Great economical sport hatch
By grizpin on
2012 Ford Focus SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
I searched for months to trade in my Dodge Nitro (19mpg) for a more family friendly economical/sporty car. Nothing I found compared value wise (space + economy) until I found the Ford Focus Hatchback (32mpg). I enjoy driving again with the Focus's German designed handling. I am able to maneuver swiftly through traffic so I not only save money on gas but I save time from my commute. I also still have enough cargo space to take my kids on weekend road trips when we want to get away. The dual clutch transmission takes about 2k miles to break in but once it does she runs as smooth as a standard automatic so drive it like you stole it for a while ;) Great car!
Favorite Features
Handling, economy, cargo and passenger space. I was thinking about a Fiesta at first but I have 4 teen aged kids and there is no way we would all fit in that car (even though it is '5' passenger lol). The Focus holds us all comfortably enough for a day long ride. As long as I keep the cargo weight to a minimum, the car handles the weight well enough although I can't zip around as well as I do with just myself.
Suggested Improvements
The car definitely needs more storage space up front for the driver. I can barely fit a pack of gum in the one provided. The drink holders could also be a bit deeper for improved stability of beverages. The door wells are deep enough but I rarely use the space provided. The deep well arm rest is also a bit small (holds maybe 4 cd's and phone charger) and I find my elbow barely sits at the edge of it while I hold the wheel. The glove box is also a bit of a reach from the driver side making it hard to get into. I won't access it while driving.