Best Focus model yet!
By unfocused1 on
2012 Ford Focus SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)
While it takes time getting used to the 6-speed dual clutch automatic transmission (I came from a 4-speed automatic, 2009 Focus), this model (SEL, Sedan, with SEL Premium package) blows its predecessor out of the water. Even if it costs a little bit more. I've felt no transmission slippage and haven't seen rogue RPM fluctuations, and mine is a newly built model (I should get the actual build date, but I bought it under a week ago, and the OD had "5" on it.) If there were problems, hopefully Ford's dealt with them. But, as with all things car, buy the extended warranty upfront. Handling is virtually perfect. A HUGE plus. Braking is much improved over the 2009 model.
Favorite Features
ABS, appearance, traction control, overhead lighting, moon roof, SYNC (not the MyTouch version), high gas mileage (claimed, I've owned this for under a week but expect the car to be as claimed. Most people are saying it delivers what's claimed, so no worries here.) In short, "302A"... Candy Blue is a hot color... Black is great, but black shows lots of brown... blue is cool, it doesn't show the dirt as readily...
Suggested Improvements
MyTouch SYNC (touch screen) is slow and unwieldy, especially when driving - hence my getting the second-best version of the car (manual buttons). Some have reported transmission issues, but since 8/1/2011 it sounds like those issues were addressed, but that doesn't mean there aren't other possible issues. As for me, I will be reading up on the new features - the salesman did discuss some things on how to get optimal performance out of the system, and that will make all the difference. (e.g. it has no torque converter, which renders shifting smoother, but at the expense of MPG efficiency... and there is a break-in period involved... but I've had no shakiness or other problems.)
By commuter11
on 02/24/12 10:49 AM (PST)

Don't buy the extended warranty up front! Buy it when the regular warranty is about to expire (or not at all). Typically, people get less money back from an extended warranty than they pay in, so it is not a good deal, particularly if you let them have your money years before the extended warranty might pay out. Also, if you buy it later on you can negotiate a price with any Ford dealer. (Never buy a non-manufacturer warranty, they have no incentive to pay out and will stiff you if at all possible. I've seen this at first hand.)

By unfocused1
on 02/29/12 16:08 PM (PST)

D'oh!! Too late for me on that, but I much appreciate your response! Even though the extended warranty might cost more, it does make some sense to let the included warranty (3 yr/36k) get close to running out first... wouldn't it cost a bit more at that point, as opposed to buying it up front due to a new car having no wear and tear? (Good point on negotiating, though...) I've never done anything except Dealer/brand-direct warranties. (I had a Toyota once, where buying the warranty from the dealer that sold it saved me...) I too would NEVER rely on non-manufacturer warranties...