Used 2002 Hyundai Accent Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:

13 years & counting!!
By Jim Hoth

2002 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Accent L new in early 2003. It was a carryover 2002 model, so an additional $500 was taken off of the already low $9,495 window sticker. I was not after a car with a lot of bells & whistles... in fact, I liked that it was a bare bones base model as I felt there would be far less to wear out when it got older. 13 years later I have 77,000 miles on it & can truthfully say it's been the most reliable car I've ever had. it's started in -21F with wind chills of near -50F, it's idled in 102 degree heat with the temp gauge never leaving the midway point. It handles decent on wet roads, fair in the snow, & excellent on dry pavement. I have done very little to it except routine maintenance, which I have done everything at their recommended intervals. The engine is smooth, I can shift the 5 speed manual transmission with one finger, & the original paint looks like new yet. The only items I have had wear poorly are the shifter boot, the door panels faded very easily, & I am now needing to have the foam rubber inside the drivers seat replaced. The exhaust flex pipe developed a hole in 2010, but it was covered by the 10 year / 100,000 mile warranty. The gas mileage is far above what the window sticker rates it at. I consistently get 40-43 MPG in the Summer & have even topped 50 MPG once on a trip with all highway miles @ 55 MPH. I use Bosch triple platinum plugs, full synthetic oil, & run mid-grade unleaded. I plan to have this car for many years yet.

Great first car
By Batoutofhe11

2002 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

this is the cheapest little car you can get, it has very little put into it interior or electronics wise, but it makes up for all that by having an average of 40 miles to the gallon. which even modern cars have trouble doing. this car is surprisingly good in snow, getting me around in as much as 6 inches of snow as long as i braked real early and kept it in third gear or below. the interior sucks, but i really couldn't care about it since it was my first car. the only big problem is that the car is made for an average sized male, meaning if you are shorter than say 5"5' like me then you're seat belt will always get stuck on the seat back support adjuster. there is no electronic or power anything, my girlfriend hated that dis-feature about this car but seeing all those cars get hacked i liked the dis-feature. this car model has a glitch in the programming that will show the check engine light sometimes, and the problem will read engine cylinder 1 or 2 random failure. leave that be, it's nothing. if you want to do anything switch out the spark plugs and wires, don't go crazy on repairs. the battery hook wires rot off at around 80,000 miles

At least they are cheap.
By irclark

2002 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Pros: Cheap. Lots of interior space and head room. Good on gas. Actually did well in a freeway accident with a dump-truck. Cons: Very small and poor breaks (never balanced properly between front a rear causing rear breaks to lock up way before the fronts) Really scary in slippery conditions. poor handling (both body roll, and the suspension wore out quickly). Transmission (manual) would clunk or grind into gears between 1st and 2nd gear. Water leak into trunk which was found under warranty but they failed to fix it twice. Then the warranty expired and they said that I would have to pay for it. They did end up fixing it for free, but not without a fight.

Interior had lots of space for a small car.

Larger and better breaks, better suspension, better transmission.

Not a very good car for the money.
By pnpain

2002 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Good little car for most people though mine was poorly made. Had to have brakes put on constantly and I am NOT hard on brakes. One year I had 4 sets put on because the calipers kept breaking and the break would stick to the wheel and burn it up, then the rotor would be unusable. Safety Hazard!! No air conditioning, no power anything. If I could go back in time I would have purchased the Kia.

5 speed manual, though now I prefer automatic for ease of use and due to my peripheral neuropathy pain (can't handle the pain from constant use of legs (like with the clutch).

Include AC as standard/base model. Find and fix the issues with the poor quality control with whatever caused the brakes to malfunction repeatedly. Provide electric windows as standard.

Excellent Value!
By aair13

2002 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

As a Honda guy i wasnt very fond of getting a Hyundai. Bought in 2011 with 163000 and boy am i glad i did. Gets me 39mpg all highway. I drive it about 50 miles daily. I have the 4 door with the 1.6L auto. Mine does have a small noise in muffler but mechanic told me this was common on that year. Plus i dont mind cause it sounds cool, lol! Great car! Parts are easy to find and cheap. I recommend it!

Great fuel economy. Easy to work on

Door handles