Used 2002 Hyundai Accent Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

2002 Hyundai Accent

View reviews for a specific Accent model:

At least they are cheap.
By irclark

2002 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Pros: Cheap. Lots of interior space and head room. Good on gas. Actually did well in a freeway accident with a dump-truck. Cons: Very small and poor breaks (never balanced properly between front a rear causing rear breaks to lock up way before the fronts) Really scary in slippery conditions. poor handling (both body roll, and the suspension wore out quickly). Transmission (manual) would clunk or grind into gears between 1st and 2nd gear. Water leak into trunk which was found under warranty but they failed to fix it twice. Then the warranty expired and they said that I would have to pay for it. They did end up fixing it for free, but not without a fight.

Favorite Features

Interior had lots of space for a small car.

Suggested Improvements

Larger and better breaks, better suspension, better transmission.

Not a very good car for the money.
By pnpain

2002 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Good little car for most people though mine was poorly made. Had to have brakes put on constantly and I am NOT hard on brakes. One year I had 4 sets put on because the calipers kept breaking and the break would stick to the wheel and burn it up, then the rotor would be unusable. Safety Hazard!! No air conditioning, no power anything. If I could go back in time I would have purchased the Kia.

Favorite Features

5 speed manual, though now I prefer automatic for ease of use and due to my peripheral neuropathy pain (can't handle the pain from constant use of legs (like with the clutch).

Suggested Improvements

Include AC as standard/base model. Find and fix the issues with the poor quality control with whatever caused the brakes to malfunction repeatedly. Provide electric windows as standard.

Excellent Value!
By aair13

2002 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

As a Honda guy i wasnt very fond of getting a Hyundai. Bought in 2011 with 163000 and boy am i glad i did. Gets me 39mpg all highway. I drive it about 50 miles daily. I have the 4 door with the 1.6L auto. Mine does have a small noise in muffler but mechanic told me this was common on that year. Plus i dont mind cause it sounds cool, lol! Great car! Parts are easy to find and cheap. I recommend it!

Favorite Features

Great fuel economy. Easy to work on

Suggested Improvements

Door handles

As Good as an Aerostar
By mikehs2

2002 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Best car I've ever owned. 133,000 miles, 40 mpg, yes 40! on the highway. I checked it 3 times! No oil burn. Only service issue was the rear brake cylinders which Hyundai happily replaced. Have to service the car every 7,500 miles and due the proper maintenance. Make sure you change the timing belt at 90,000, and if you have an auto transmission, it has to be serviced every 30,000. Don't be shy to buy one used, if it's the 5 speed manual. I'm sure ours will go at least 250,000.

Favorite Features

Just a well built, economical car interior is still perfect with no seat covers!

Suggested Improvements

Beef up the Auto transmissions.

Aging through the ages...
By squirts

2002 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

All, I bought my '02 Accent new. Since then, I've racked up 115,000 on the odo with 80% highway driving of 75 miles/day Monday-Friday. To date, I really can't complain. Beyond normal wear items, I've replaced both back wheel cylinders ($15 ea) and the (dreaded) flex pipe and pipe extension ($45) due to rust-through. The car still gets great gas mileage and doesn't burn oil. I'll need to work on the front end (I think some bushings are worn as there is a "clunk" over pot holes), but, knock wood, it's holding up well.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage; Cold air and hot heat; Ease of maintenance. I do all of my own maintenance, including engine repair, so parts availability and being able to do the job myself is a must. I bought a "simple" car (no power windows, auto trans, etc.) for a reason and to date it has met my expectations.

Suggested Improvements

You get what you pay for. Considering I paid less than 10K for a new car with air & stereo and have gotten 115K miles out of it I am happy.