2002 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Solid vehicle
By Paul on 11/06/09 16:48 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I been putting plenty of miles on this vehicle and she holds up strong. Am currently pushing 170,000 miles and have not had to put any major cash into maintenance. Would highly recommend this suv to anyone out there looking.

The Honeymoon ended quickly.
By Sean on 11/04/09 03:03 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought new in '02. The new car smell, and the dealer gave me a great deal. Loved the remodel from old style (Traded in '00 sport). Then reality hit. First time on vacation entire rear glass door assembly broke from hinges and I caught it luckily. Then had fuel pump assembly and tank relaced. Both under warranty thank god. Then the rear door broke again. Then the rear door cracked below the windshield wiper assembly. The interior plastic grey trim along the top of the door front seat doors along the windows has seriously faded. The black exterior trim between the front and rear doors has also faded. It now has 103K miles after 7 years and I will drive this into the ground.

7 years w/few issues
By Tolland Mc Murray on 09/27/09 20:28 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

On the hole, this has been a decent 'family truckster' for seven plus years. Major issues have been the leaking rear differntial and an alternator that quit on the freeway during rush hour. Transmission now starting to slip a bit at 87000 miles. Has been great in the snow and on other lnog-distance trips, good combination of passenger room and stuff hauling ability. I have been very pleased with my Explorer, look forward to having it for many more years.

has been a great SUV!
By MGGDTW on 09/27/09 19:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Can't believe hearing about all the probs people have been having with these! Very happy owner here. Owned since new,112k miles on my 4 door 2WD 4.0 V6 as of now. Rear axle replaced at 30k under warranty. Front suspension components were all replaced finally at 100k. Some AC components were also replaced. No continuous or nagging problems. Took a 6500 mile road trip from Detroit to Death Valley and back without a lick of probs back in 05. 123 degree's at Furnace Creek and AC kicking ice cold. Great for the long haul!

LOVE MY SUV
By LadyC85 on 08/29/09 13:08 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've only had my car 2 months but I love it I drove it from Missouri to California and back which is a total of 3,700 and had no problems but my brakes needed to be replaced once we got to California it drives just as smooth and quiet as it drove when we bought it.....I guess the only problem I have with it is the six disc CD changer sometimes gets stuck and its hell getting the cd's out

Death Mobile
By Deane on 08/25/09 13:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the worst car I have ever owned it is dangerous, expensive & unreliable. It started with fractured paint (over the whole car. I was told by Licardi Ford, where it was purchased, that I had the car repainted; not true!),the small back hatch exploding in my face, I then went on to replace: bad brakes,dropped transmission, broken front axle, broken rear axle, electrical system twice,the doors periodically go out of alignment & not close properly, and, when it rains, it rains in the car. Theres more but why continue; this is bad enough.

Wheel bearing nightmare
By Paul Becker on 08/17/09 06:41 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

It's obvious now that Ford has a real problem with the wheel bearings on the Explorer. Today, I am having the 4th wheel bearing replacement on my Explorer. Right rear (once) Left rear (twice) and today, Left front (once). It seems inevitable that the next to go is the Right front. What a complete pain and drain on the wallet with each replacement costing $400. Other issues include body hardware and a way underpowered engine.

love the safety and room but the engine.
By gerri on 08/16/09 08:48 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased my ford explorer xlt brand new. I love the safety of it. The comfort is great but the engine yuk. I've replaced the transmission once already. Slowly parts start to go. Fords attitude was your warranty is up nothing we can do!! I would buy it again only if the quality of the engine and trani were better. And use better parts all around!! I love to buy american but lets see the quality and customer service get alot better!

Biggest Mistake
By Biggest Regret on 08/13/09 19:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Loved exterior so much compulsive buy. Biggest Mistake I ever made. Friends had been driving Fords for years no problem. mine Blew spark plugs. Dealer wanted 3000 to replace heads. Luckily private mechanic repaired for 800. Only prob, it kept happening. 3 of 8 cylinders blew over a year so in all 2400. Trans problems too. I have to say it never stranded me and I put 147000 on it in 3 yrs. With blown spark plug engine ran and got me to safety.Replaced rear Bearings, and Brakes froze in "applied" position. This warped rotor, melted brake lines, and ruined pads. 700 in repairs. A PLUS though after going offroad and air borne into small river (knee deep in water upon exit)it never tried to flip

HAVE A CRACK UNDER THE REAR WINDOW???
By Bakemama on 08/13/09 13:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I see so many people posting about getting a crack on the body below the rear window, sometimes under the rear wiper. I had that on my 02 Explorer Limited in 05, but had it fixed asap as it was a recall issue. So if your dealer says they cant fix it... thats a bunch of bull. As for my Limited, I don't have it any longer, and wish I still had it! I have a huge commute and couldn't afford the gas when it went up to $5 a gallon, so traded it in for a sedan. Am now looking to get rid of the sedan and find another Explorer. The limited trim and features were excellent and I converted more GMC/Chevy and import guys that hated Fords with it. Also worth noting, never had any mechanical probs with it