Used 2003 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews - 136 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Focus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Got rid of it
By Chris

2003 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car at 40k miles and got rid of it at 64k. We had the key problem where the ignition locks up; we just never took the key out, always left it in the car to avoid getting stranded. Couldn't put chains on it. Trunk wouldn't shut properly. Gas mileage steadily declined despite regular oil changes and check ups. After reading all the reviews about the car crapping out around 60k, we just wanted to be rid of it.

Horrible Car
By nellaru15

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car with just under 15,000 miles at about 20,000 the problems began. Gone through 2 sets of tires, 4 wheel bearings, sway bar links, 2 alignments, many wheel balancing and still shakes all the time. Just going through a brake light problem-cant figure out what it is, not bulbs fuses or brake light switch. Not to mention the interior lights and headlights flicker all the time. If under 20 degrees outside the headlights go out when turning down from high beam. Radio screen has lines going through it so you can barely read it sometimes, and occasinally turns itself up and down, and mute button works on occasion. Doors very hard to open. Horrible car at least this years model.will never buy a Ford again. Very dangerous car. Wouldn't recomend to anyone.

It's a good size for me being single, and gets good gas mileage, but that's about it.

Everything!

No Real Problems
By MissDragun

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for a while now, and I just love it. Most people seem to frown on Ford cars but I did my research before buying - and I'm glad I didn't listen to them. Only recently did I have a problem with the factory installed Blankrupt radio. Though a radio is nice, it's a minor problem to get fixed. If you are looking for a nice, dependable, well engineered vehicle - I recommend the Focus.

Comfort, ease of controls, not too big, not too small

From what I hear, the radio is a rare problem but not unheard of, so I think they should consider using another brand.

Fun Little Car
By James

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because I was traveling long distance to work, at first 120 miles on way now about 60. The gas mileage is good. I avergave about 30 mpg. I have really enjoyed having it. No major problems. I did have to replace the ignition switch once and the engine light stays on, I'm told it's because of where I buy my gas. I just find this a fun little car. My entire family enjoys the car. It goes good in the snow and wet roads as long as I take it nice and easy. Ford must have done something right with this one because I see lots of them on the road.

It feels like a safe car. Small but safe feeling. Plenty of visibility.

Ability to put the back seats down from inside the car not just through the trunk.

Not The Best
By Jennifer

2003 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My dad originally bought this car for me for my first car. I will say that for a first time driver, it is decent. Very easy to drive. For the few years I owned it, I never had any mechanical problems with it. The 4cyl. engine, in my opinion, is way too small. Awful pickup on the highway. It is very low to the ground and had a tendency to bottom out. Also, not really good in the snow. Decent MPG though. I ended up trading it in for a 07 Jeep Liberty, which I love and would recommend to someone over the Focus.

Cute style.

More pickup. Better in the snow.