Great Truck, Bad MPG
By trophyf1 on
2012 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (3.7L 6cyl 6A)
I purchased my 2012 F150 XLT S-Crew 2x4 with the 3.7 V6 in February and already got rid of it. First off, I love F150's and FORD. Great value, look great, have nice build quality, etc. They have proven reliable in the past as all I have owned is FORD's. This 2012 with the 3.7 dropped the ball big time on MPG. I drive like a grampa and the EPA estimates are way off. I was able to get 22mpg highway with cruise control at 65 for the whole tank on a long trip once. Around town MPG dropped to 13.5 which is unacceptable. The 3.7 is fast though... faster than my old 5.4 v8. Traded the truck for a 4 cyl Tacoma that actually gets EPA estimates.
Favorite Features
Quiet, snappy and fast 3.7 motor relatively speaking, looks great outside, big windows. Never had a problem with a FORD and they are tough trucks. MAJOR CON: The rear headrests. Why have a back window if the headrests take up the entire window? Have them fold down like a Tacoma doublecab, just a thought.
Suggested Improvements
Its 2012, lets get a full size truck that ACTUALLY gets the EPA estimates and that is capable of more than 15.5mpg average with a low displacement motor. FORD may have lot my brand loyalty on this one. Its a great truck if you are willing to accept MPG that does not correspond well with EPA estimates. I was very disheartened. Great looking truck that is quiet and drives nice, but gets the same MPG as my first 1995 F150 with the 302 v8. Install a rear view camera like Tacoma's... its impossible to see behind the obnoxiously tall tailgate. Install door stops that are in convenient locations so the door cant swing way open or not open enough.