Used 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Favorite vehicle to date
By bristol6

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

2005 Santa Fe LX AWD. The first car i ever owned was a Hyundai. Since then i owned a BMW, a Dodge, a Mazda, and a Chevy, and I have returned again to Hyundai. My Santa Fe is reliable, capable, comfortable, and relatively easy to maintain. They are fairly common vehicles so parts aren't hard to find. Plenty of space inside, and enough room in the cargo space to stow whatever you want. Folding the back seats down is easy and quick. I put some Toyo All-Terrain tires on mine, and i am comfortable driving it across fields, through mud, snow, ice, and sand. If you're looking for a reliable fun midsize SUV that you can take anywhere, this is your ticket.

Favorite Features

Easy and fun to drive, and bang-for-your-buck factor.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe another 20 horsepower would do it justice, seems a little sluggish up hills. A low-range gearbox and overdrive would be great options, and considering it is the highest level trip option, I would love to have a moonroof.

Great running SMALL suv
By drivenamerican

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Our Santa Fe was bought used and now has 102,000 miles on it. The 2.7 liter is underpowered but gets great gas mileage. There are a few design flaws such as the third brake light hanging in the rear window, and the back 3 spark plugs are under the intake manifold, changing them is expensive and a pain. the last thing is the drivers seat does not go back far enough for taller drivers.

Suggested Improvements

Drivers seat having more leg room and placing the third brake light into the sheet metal so its out of the way.

The Sante Fe
By bostnbruins

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The 2.7 liter V-6 is underpowered, and not good for towing at all. This suv revs high when you want to accelerate quickly, like out of a toll both for example. The interior is compact and not roomy for taller people at all. And I am 5'7". The seats do not go back far enough for the driver and passenger....that's the Biggest complaint. The seats are very uncomfortable as well. Limited rear storage area. I had a 05 Chevy Silverado before the Sante Fe, I switched thinking our kids would have more room...big mistake. I live in snow country, and this is by far the worst vehicle I have ever driven in the snow. Who ever says 4x4 and all-wheel drive are the same are sadly mistaken. By American.

Favorite Features

Dependability. Reliability. Compact design. Easy to maintain. I like the side window defrosters alot. Handles well in the rain, and horribly in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room, and better full economy. Its roughly a 17 gallon tank and if pushed to the max will only get you 300 miles on a tank full. The two-tone paint is ugly. The Big Reflectors on the rear bumper =s Ugly. Handles terribly in the snow

A Great SUV
By billssuv

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2005 Santa Fe with 23 miles on it. I have driven it down to Texas and Mississippi and had great gas mileage. I now have 86K miles on it and have only put new tires on it at 79K as well as new brakes for the first time. I also have done my normal maintenance on it including new timing belt. I have had ZERO issues with my SUV and plan on driving it hopefully another 100K before deciding on a new one. It is the most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned and driven.

Favorite Features

Comfort; Space; well built

Suggested Improvements

N/A

Nice ride
By Dave

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the 2005 Santa Fe used just a week ago. The gas mileage is a bit lower than what I expected for a small V6. The 2.7 is just a little bit underpowered for a vehicle of this size. It is very comfortable for an SUV and handles very well. A solid vehicle with a lot of nice standard features. Roomy interior and sporty design. Controls easily reached and easy access getting in and out of the vehicle. Roomy cargo space.

Favorite Features

Heated and power mirrors. Sporty design. Comfortable and quiet ride.

Suggested Improvements

A bit more power from the smaller V6 or make the 3.5 standard in the Santa Fe. Maybe offer a 4.0 to 4.5 liter engine option. Better gas mileage.