2002 Hyundai Accent - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:
At least they are cheap.
By irclark on 01/10/14 12:25 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Pros: Cheap. Lots of interior space and head room. Good on gas. Actually did well in a freeway accident with a dump-truck. Cons: Very small and poor breaks (never balanced properly between front a rear causing rear breaks to lock up way before the fronts) Really scary in slippery conditions. poor handling (both body roll, and the suspension wore out quickly). Transmission (manual) would clunk or grind into gears between 1st and 2nd gear. Water leak into trunk which was found under warranty but they failed to fix it twice. Then the warranty expired and they said that I would have to pay for it. They did end up fixing it for free, but not without a fight.

Not a very good car for the money.
By pnpain on 06/09/13 09:19 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Good little car for most people though mine was poorly made. Had to have brakes put on constantly and I am NOT hard on brakes. One year I had 4 sets put on because the calipers kept breaking and the break would stick to the wheel and burn it up, then the rotor would be unusable. Safety Hazard!! No air conditioning, no power anything. If I could go back in time I would have purchased the Kia.

Excellent Value!
By aair13 on 01/31/13 20:38 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

As a Honda guy i wasnt very fond of getting a Hyundai. Bought in 2011 with 163000 and boy am i glad i did. Gets me 39mpg all highway. I drive it about 50 miles daily. I have the 4 door with the 1.6L auto. Mine does have a small noise in muffler but mechanic told me this was common on that year. Plus i dont mind cause it sounds cool, lol! Great car! Parts are easy to find and cheap. I recommend it!

As Good as an Aerostar
By mikehs2 on 10/25/11 08:29 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Accent L 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Best car I've ever owned. 133,000 miles, 40 mpg, yes 40! on the highway. I checked it 3 times! No oil burn. Only service issue was the rear brake cylinders which Hyundai happily replaced. Have to service the car every 7,500 miles and due the proper maintenance. Make sure you change the timing belt at 90,000, and if you have an auto transmission, it has to be serviced every 30,000. Don't be shy to buy one used, if it's the 5 speed manual. I'm sure ours will go at least 250,000.

Aging through the ages...
By squirts on 04/05/11 21:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

All, I bought my '02 Accent new. Since then, I've racked up 115,000 on the odo with 80% highway driving of 75 miles/day Monday-Friday. To date, I really can't complain. Beyond normal wear items, I've replaced both back wheel cylinders ($15 ea) and the (dreaded) flex pipe and pipe extension ($45) due to rust-through. The car still gets great gas mileage and doesn't burn oil. I'll need to work on the front end (I think some bushings are worn as there is a "clunk" over pot holes), but, knock wood, it's holding up well.

THIS LITTLE CAR IS AMAZING
By sanzabartrust on 02/28/11 08:17 AM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Accent GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Let me say it seems like i've been a car a year Im 22 and this is my 5th car (the others were $1000 buckets. I'm in college so reliability was key in my decision. Saw this car at a wholesale dealer for $1800 and jumped at it after I test drove it with only 115,000 miles. I've just got scheduled maintenance on the car and it has been very good to me. The only major (haha) repair has been a corroded flex pipe which make my little car sound like a monster truck (luckily it's a $30 part and got it installed/welded for $60) The inside is clean and standard which I was going for. Upgraded all the speakers they burst when I put a new radio in. All and all good car for me as a college student.

Great Hyundai!
By hyundai2002 on 02/19/11 17:49 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I honestly don't understand all these reviews. I guess their previous owners didn't take care of their little Hyundai because my car runs great and is in great shape. The transmission and engine runs great. I don't understand the comments on the handling. The brakes could be better, but they have no problem. People need to realize that Hyundai was still not a very large company when the 2000-2004 Accents came out. And the Accent was Hyundai's least expensive car. The interior scratches easily and the paint gets dings and scratches easily as well. But this was meant to be a realible INEXPENSIVE car for people that want a decent car and have money to put gas in it too. =]

Buyer beware
By No Hyundai on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Had car for under a year, replaced O2 sensor, brakes, battery and tires. Next year battery (only 1 kind available) O2 sensor. Next year, belts, water pump Brakes O2 Sensor. Every year I had to replace at least 1 of the O2 sensors, speed sensor and trans sensor of some sort (since year 3) None was covered as it is normal wear and tear (!@#$). Gas pedal stuck after 5 years and now my trans is failing. Will never buy again, bad warranty, bad price and cheap, cheap car (not in price just in quality)

*Given* this Car Free but NOT Worth It!
By gliese876d on 09/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I helped my mother pick out this car new in 2002 & she owned it for 5 yrs before generously giving it to me after my divorce left me a single mom without a vehicle. At the time she bought it I thought the warranty was great & the price was right and it seemed to have some get-up-and-go. But since I've owned it, I now see more clearly that it is a piece of junk. At 96K mi, it's now going through oil, the engine light is perpetually on and it won't pass emissions. Even without these obvious problems, in hilly western PA, I can't tell you how many times I've been terrified by the handling of this vehicle due to it's horrible steering and braking! I can't wait til I can afford a new car!

Cheap
By Lorean on 05/28/10 07:32 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Accent GL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I can honestly say that I have not ever had any engine or transmission problems it runs great! BUT everything is CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP that is on it! All 4 of my door handles are broken, it dents very easy, the radio only works when it wants too, just made very cheap. It would be great for a person just starting to drive but I am 25 with a baby and it is NOT a good family car at all!