2009 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
2009 Carpet don't fit cut to short
By Carpet dont fit on 05/22/10 14:04 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Carpet does not fit replaced 2 wks after new still don't fit & took back had them reorder another & still don't fit. Waiting for someone higher up to see what more can be done. Pretty bad their own parts don't fit their cars. Checked neighbor's 2009 as well & same problem. The carpet is supposed to be tucked up under the console & stay under it. Engine replaced at 7,000 miles. Never got good gas mileage & still don't. Tires are horrible & car has poor traction - horrible in snow & rain. Have another Hyundai as well & love that one & fuel is better than advert. This one though leaves much to be desired & now I don't trust it. Had some rattle issues as well.

First new car
By Megan on 05/11/10 18:04 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This was my first new car, actually my second car all together. I like the car and I think that for the price, and being that I do a lot of short trips, that it has yet to let me down. I do very well in gas mileage. Most of my trips are under 8 miles, to school and work. Took it on a long trip to visit colleges and the gas mileage was MORE than expected. I love it, and look forward to buying from Hyundai in the future.

21,000 miles later
By rajo394 on 04/03/10 23:53 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

2009 Elantra SE, only defect was the radio and one speaker not working after 21,000 miles. Surprised to read about suspension problems. The ride seems very good considering the type of car. The seat covering could be better, attracts dirt. The steering is quick, have to keep your mind on the road. Handles Arizona bumps and potholes fairly well. It is my everyday work car and have been pleased. Second Elantra, I will hold it for 5 years and trade it in. Lots of plastic, holds the weight cost down. I get 28 mpg in city over 30 on highway depending on how fast I go. I believe it is the best value on the market.

Great Car
By Hyundaiguy on 03/19/10 10:14 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is my second Hyundai. In general I like this car. I have just begun after 11,000 miles to get good gas mileage. took a trip and got 37mpg. Interior is nice to the eyes, but mine has several small creaks and squeaks around front/back windshield, stereo surround. Outside pass side door handle gets stuck and door wont close. Other than that I like it.

love my elentra
By marmar on 03/04/10 21:00 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Elantra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my new elentra - i have about 1500 miles 0r 2 months - received an excellent deal - the end of the year savings - originally drove several minivans over the years - but now kids are grown - no more soccer mom - my husband is purchasing a 2010 sonata

Best car I have ever had!
By Messy on 03/04/10 08:13 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've never had a new car before, granted, but I think I am a Hyundai owner for life! This car, though the basic model, is so great--gas mileage is very good. I just got 521.5 miles on a tank and when I filled it up I put in less than 14 gallons! I'm eager to see if I can repeat that. I have put 15,500 miles on it in the 9 months I've owned it, and so far it's running like a dream!

commuter car
By 2bigfoot on 02/26/10 10:54 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Elantra SE PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car as a commuter vehicle. It gets 34 mpg doing my commute of 60 miles each way. I am 6'2" and for the most part it is a comfortable ride. If stuck in traffic for a while my right leg starts to cramp because there is not enough thigh support. I use a driving pillow which helps some. The front wheel well inserts seem a little flimsy because you can really hear all the road pebbles thrown up from the tires. The first couple hundred miles my radio died. It was replaced and now is O.K. Pretty quite highway ride and pretty good in the snow.

Brake Pedal Bracket Problem
By Peg on 02/10/10 08:10 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Elantra GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my new Elantra on Sept. 1, 2009. The biggest selling factor was 100,000 mile warranty and safety features. Until yesterday, no complaints except that gas mileage has proved to be only about 25 mpg; not near the 33 mpg estimate. Then on Feb. 8, 2010, experienced problem accelerating. It suddenly acted as if it were stuck in 3rd gear. Brake made odd sounds and began to emit powerful burning smell. We thought we might have a transmission problem. When they called to tell us they had checked it out and it was ready for pick up, they said that a brake pedal bracket had come loose. They made it sound, however, as if I had done something wrong. That upset me.

My First New Car
By Gabe on 01/14/10 17:29 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car it is very good on gas and its little enough to park almost anywhere! I've had this car for about 4 months now and I love it, and its quiet on the highways. it needs a little work in the upgrading department as far as bluetooth, and interior and exterior accessories.

You've Got to drive it
By KentKEN1147 on 01/04/10 10:42 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Elantra SE PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I tried many cars at Auto Show before deciding on Elantra SE, more interior room than many bigger cars. Handling fantastic when pushed on mountain roads but SE suspension is sometimes unforgiving on poor roads. If the road is bad you'll definitely know it. The car is great on freeways but you have to drive it, on the on ramps don't leave it in "D" use the shift-tronic you'll enjoy the power and control it gives you. I'm a high mileage driver and enjoy the 30-31 mpg average I'm getting. Long rides avg 34+ mpg.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Hyundai Elantra in VA is:

$123 per month*