it is was a reliable car. Oh how wrong I was. At 70000 miles the engine started to fall apart from the inside. Of course I bought the car knowing that I needed a car that would get me well past the payments, and since I still owe $11,000 + I am more than upset to add over $5000 in engine replacement costs.

I enjoy the interior and the radio is easy to use.

My last car was a 1997 Ford Escort and I reluctantly decided to sell it after 250000 + miles. I was hoping to find a car that could match the durability of my Escort (it never had a problem other than regular maintenance, oil changes etc.). For improvements I would hope that Hyundai would take some pride in their product and improve drive train durability and reliability.

BEWARE!!! Hyundai Manufacturer "Bumper to Bumper" Warranty Not Always Honored by Dealerships!!
By jbcanderson

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought an 09 Sonata V6 Limited in Dec of 08 and an Azera in Mar of 09. Both cars have needed repairs which I was assured by Hyundai Motors were covered by their bumper to bumper warranties, but which a local dealer, Doral Hyundai, refused to warranty, claiming owner fault rather than factory defect. They are [non-permissible content removed] extraordinaire! It is impossible to get them to fix anything under warranty; they always try to charge the vehicle owner. Hyundai has no way to make a dealer honor the factory warranty, claiming dealers are franchises and they can't make them do anything! Each dealer decides what they will or will not warranty. I had to "shop" for a dealer that would honor the warranty.

Bumper to Bumper warranty is currently a scam because the manufacturer cannot enforce it. Each dealership decides what they will or will not warranty, so bumper to bumper is NOT REALLY bumper to bumper, it is actually whatever the individual dealership feels like warrantying. I will never buy another Hyundai product as long as I live. Also, if you live in Miami BEWARE OF DORAL HYUNDAI, they rarely fix anything under warranty! Hyundai can improve their product by insisting franchise owners honor the manufacturer warranty.

3 years, 3 transmissions
By lbcsd

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2009 Sonata in August 2008 and am at 58,000 miles am on my 3rd transmission. My car has been in the shop 6 times since purchase, 3 times for over a week. I got a lemon! Hyundai corporate has been horrible to work with not helping the situation one bit! I had to search for a dealership that would provide a rental car without me having to pay. I have contact Hyundai with each repair and have received little to no responses. I am researching lemon law rights, but think I am out of luck unless I need one more transmission - which might happen! This is the first and last Hyundai I will purchase!

Body style and comfort of car

Just make sure the car runs properly. Customer service could be improved at the consumer affairs/corporate level. They act like it's my fault I got a lemon!

good car but some limitations
By carl12

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car used in 2010. I replaced a bmw 535. I was impressed how the car is built. It is pretty bullet proof. It is much quieter than a Honda and rides as nice as a Toyota model. My commute takes me 130 miles over two mountain passes in Washington. I carry between 2 and 4 adults. I average 28.5 mpg. Another carpooler gets 31 with his 6 cylinder Camry. So, that disappoints. The other issue is that the weight limit on this car is about 835 lbs. 4 adult men add up to that and if you add any luggage, you are around 1000 lbs. I mention this because during one drive on an icy I-90, flat road, I could barely hold the car to the road, semi trucks passed me.

quiet ride, fair mileage, reliable.

Improve the mileage, improve the weight carrying ability. Fix the headlight problem where you have to have the key in the ignition and turned on to turn on the headlights.