2009 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
BEWARE!!! Hyundai Manufacturer "Bumper to Bumper" Warranty Not Always Honored by Dealerships!!
By jbcanderson on 09/15/12 10:46 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought an 09 Sonata V6 Limited in Dec of 08 and an Azera in Mar of 09. Both cars have needed repairs which I was assured by Hyundai Motors were covered by their bumper to bumper warranties, but which a local dealer, Doral Hyundai, refused to warranty, claiming owner fault rather than factory defect. They are [non-permissible content removed] extraordinaire! It is impossible to get them to fix anything under warranty; they always try to charge the vehicle owner. Hyundai has no way to make a dealer honor the factory warranty, claiming dealers are franchises and they can't make them do anything! Each dealer decides what they will or will not warranty. I had to "shop" for a dealer that would honor the warranty.

3 years, 3 transmissions
By lbcsd on 11/03/11 11:10 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2009 Sonata in August 2008 and am at 58,000 miles am on my 3rd transmission. My car has been in the shop 6 times since purchase, 3 times for over a week. I got a lemon! Hyundai corporate has been horrible to work with not helping the situation one bit! I had to search for a dealership that would provide a rental car without me having to pay. I have contact Hyundai with each repair and have received little to no responses. I am researching lemon law rights, but think I am out of luck unless I need one more transmission - which might happen! This is the first and last Hyundai I will purchase!

good car but some limitations
By carl12 on 10/09/11 19:13 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car used in 2010. I replaced a bmw 535. I was impressed how the car is built. It is pretty bullet proof. It is much quieter than a Honda and rides as nice as a Toyota model. My commute takes me 130 miles over two mountain passes in Washington. I carry between 2 and 4 adults. I average 28.5 mpg. Another carpooler gets 31 with his 6 cylinder Camry. So, that disappoints. The other issue is that the weight limit on this car is about 835 lbs. 4 adult men add up to that and if you add any luggage, you are around 1000 lbs. I mention this because during one drive on an icy I-90, flat road, I could barely hold the car to the road, semi trucks passed me.

Wheel Covers
By cdunagan on 09/27/11 06:29 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The only issue I have with my 2009 Sonata is the rusting of the wheel covers. I take excellent care of my car and do not agree with the Lia Dealership that the rust is due to salt from the winters. I wash my car every week during the winter to prevent rust. Hyundai nor the dealership have a concern with this defect.

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)
By gwh2 on 04/26/11 16:20 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Great Car! I have get 40 Miles per gallon/6.9 liters per 100 liters on the highway and 35 Highway - City mixed. Just past my second anniversary and the 50,000 Km mark. I have done only regular maintenance. I appreciate the great dealer service too. I cannot say enough positive about the car as it is still just like new. I drove a Volvo before this and the Sonata is a superior car never mind the value for dollar you get!

Still love my Sonata
By paul145 on 04/20/11 15:47 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My Sonata Limited V6 has more than 30K and I love it - I have had literally zero problems with it. I commute 30 miles each way through rainy and sometimes icy Pacific Northwest mountain passes and it is a champ. Great acceleration when I need it, excellent mpg (30 mpg highway), handles very well and it can comfortably seat four large adults. My wife and I took it on a 1,000-mile trip down Highway 1 in Washington and Oregon and it was a fun drive.

3 year review
By gd3 on 03/25/11 12:51 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Bought the Sonata almost 3 years ago and now have 55k mostly highway miles. Travel about 80 miles/day for work. The cloth seats are some of the most comfortable non leather, non premium seats I've used. Nice thoughtful interior. It has so many upgrades that have trickled down to a base car over the years. The ac and heat are fine although climate control would be nice. The XM is a feature that I use regularly and enjoy. I have done nothing to it except regular maintenance and a new set of tires. I average about 30 mpg going 70-75 on the highway.

Another solid performer in it's class
By SevenBizzos on 01/22/11 16:00 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

After owning an Elantra for 125k miles with no issues (until it met a guardrail), we moved up in class and picked up the Sonata Limited V6. So far, it's been an excellent choice. Our MPG has ranged from 33 on a highway trip with 100% fuel, to 23 that was mostly suburban traffic with E10 winter blend. I think that's a fair number considering the engine displacement and size of the vehicle.

bad gas mileage and bad shitf at 38 to 42 mph
By eprice5829 on 12/25/10 17:27 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my sonata new in 5 of 09 and from the very begining had very poor gas mileage and a shifting issue with the trans at about 38 to 40 mph and around 15 to 18 on the rpm gauge when I brought it back to the dealer for service I was told it was how the car was supposed to drive and that there was nothing they could do to fix the problem except to flash the computer and then reset it . I was also told that it was the way that I was driving the car. now that I had the computer reset and the trans flashed I now get 15.9 miles per gallon to a full take of gas and was told that it was because of the winter gas that is now out on the market well to that I say B S

Great car for the money
By Marc on 11/25/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I commute 80 round-trip to work and average 32 mpg in hilly terrain. No problems so far. This car is very comfortable, roomy, and quiet. I looked at comparable Toyota, Kia, Nissan and Chevrolet products and none compared to Hyundai.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Hyundai Sonata in VA is:

$115 per month*