Used 2002 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Junk
By Kern

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this slightly used with only 14k miles. Nice looking truck inside and out. But after only owning it a year, everything started going wrong. Interior lights shorted out and so did the mirror ext. lights. Coil spring went. Mechanic said it was a design flaw that fords knew about it. Wheel bearings all the way around at 40k miles. Power window problems at 50k. Then at 80, rear diff. and trans went so we got rid of it. It was a money pit. It still rode nice the day we got rid of it but too many repairs. My last Ford explorer purchase.

ride, roomy

better over all design with bad coil springs and wheel bearings.

Poor Transmission
By Sergio

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the Explorer Limited and have been satisfied with it except for the transmission. During the warranty phase (5 yr/50K mile) Ford repaired the transmission but at 87K the trans had to be rebuilt. Again at 103K the trans was repaired by Ford Dealership (this time Ford paid) and they claim the fix it part as recommended by Ford Detroit was installed. I have lost confidence in my Explorer. Has someone had similar experiences w/ their transmission and will this fix it be good for another 80-100K miles?

Fantastic SUV
By susy

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my explorer. So far, no problems. I'm better satisfied with this Ford than I have with all of my former purchases. Exactly what I was looking for and couldn't be happier.

The placement of the dashboard features and the comfort of the air, seats and overall bigness. Love the 3rd seat.

The handles that you use to pull yourself into the SUV could be moved, maybe closer to the windshield. My daughter hits her head every time she gets inside.

Heavy Duty Clutch!
By ranger Ed

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The heavy duty clutch is a loser! The first one went out at approx. 60k. Then it went out in Feb '10 and I still can't get a replacement because Ford stopped making that clutch. I guess even they knew how bad it was. I'm currently working with a clutch specialty shop in California to try and build a clutch from scratch.

Do Not Purchase
By susanconn

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car has been nothing but trouble since we purchased it. The transmission has been rebuilt, wheel bearings replaced, and now the o/d off light is blinking, the service engine light is on and the ABS warning light is on. Apparently the o/d off light blinking means our transmission is not functioning properly again.