Used 2003 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Focus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Horrible Car
By nellaru15

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car with just under 15,000 miles at about 20,000 the problems began. Gone through 2 sets of tires, 4 wheel bearings, sway bar links, 2 alignments, many wheel balancing and still shakes all the time. Just going through a brake light problem-cant figure out what it is, not bulbs fuses or brake light switch. Not to mention the interior lights and headlights flicker all the time. If under 20 degrees outside the headlights go out when turning down from high beam. Radio screen has lines going through it so you can barely read it sometimes, and occasinally turns itself up and down, and mute button works on occasion. Doors very hard to open. Horrible car at least this years model.will never buy a Ford again. Very dangerous car. Wouldn't recomend to anyone.

Favorite Features

It's a good size for me being single, and gets good gas mileage, but that's about it.

Suggested Improvements

Everything!

No Real Problems
By MissDragun

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for a while now, and I just love it. Most people seem to frown on Ford cars but I did my research before buying - and I'm glad I didn't listen to them. Only recently did I have a problem with the factory installed Blankrupt radio. Though a radio is nice, it's a minor problem to get fixed. If you are looking for a nice, dependable, well engineered vehicle - I recommend the Focus.

Favorite Features

Comfort, ease of controls, not too big, not too small

Suggested Improvements

From what I hear, the radio is a rare problem but not unheard of, so I think they should consider using another brand.

Fun Little Car
By James

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because I was traveling long distance to work, at first 120 miles on way now about 60. The gas mileage is good. I avergave about 30 mpg. I have really enjoyed having it. No major problems. I did have to replace the ignition switch once and the engine light stays on, I'm told it's because of where I buy my gas. I just find this a fun little car. My entire family enjoys the car. It goes good in the snow and wet roads as long as I take it nice and easy. Ford must have done something right with this one because I see lots of them on the road.

Favorite Features

It feels like a safe car. Small but safe feeling. Plenty of visibility.

Suggested Improvements

Ability to put the back seats down from inside the car not just through the trunk.

Not The Best
By Jennifer

2003 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My dad originally bought this car for me for my first car. I will say that for a first time driver, it is decent. Very easy to drive. For the few years I owned it, I never had any mechanical problems with it. The 4cyl. engine, in my opinion, is way too small. Awful pickup on the highway. It is very low to the ground and had a tendency to bottom out. Also, not really good in the snow. Decent MPG though. I ended up trading it in for a 07 Jeep Liberty, which I love and would recommend to someone over the Focus.

Favorite Features

Cute style.

Suggested Improvements

More pickup. Better in the snow.

The Worst Car I've Ever Owned
By William Sparrow

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Instrument cluster died first, that alone was around six hundred dollars. Three sensors were defective and it failed inspection. A vacuum switch was followed by a major transmission malfunction. The trunk can be problematic at times. The visors are poor and the ignition switch is faulty. I have put 21000 gentle miles on this sedan. I drive like an old man and have this car serviced regularly (when it is not being repaired). I am a teacher and find myself struggling financially as a result of this purchase. The repair costs have far outweighed the fuel savings. I believe that Ford is negligent beyond reason. Ford should be ashamed of this abysmal car!

Favorite Features

The windshield wipers because they work! It is one of the few parts that I have not replaced.

Suggested Improvements

Spend more time working out the kinks and potential defects of a product before placing on the market. This product (2003 Focus) is not ergonomically sound.