Used 2003 Honda Civic Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Civic Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Love my EP3
By tomjaaahallo

2003 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Si in may 2012 with 140k and now it has 154k. This was the first car I've bought with my own money, and I am extremely satisfied. The 2.0L 4 has just enough hp to have fun but still is capable over over 30 mpg highway. The shifter is very easy to use and the handling is very responsive. Most of all, this car is extremely reliable. I have only needed brakes put on the car after purchasing, other than that no problems have surfaced. The best way to sum up this car is deceptively quick, deceptively room y (especially the rear seat), and deceptively reliable. I will definitely look at another Si when the time to get a new car comes, but for now I am extremely happy with my '03!

Favorite Features

Exterior styling is unique, not many are seen around. Engine is very smooth and responsive above 3,000 rpm. Shifter on the dash makes for quick gear changes. Handling is not razor sharp but still very agile. Gas mileage is superb for a sport compact.

Suggested Improvements

A 6th gear in the transmission would've been a nice touch, since 65mph on the highway has the engine at 3,500 rpm. Also, a higher redline (like on a EP3 Type-R) with a different VTEC set-up would make the car more aggressive. This particular Civic engages iVTEC at only 2,200 RPM so there is no typical VTEC "shove" at 5 or 6k, but the engine's torque makes up for it.

Almost didn't Buy...Thank goodness I did
By mechwiz1

2003 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I will be short with this review. Les is more sometimes. I bought this car with 104000 miles on it. Dealer made me pay 9000 for it. To me it was worth every penny. The car after four months of commuting 120 miles round trip is fantastic. It now has 120,000 miles on it and i am convinced it runs nearly as good as new.

Favorite Features

Quick handling, Great airconditioning, poweful line four engine, reliabilty, Maintainabilty. too many other things to mention here. Lack of vibration. Roomy interior for such a small car.

Suggested Improvements

Would love to have an overdrive for those long road trips. The engine would handle it just fine.

Long live the si
By si lover

2003 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been great! I've driven it for a few years now and I'm ready to buy a new one. The handling is great on cornering with the right tires. Acceleration isn't amazing, but hey it's a 4 banger. The only complaint is the cost to repair. Nobody has parts and most people don't even know what kind of car it is. If you're a young kid and you want something with low maintenance and fun to drive this is it. Or if you live in a city it's so easy to park. Great little car! Owning this car has made my wife and I Honda enthusiasts.

Favorite Features

The seats, the hatchback, Steering wheel, sunroof, tone of the exhaust, handling, cup holders.

Suggested Improvements

Acceleration, six-speed please, More aggressive body style, a little better handling, release the v-tech a bit sooner in RPMs.

Canada SIR
By tommy b

2003 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm from Canada and bought Canada version of si hatch. Bought the car in August of 07, it's an 03. Nice car with lots of room had 3 people and snowboards inside. Would definitely recommend. Horn cut out about a month ago along with Cruise control. Brakes are great and so is handling. Stock rims could be bigger/nicer, I got aftermarket rubber and rims. Ground fx package is nice. Drives good in all weather, sunroof is good. Recommend winter tires. This is a great car with sporty handling, keep revs high and car is plenty fast. Great on gas and sound system is great for stock. Don't think I will ever buy anything other then a Honda. Car takes real

Favorite Features

shifter, interior space, sunroof, seats and steering wheel are by far the best part of this car

Suggested Improvements

A 200 hp engine would be nice (same as RSX type s not base RSX), bigger stock rims, lumbar adjustment for seat, armrest and second power adapter

Can't beat a Honda
By chuck

2003 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Never had a problem with the car. Gas mileage is great still get 29 on the highway. Never had it in for any work. I drive it a 100 miles a day and its just as fun to drive now as it was when I first bought it. I'll buy Hondas from now on.

Favorite Features

I have to say I love where they put the gear shifter, and the way the seats just hold you in place is a nice upgrade

Suggested Improvements

It would be nice if it would have come with a six speed and even a supercharger would be sweet