1998 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Love My Honda XD
By jamie_taylor on 03/23/11 19:24 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

I love my little red Honda! It currently has 199,602 miles on it, I have had it for about 3 years now and I have never had a car that has has this much fuel economy and power and still runs like new at 200k miles! I have done some minor modifications on this car, and now have about 55+mpg highway and about 45+city. All I did was put in performance spark plugs, wires and distributor, run full synthetic oil, and cold air intake with a k&n Filter (It cost me all of about 100 bucks)! I was always sceptical of 'Ricers' (this car was a gift from my fiance) and I WILL NEVER GO BACK!!! I love my Honda :) It has been nothing but an exceptional vehicle, I am planning on making it last to 400k miles..

Very Reliable Economical Transportation
By exhaust_fan on 12/17/10 19:12 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for about six years and have only done one repair. Replaced the windshield wiper motor. Everything else has been maintenance. I get excellent gas mileage. 34-44. Great commuter car

Most Reliable Car Ever Made!!!
By INVNTDTHWHL on 07/31/09 15:29 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

I bought my 1998 Honda Civic HX brand new and have been driving it ever since. I have taken moderate care of it over the years and it doesn't matter. It just keeps going strong. Honda must have made these cars for people like me who wait a few extra thousand miles to change their oil and rarely look under the hood. I call my Honda "The Mule" because you can beat the hell out of it and it will get you to work the next day no matter what. Never had a problem and will surely buy a Honda the next time around.

Another Great Honda
By risingsn on 04/20/08 12:03 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new because of the fuel economy & the fact that it was a Honda (my 8th). The first few years I was in sales & on the road all the time, I cruised @ about 85mph & got 37-38 mpg. Currently my wife commutes in this car 4 miles ea. way, in town & gets 32 mpg. Last week we drove 4 hrs (to Sea World & back) @70 mph & got 39 mpg. Other than normal maintenance I have only had to replace the 'B' pipe & the blower fan. The A/C is good (Florida), the manual trans is flawless. There can be road noise if your tires become unevenly worn. Currently the car has 165K mile & is still a great car. If you can find one, buy it!

My black baby
By chronodev87 on 08/24/06 14:35 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

I'm the second owner of my little black 5-speed hx. I absolutely love this car. The mileage is wonderful, it never seems at a lack of power (low weight), and the 5-speed works like an extension of my body. Honda really made a hell of a wonderful car here. The paint has held up really well and it starts without fuss every time. I get pretty good gas mileage with it as well. Probably around 35-36 combined (I drive pretty hard). I recommend this to anyone who can find one that isn't tricked-out, pimped, or in any other way stupidly modified.

no more CVT
By Jake on 06/13/06 08:58 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

have this car for a while. if you're planning on buying an used HX, DO NOT buy one with CVT transmission. it's like the worst tranny i've ever seen. it gives you no performance, car is slow, tranny belt slips and weird noise from the tranny as it ages. it also makes the car idle like crap especially when its cold. other than the transmission, its a very good car. engine still runs smooth (my car has 140k miles already), AC still blows cold, quiet interior, very good gas mileage (33mpg, all i do is city driving).

I dig my HX
By belrod on 02/25/06 11:33 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

I'm the proud 2nd owner of a manual HX, and, overall, I've been very satisfied with the car. With about 65,000 miles on it, this car sees mostly urban roads (especially the Capital Beltway), and is mainly used for shorts trips and commutes. This daily wear and tear has started to affect the starter and clutch a little bit (which hesitate or slip occasionally), but the car is still very reliable. I've only had one major issue with it: the muffler rusted and fell off at about 57,500 miles. Otherwise, she's running strong and still looks great. And, except for newer diesels or hybrids, you can't beat the MPG. Recommended for anyone shopping for the ideal commuter car.

Better than I expected.
By Karina on 07/22/05 11:06 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

Have 92K+ on this car, and 7 years, and still have one of the most fuel efficient cars on the market. Always reliable. Friends who borrow it love its "kick" -- me too. I just don't have a reason to sell it until its an absolute heap! More stylin' cars can't beat its advantages.

Last Honda I will Purchase
By Tom Giese on 06/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

I know Honda has a reputation that precedes itself. That being said I must have purchased that one in a thousand defective vehicle. I have had nothing but problems with my car the past two years(check engine light constantly coming on) O2 sensors, transmission control unit ($2400). The engineers at Honda spent weeks helping service stations. When I tried to contact Honda for help with my problems I encountered the worst customer service I have ever experienced. Again my experience may buck the norm but it has been bad enough for me to catagorically state I will never again purchase a Honda. Cheers.

RELIABLE VEHICLE
By ANTHONY on 04/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

SO FAR MY HONDA CIVIC HX COUPE HAS BEEN THE MOST RELIABLE AND FUEL EFFICIENT VEHICLE I HAVE OWNED. IT FEELS GOOD TO KNOW THE VEHICLE WILL START AND RUN EVERY TIME I NEED IT TO. I CURRENTLY LIVE IN TEXAS CITY TEXAS AND HAVE TAKEN MY HONDA TO SEE THE GRAND CANYON, COLORADO SPRINGS, CARLSBAD CAVERNS AND ALL OVER TEXAS. I HAVE NOT HAD A SINGLE PROBLEM WITH THE MOTOR OR TRANSMISSION. THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE HAD IS WITH THE CLEAR COAT FLAKING IN A SMALL AREA ABOVE THE DRIVER SIDE WINDOWN. I HAVE RECOMMENDED HONDA VEHICLES TO ALL MY FRIENDS AND LOVED ONES.