2012 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Very Nice, Not Quite Perfect
By facelessdrone on 01/08/12 21:18 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Not like any Focus I've ever been in before. Outstanding quality of materials throughout. Looks and feels equivalent to a Mercedes -- no joke. Feels "big", solid, and quiet while you drive, but has speedy performance when you want it.

Solid, fun little car
By dan397 on 01/04/12 13:50 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I recently took a new job involving a long commute, and decided to look at the Focus and VW Golf TDI as commuter cars. Coming from a BMW 335i, I have high standards and the Focus (so far) has lived up to them. It's no BMW, but it's a fun car to drive and has enough bells and whistles that it doesn't feel like a penalty box even when compared to a far more expensive vehicle. The engine, chassis, and tranny aren't quite as refined as the Golf, but the car is still very solid and fun to drive with a good trade-off between handling and comfort. The Focus blows the Golf away in feature content, and both have very nice interiors for the price.

WOWOWOW
By ritchie19047 on 01/01/12 19:18 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

My new Titanium with the handeling package is an amazing value for money! The car is rock-solid in every driving situation, especially so on secondary roads with those choppy sections where heavy trucks tear up the surface on curves. My '10 Focus SES was very jumpy in those spots, and this car just glides through. It is "scary quiet" on the open road. The summer tires are the stickiest things I've ever driven; but I live in NE Pennsylvania, so I got a set of winter tires for the cold season (Mich Pilot Aspins), and they are just as amazing. The transmission is first rate (I don't understand all the negative chatter I've read). Pleanty of power; gutsy acceleration. Cont'd below...

Back from Honda
By lvstyle on 12/04/11 05:26 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Now that I've had my focus for a few weeks I can truly say what a remarkable car the new focus is.Lets start with the transmission. My tranny seemed to be doing some weird things in the beginning but it has smoothed out as it was just setting its shift points. Some find the shifting a bit un-nerving but my car is getting 31.4 miles on average. I have zero issue's with the tranny. If I wanted a car that gets lower gas mileage and has muscle I would have bought the mustang.The focus is fun to drive and suprisingly has a lot of pep under the hood. I traded an 06 civic and I'm not looking back. I had a lot of minor issues with the civic and the new civics dont have the value that focus has.

Going back for service for the 6th time.
By rdj84 on 11/29/11 22:44 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Ford Focus 2012 was sold to me as the new and improved version of the Ford compact cars. The car has a fair handling and an overall fair driving experience. After 3K miles, I'm still waiting for the 28mpg - 31mpg promise. I only get 24mpg on a good day. And then there is the My Ford Touch, powered by Microsoft. That should have been my first clue that I was getting set up for disaster. Nothing really works, when it comes to multitasking. I can't make a call without freezing the system. If I play the ipod (when it works) the bluetooth goes off. I have 19 separate video clips of all the malfunctions this car has.

update on the car
By lifeisahighway on 11/20/11 08:00 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I currently have almost 3k on the car. Now that I have spent more time driving it, I think that using the S mode makes the car accelerate better from a stop. I don't know if that is true, but it's just something that I have noticed. I know that in S mode that it holds the gears longer, so maybe that's why. The shifts also feel smoother in S. I don't use the select shift that much, because the location of the buttons on the shifter are awkwardly placed. I mostly drive in the city, and I have been getting an average of 29 mpg. What I love most about the car is how it handles. It just feels so solid and connected to the road!

Thumbs up and down
By andie333 on 11/17/11 13:53 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was looking for a car with excellent mpg for a long commute to work, and I bought the Focus hatch with manual trans. That was 6000 miles ago.So far, I've got mixed feelings about it. First, the good stuff: Car has the smoothest manual tran ever. Seats are comfortable, and cabin seems basic with a relatively intuitive dash and controls. It's slow to get up to speed, but holds consistently. maneuvering is tight and pretty nimble. My biggest disappointment so far has been with the car's mileage. only about 29. Weird cabin whir w windows open.

transmission troubles
By reedleo on 11/15/11 05:54 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I have >9,000 miles on my 2012 Focus with the dual-clutch automatic. I am not bothered by the backward roll on hill starts or the pulsing from dead stop, but it does have some real issues. 4 times now, driving in the S mode, when rolling through a low speed right turn then hitting the gas, all I get are revs and no power. I have to drive in S mode at low speed, because the shift points of the D mode are too low rpm (for max fuel economy no doubt) and the car shudders before it downshifts when given the gas. Also the tranny makes a lot of clatter noise in the 1-2 and 3-4 transitions, while being smooth as silk in all others.

Reminds me of...
By dq64 on 11/13/11 21:24 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've only been driving my Focus about a week and half and that might be a bit too early for Edmunds' wishes for the sake of this board, but I will check in here as I drive more. I just wanted to say that the last time I felt so "right" in a new car before my Focus was my 1988 Honda CRX Si. I remember the 1st week or two of that car was pure perfection. I've had 4 new cars and 1 used since (Del Sol, Integra GSR, Subaru WRX, Mustang GT, 1998 Subaru Impreza) and none have felt as precise or pleasing as this. I just think it's worth noting that I never thought I'd find another car that felt as good as my CRX.

Great Buy
By focusfanatic1 on 10/27/11 16:58 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I could not be more pleased with this vehicle. Materials appear to be great quality, excellent ride for a small car and gas mileage is incredible. It feels good to drive an American made vehicle that feels of great quality like this one. Hatchback offers adequet room. A lot of people are complaining about the transmission, but nothing about it bothers me yet.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback in VA is:

$127 per month*