Used 2003 Ford Focus ZX3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Ford = Fix. Or. Repair. Daily.
By jaym83

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a nightmare. Every other focus owner ive talked to hates this car too. Never buy this vehicle. Even the ford mechanics at the dealerships ive been to tell me this car is nothing but a bag of issues. I have had this car for less than six years and put less than 40,000miles on it and have had so many issues. This car eats tires and rear brakes like candy. So far, new ignition cylinder after six months of ownership, new motor mounts, new fog lights, new throttle cable, more new tires, more new brakes, rear defroster repair, new alternator, driver seat broke (spot welds that hold the seat up right broke), manual window crank broke off, ECU repair, and none of this is covered by Ford.

Favorite Features

Small parking size

Suggested Improvements

Read my review.

Love this car
By seahawk68

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 14,000 miles, it was a car rental from Hertz. I know have 160,000 miles. I have driven this car every where. I put studs on it and in snow and ice it is like a tank. I put low profile tires during the summer and it cruises and hugs the corners. I have had not issues with this car except the usuals of tires, lights and stuff like that. It is so fun to drive, I have had it eight years now and I still love driving it

Favorite Features

Love driving it

Suggested Improvements

Maitenance is not user friendly, the engine conpartment is so tight that it is very hard to change anything. It took me and a friend three hours to get the alternator out of the engine compartment. it took ten minuetes to get it disengaged from the motor and three hours to romve from where it was because there was no room to pull it out. We had to use a crow bar and pry it out.

Don't Waste Your Money!
By rubypussycat

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was excited to get my used car in 2003, but quickly regretted buying it a year later. I first thought it was the dealership because the seatbelt still needed to be fixed and they took out the spare tire when I recieved the car the same day. I have kept all the receipts and made an excel list of all the repairs and maintence I have done so far. So here it is: 3 starters, 1 alternator, ingition switch, cd player fixed (it kept shutting off by itself), 3 positive battery terminals and positve battery cable. My car is now at 100,858 miles because I have done most repairs by myself, but I DO NOT recommend anyone to buy this car. This is not typical for any vehicle!!

Favorite Features

I Love the interior! It has soo much room in the trunk and nice head room for passengers, but little leg room. It has great pickup and goes fast.

Great Car for Reasonable price.
By lilkk

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my 2003 Ford Focus ZX3-5 speed manual since July of 2003. For being a lower priced vehicle I couldn't have asked for a better more reliable vehicle. I've only had two problems over the last, almost, 8 years. The first full summer I owned the vehicle the A/C went out, but was covered under warranty-no hassles. Recently I had to replace the alternator, otherwise besides routine maintenace it has been a fantastic reliable vehicle I couldn't be happier. When I bought the vehicle I was just going to college. The storage in the back of the vehicle is amazing for the size. For being a small vehicle it handled Wisconsin winters very very well. Definitely recommend Focus.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, pick up, storage space.

REVIEW
By Mrs.Mechanic 6/23/10

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my car in 2006. It had 27,528 miles. Now at 113,200 miles. I have had no major problems with it, with the exception of poor lighting. I just replaced the motor mount, and the ignition switch last year(09). I think this is a great starter car for any young person.

Favorite Features

Trunk space, gas mileage, Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Lights, need more room.