2004 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Nice ride
By Heavy one on 11/16/08 09:14 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I enjoy the car. I have 2 complaints- bad gas mileage and the leather seats are uncomfortable, especially with the cup holder up. I am a large guy and my leg falls off the seat. when the cupholder is put away the car is great.

A Winner
By JLS on 09/24/08 09:11 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This SES has the Duretc 24 Valve and on the highway at 2000 RPM consistently delivers 32 MPG - in town it fluctuates from 25-27 MPG. Leather seats comfotable, even for my 6'5: frame. At 2000 miles the check engine limit came on and the dealer replaced the entire gas tank and gage system. No problems since. At 61,000 miles the trnasaxle seal leaked and the dealer replaced it no charge. 1st Saturday of every month gets oil changed, tires rotated etc. Very good vehicle.

Been about a year now
By Mike J on 09/19/08 12:31 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Taurus about a year now and have been very happy with it. I have not taken any trips and do all in town driving averaging about 20 mpg. The ride is comfortable and inside and trunk are roomy. Since I bought this car at a used car dealer, the prices have actually gone up about $1,000 asking. Not bad for what some call a throw-away car.

Troubled Taurus
By Big_Guy_Green on 08/12/08 14:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The week after my girlfriend bought this car with 43000mi on it, she took it on a trip from central MN to Colorado. They encountered problems the entire way! It stalled 3 times in the mountains, twice needing to be jumped, and once more when they got back in MN. 5 trips to the dealer and 3 batteries later, we thought it was fixed. Now whenever the temp gets above 65 it will sputter at idle and accelerate like tortuise for the first 150 feet. Also, we started learning why this car is called "disposable" when parts started falling off and breaking in the interior. Not to mention the annoying heat shield rattle and fuel cap sensor! At least it gets 28mpg avg. We'll get a Malibu next time.

Drive it until it dies
By Scottj04 on 06/21/08 20:42 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Love this car. Economical, roomy and wonderful highway feel. Bought it in 2006 with 18K miles and have had little problems. Mostly highway driving (60 mile rural commute) I average 390 - 420 miles on a tank. Twice got 455 miles with still 18 Miles to E! The duratec engine is a fuel-sipping work horse. Highway performance is adequate, and even with four people and luggage (that all fit comfortably), the car still gets wonderful gas mileage! City mileage has gotten horrid. 1 week of it showed about 250 miles to a tank. and transmission seems to be slipping slighty at only 57K. A/C also robs engine performance. Staying with regular maintanence, this car will last forever!

Just Right
By Iceobar on 06/20/08 14:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Ford finally had it together for me. Just the right size and accruments. Comfort and style for 4. Utility to carry 6 in a pinch. And when we added a K & N air filter, synthetic oil and tires at 37 psi, 37 mpg on the highway loaded with 4 and full bags. Too bad they let it slip away.

2004 Ford Taurus SE
By David on 04/09/08 10:02 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I put a considerable amount of miles on this car each year; mostly highway. Car has averaged 20mpg. For the most part the Taurus has been reliable, but soon after I passed 60,000 miles (warranty expire) I started to have nagging issues. I performed the regular maintenance, but mechanical elements still broke down (i.e. transmission, alternator, etc.)

Wanna Trade?
By Wanna trade? on 03/13/08 15:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this vehicle for a little over a year now - my Gma bought it new and passed away, so I got it - and I have had to put tons of $ into it. I expected some, but not nearly the expense I've had. I get ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE gas mileage. 13/14 mpg at most... 15 if I want to spend the $50+ for 93 octane gas, but it's obviously not worth it.

Bring back into production
By MasterTech on 03/13/08 09:11 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this under D-plan as a Ford technician for around $12K brand new. This car is now a wow factor, but a solid family car. Wish I could have bought a fleet to last our family for the next millenium. So far I have only put tires and a starter on this vehicle after 83K miles. 1 recall for reflash PCM for flex fuel usage. The 3.0 Vulcan is bulletproof and these cars are easy to work on when they do require service. We will be keeping this vehicle until it can't go anymore in a million years.

204 SES
By Joe on 09/27/07 18:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan w/Duratec (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We have had two 2004 SES's. We owned the first one for 5 weeks before we were hit in the rearended by someone doing 50+ MPH and we were stopped. The car saved our life. I think the safety of the Taurus is fantastic. We have had the second one for 3 years. The Duratec engine if fantastic. Wonderful road car, very reliable. Still has original brakes at 80,000 miles, replaced tires at 55,000. No problems with it. 20MPG in town, 25MPG on hwy. We love this car!