2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
2 more inches of rear seat room
By loyal hyundia buyer on 05/04/09 07:56 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

this car would basically be perfect just shrink the trunk like two inches and add like two more inches too the rear seat and you have the perfect car

The Hyundai that can
By AbeFrohman1986 on 05/03/09 17:52 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

After owning a lemon-like 2001 Kia Rio with my wife for 7 years, it was time for a new car. Living in the city, we needed an affordable, not too big car, that offered lots comfortable options. The Hyundai Elantra met those criteria. Our salesman showed us a GLS model with the option package, XM Radio, Cruise, Anti-Lock Brakes and a Sun Roof. Sans Alloy wheels and nifty bluetooth feature of the SE, it was still a remarkably refined and comfortable compact with a smooth and definite road presence on 15 inch steel wheels. 138 HP 2.0 pumps solid life into the car and sitting in the soft cloth seats moving down a rough road, you feel safe and comfortable. Hyundai is making a great car.

Great Safety
By Rick Patel on 04/13/09 07:49 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Driving is always fun with this car when you can enjoy the best music on XM and your MP3 disc player. I had a recent crash with my new car and you won't believe but as per the advertisements, the car truly provided 5 star rating and we had not a single scratch on our body...I thank Hyundai for providing such great security features...I will buy a new 2009 model in a month time...

Cheap Wheelwells / Mudguards
By Darrel on 03/10/09 11:45 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

After only 3 weeks and 300 km of winter grid road travel, all 4 wheelwells and all 4 mudguards are damaged. 1 mudguard has a 4" diameter hole clear through it. I am fortunate enough that my dealer is replacing all 4+4 free of charge in addition to coating them with a rubber compound calling it a "Goodwill" repair. For your information, the temperature has been ~-30°C. My maximum grid road speed was always less than 100 km/hr. The odd thing is, there is basically NO gravel left on the road since it's not graded in the winter... currently the maximum particle size is only ~5mm.

Great Car
By tom on 02/15/09 07:46 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We picked up the car and in Tempe, AZ and drove to Coursegold, Calif. It was a great trip. The car was comfortable to drive and we averaged 37 MPH. The trip was only 1700 miles but so far we loved the car. Lots of room inside, looks great inside and out. Loved the XM Radio, 50s & 60s music all the way. Will write more as we get mores miles. We believe we will continue to love the car.

So far so good
By HusbandOfToyotaLover on 02/10/09 12:19 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my Hyundai Elantra 2009. I had to convince my wife, who is a loyal Toyota driver, that at 15K - 16K Hyundai Elantra is the best deal over against any Corolla we can buy. So far I haven't regret it and my wife likes it. The engine is adequate, I mean who buys an Elantra to floor-it anyway? It is surprisingly comfortable and handling is surprisingly adequate (mind you I am used to driving Honda Civic myself.) Rear seat is small but trunk space is adequate. I have to say, at the price for VSC, ESP, ABS, XM (3 months), BlueTooth, MP3, and IPod player this car is the best bang for the buck. Of course you will take a hit at resale so keep that in mind. We like to drive them to death

Excellent alternative to Civic/Corolla
By DavidC on 01/31/09 20:35 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I am a loyal Honda Civic owner, and my wife is a loyal Toyota Camry/Corolla owner. So we are still in shock when we are shopping for a replacement car this past month we decided on the 2009 Hyundai Elantra SE. What made us make this decision? For me it's not really hard to make after a comparison of features and pricing. It's really disappointing how much Civic/Corolla has really jack up their prices, now you're paying more for the "brand name" then actual product. The Elantra, by comparison, no longer just offers a cheap car at a cheap price, but it's a great car (by comparison) at an incredible price. Anybody looking to buy Civic/Corolla should definitely give Elantra a hard look.

Wheel Wells Broken
By snowback on 01/21/09 17:17 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have 4,000 Kms on my new Hyundai and the wheel wells have cracked and are broken in the front driver's side and in the rear - both sides! Hyundai Canada will not consider this a warranty issue and will not honor repairing the car. The car was driven on gravel roads at temps or - 35 degrees. If the car should not be driven on gravel roads, that means the car cannot drive on 77% of the roads in Alberta!!!!! If this is what I have in two months driving how is the car going to look in two years? JD Powers are completely wrong with this vehicle. Will never buy another Hyundai.

Great purchase, superior in many ways
By Mike on 11/13/08 07:57 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Elantra just a couple of weeks ago and I am so happy with it. I did have an extended search and compared it with other cars like Honda Civic, Fit and Toyota Corolla, and my Elantra has everything I need, nothing to envy the competitors. Great look, smooth ride, the hp 138 gives great torque enhancing performance, very spacious inside, not feeling like driving in a "can" as I was feeling in others. Interior design is superior definitely, plenty of storage in easy to reach places. Blue tooth, ipod, satellite radio, what else do you need? Prior reviews on the '08 about safety speak for themselves, and this one has 5 star crash rating... Oh, of course, great gas mileage 33-35 mpg...

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan in VA is:

$122 per month*