Used 2004 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

2000 better than 2004
By Nighthawk779

2004 Ford Explorer Limited AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third Explorer and my last. My 2000 has been the best of the 3 2000 03 &04, All 3 had the transmission rebuild, but only the 2000 has had nothing else repaired. Everything works as well as new over 205,000 miles on it now. The engines have never been a problem until now. We now have electical and rear end noise now. The 2000 pulled trailers boats and what you could get on the bumper with no effort. I wish they would bring back sun visor recorder. Also the 2nd sun visor. But I am looking at Highlanders now. 3600 for a new transmission had me looking for a different manufacturer. P.S. we did change trasmission fuild every fluid at 30,000 at the dealer no less.

heated mirrors, sef dimming mirror. The ability to go off road at a moments notice. Great clearence

better seat belt retractors always getting stuck in door. transmission needs attention

2004 xlt two wheel drive 4.0 v-6
By BFR

2004 Ford Explorer XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

bought used with 12000 miles on it in 2005. I now have 92000 10/28/09. I had one front wheel bearing go out. changed the hub assembley myself was not to hard but cost was $200.00.New tires at 86000 miles, and never rotated the tires once, and they wore even. Gas milage 15/16 city 21/22 highway.I run mobil 1 oil and change every 6000 miles.My wife drives it 80% of the time , and loves it. I coach baseball and have plenty of room to haul everything.No complaints

dvd for the kids on trips.

maybe a little more room side to side.

What a waste!
By Jennifer

2004 Ford Explorer XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ok so I bought my explorer NEW Paid way to much and now 5 years later I am still paying for it both payments and over whelming repairs! I have gone thru 3 rear ends, 2 water pumps, 4 sets of tires because of there state of the art anti-slip crap eats tires right of the thing. Rear windsheild wiper caught on fire yes smoke and flames because it over heated called Ford they don't care! Needs another rear end, and now a cam! I have nothing nice to say about Ford anymore! My whole family owned Ford vehicals and the last one is out the door, whats even funnier is my father the Ford man just bought an 86 Dodge pickup runs better then any of the Fords he has ever owned! Explorer 108,000 miles on it

CD player is still working!

Needs a total over haul Ford needs to go back to its roots and start building cars the way they use to! To LAST!

CRAP
By Mad

2004 Ford Explorer XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Week #1 I had to return vehicle to dealer because the tranny slipped. Over the course of 4 years (till the warranty expired) it was back 8 times due to tranny probs. It was not until I got the States Attorney's office involved did Ford repair it. Since then I've had to have a rear differential/axle seal replaced, the left rear wheel bearing is shot and now I cannot drive it because the harmonic balancer imploded! Ford say that they cannot sell a replacement because there is a National shortage....approx 5,000 suv's need the part and non are avail (manufacter went belly up). I found one in a junk yard! Oh yea, the cruise control was a recalled and replaced. Still doesn't operate.

Interior and ride with 17" wheels.

Ford should recall the trannys, the differential (replace the 2 piece seals with the single piece seal) and recall the harmonic balancers (before the main bearings and seals explode!

Ford Explorer Trouble?
By JoeLyn

2004 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the second Ford Explorer that we have owned. I'm not sure that there will be a third. Our 2004 explorer has had the timing chains replaced, the paint is coming off in sheets from the top, the heater would not work until we had work completed on it, now we just replaced the valve lifters. What's next???? We are heart sick. Does Ford not back their vehicles any better than that. My husband and I planned to wait until later to buy a new vehicle. It probably will not be a Ford. Too bad, I have always like the style of the Explorer.

I love the size and the color. It is very comfortable.

I suggest that Ford back their vehicles. They need to actually recall defects such as the heater problem and the paint problem. Obviously, we were not the only ones with this problem. I even called a Ford dealership and I was told, "You must own a white or silver explorer. That happens to them."

• SUV