2002 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:
At least they are cheap.
By irclark on 01/10/14 12:25 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Pros: Cheap. Lots of interior space and head room. Good on gas. Actually did well in a freeway accident with a dump-truck. Cons: Very small and poor breaks (never balanced properly between front a rear causing rear breaks to lock up way before the fronts) Really scary in slippery conditions. poor handling (both body roll, and the suspension wore out quickly). Transmission (manual) would clunk or grind into gears between 1st and 2nd gear. Water leak into trunk which was found under warranty but they failed to fix it twice. Then the warranty expired and they said that I would have to pay for it. They did end up fixing it for free, but not without a fight.

Not a very good car for the money.
By pnpain on 06/09/13 09:19 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Good little car for most people though mine was poorly made. Had to have brakes put on constantly and I am NOT hard on brakes. One year I had 4 sets put on because the calipers kept breaking and the break would stick to the wheel and burn it up, then the rotor would be unusable. Safety Hazard!! No air conditioning, no power anything. If I could go back in time I would have purchased the Kia.

As Good as an Aerostar
By mikehs2 on 10/25/11 08:29 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Best car I've ever owned. 133,000 miles, 40 mpg, yes 40! on the highway. I checked it 3 times! No oil burn. Only service issue was the rear brake cylinders which Hyundai happily replaced. Have to service the car every 7,500 miles and due the proper maintenance. Make sure you change the timing belt at 90,000, and if you have an auto transmission, it has to be serviced every 30,000. Don't be shy to buy one used, if it's the 5 speed manual. I'm sure ours will go at least 250,000.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Jim in Wisconsin on 06/01/09 19:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Have had my Accent L for over 6 years now & am about to turn over 39K for mileage. Aside of general maintenance @ specified intervals, I have stuck no additional money into this car. The only problems I've ever had mechanically were a leaky valve cover gasket, & going down hills on colder mornings will occasionally set a P0200 code for a misfire, which quickly corrects itself. Interior wise, I've gone through 3 shifter boots, & the fresh air / recirculating air level cable has binded on me twice. It's started in -27 degrees without a hitch & has idled in near 100 degree heat with the gauge never leaving the centerpoint. I have hit 48-50 MPG on long highway trips.

True Hyundai Review
By J on 12/05/08 11:14 AM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new and drove 90000 miles. Most of the issues occurred in ownership year 3 or 4. Exterior: perfect with the exception of peeling hubcaps and rusty wiper arms, interior the lights in the heater area would go on and off. 2 Warranty issues. Codes Check engine required sensors and through-out bearing replaced the whole transmission under warranty. Great car low cost to maintain, insure, fuel.

My little go-cart
By Chris on 08/17/08 19:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This was like a go-cart because of it's size and power. A 1.4L is a weak engine, but I assure you it has pickup and I would whip this car around. I drove it hard, but not crazy. No major problems with anything though I have broke both door handles by pulling on them the wrong way. Regular oil changes and sensible (not conservative) driving have me at 92000 miles. I can tell the car is on it's way out though. There is a hole somewhere in the exhaust and I just have this feeling that a bunch of things are about to be worn out. Great buy, great car for 8k. Would definitely buy a Hyundai again, it's just simply worth the money (no headaches at 92000)

Wish I'd shopped around more
By Valkyrie1015 on 07/27/08 13:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

What a disappointment! I bought this car brand new with only a few miles on it from the test drive. In August 2008, I'd have owned the car for 6 years and have only put about 48,000 miles on it. As of last week, it sits dead in front of my house. One year after purchase, the Power Relay went (covered by warranty); in 2006 the engine was really loud, turned out to have a hole in the exhaust and needed to replace some sensors over the next several months- more than once! Had to replace the e-brake and have work done on other brakes in 8/06 as well. By 7/08, need e-brake again, check engine light on, timing belt broke while driving and wrecked the engine. Cheaper to buy another than fix this!

Nice entry-level car
By Koni on 11/16/05 16:01 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used in 2005. I've had it for about six weeks, and so far I'm very impressed. It's not impressive, gorgeous, or fast, but it is solidly constructed. If you're looking for an affordable car that gets great gas mileage (I'm getting 30MPG in the city), go with the Accent. It has a couple of design flaws (cup-holder placement and size, for example), but dealing with a little thing like that is no problem.

Great transportation
By Gren on 12/03/04 15:30 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Accent instead of renting a car when my primary car was being repaired. 2 years later I still have the Hyundai, have let several people in my family borrow the car and I have had nor heard no complaints. It has never required any repairs what-so-ever. It gets good gas mileage and is comfortable to drive even on long trips. The interior noise level is a bit high at freeway speeds and it is lacking horsepower, but I didn't buy it with any great expectations of luxury or performance. I am very pleased with the car overall. I highly recommend it for it's class of vehicle - Good, Solid, Economical transportation.

2002 Accent
By Bron on 07/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Accent! It is fun to drive, great on gas and nice to look at. It's peppy and I highly recommend purchasing one.