Do NOT buy a 2002 Ford Explorer!!!
By joseph980 on
2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
The 2002 Ford Explorer is junk! Even Ford will not stand behind it. Lets see: New Transmission ($3k), new front and back timing tensioners ($2700), new wheel bearings ($400 each), new wheel springs ($400 each), new window regulators ($380 each), new back window ($800), new 4X4 module ($500), new fuel pump ($750), front suspenion things, work on the electrical system several times ($$), new O2 sensor, etc, etc. It's paid for but the problems started around 80K miles. Ford really made a POS. I know I am forgetting some repairs, there were too many. Quality is NOT job #1 at Ford. Time to buy foreign.
By esasllc
on 05/30/13 14:40 PM (PDT)

I am about to purchase a 2002 Explorer XLS, from a customer, that I have serviced for 6 years. They have their share of problems and I have the invoices to prove that, but they are not as bad as people claim. I replaced most of the items you mentioned, but not for near the cost you paid. $500 for a 4X4 module? I replaced my customer's for a total cost of about $275. This has a 118K and runs excellent. I did the window regulators for under $300.00 each. It seems that that not only did you have multiple problems, but to add insult to injury, the repair costs were too high.

By zagnotoft
on 05/22/13 09:58 AM (PDT)

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer Limited. It has over 150k miles on it, and I haven't had a single problem. I think you just have bad luck. I purchased mine new in 2002. If you bought yours used, maybe the previous owner didn't treat it as nicely as you had hoped?