Used 2004 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Oh My 2004
By MWOhio

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with just only 11 miles. I've only had to do regular maintenance for her. I've traveled from state to state and no problems. She's paid off now and I want to upgrade/customize her. I looked into buying a new Taurus, but I'd rather alter the current one I have and be payment free. I love this car.

Favorite Features

Very reliable and nice body style.

A very reliable car
By DTMAN

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

While there are some build quality issues, some whistling for example, but not intolerable, this Taurus has over 115K and I have put in a $250.00 coil (was cutting out) and tires, brakes and oil, that's it. Engine is super quiet, runs great and my mechanic says it's dry, no leaks, etc. I get 28+ mpg highway and about 19.5 city, great for a car this substantial My first Taurus, a 1987 performed much in the same way.

Favorite Features

Nice acceleration with DOHC V^, sporty look, nice finish

Suggested Improvements

better stereo, less whistles, door panels fell off on interior.

Ford replace GM - mistake
By 8thstbridge

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Whistle noise from drivers side doors; worst gas mileage of any car I have owned *including a '67 GTO! 46K - just replaced STARTER. Water on floor mats; someone else had same problem - factory MISSED a windshield seal & dealer just over stuffed with silicone sealant. Poor side door design, R Side Passenger window regulator failure already and when going through drive throughs and any winter driving or in rain, when you put the window down - all the rain etc. comes in on power buttons at armrest. Windshield washer hoses to spray heads have both cracked and had to be replaced....

Favorite Features

Gauges

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, side door design with armrest not getting soaked in driving rain or bad weather and you have to put the window down for tolls, or pay at a drive through window.

COMFORT, FUEL, SNOW, CRASH
By aardvark

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I found it to be a very comfortable car,I'm 5 ft and could see well out back when reversing. I found it a little scary going on ramps on highways, at the posted speed, felt like car wanted to overturn. Bad gas consumption, 12-13 miles per gallon in town between 13-20 at best on highway. Car skidded very easily on snow. It had great tires, so I think car was just light in back. Had a horrific wreck and survived and I believe it was because car was built well and I wore my seatbelt. But I am thinking of buying another Taurus. I did love my car.

Functional Vehicle
By ottem82

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great point A to point B vehicle. There is nothing exciting or flashy about it, at the same time it is comfortable, gets decent mileage, and is quite reliable. I bought it with 108000 on it and currently have 146000. I change the oil, put gas in it and drive it. Mileage in everyday driving is 21-25. On the highway driving 80 with the AC on 27-29. Overall it was cheap to purchase and easy to own. If the transmission holds up I'm hoping to run it past 200000.

Favorite Features

Nice 16" wheels, mpg, reliability, low price.

Suggested Improvements

Speakers are cheap, I wish it had a manual like every other vehicle on the planet.