Used 2002 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 374 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

No major problems either
By Happy too

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have to agree that many people that do not have problems do not post, however I am shocked to see all the negative ratings. I have had my Explorer for 3 years now and it has been in the shop twice for a very minor cosmetic issue, nothing engine related. Ford didn't charge me a dime either time and they were both past warranty. I have 92,000 miles on my Explorer (I drive a lot of miles as you see) and I have been nothing but happy with it. The only reason I am on this site is to look at cars for better gas mileage. I have no intention of getting rid of my Explorer.

It is roomy and yet not too bulky where you cannot park it anywhere. The overall design is perfect for our needs.

BETTER GAS MILEAGE!

Good Vehicle
By Lori B.

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Minor problems, fixed under warranty, rear axle seals needed replacing, shocks needed to be replaced after only 1 year, aside from those issues, it's a really great vehicle. Tried to trade it in for a new one. Market Value is incredibly low, couldn't trade it in. I guess I'll have to keep it. Sorry FORD, no new sale here.

Had a DVD player installed for the kids, great for trips. Lots of cargo space. Great looking vehicle.

Work on the gas mileage issue.

Do Not Buy
By DoNotBuy

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love/Hate this vehicle. It drives great it handles very well and it looks good. But I am sick of things going wrong. The AC lasted a month. the back glass dam near fell off. The child locks would trap people in the back seat. An engine sensor died. the passenger window whistles. An idler pulley bearing went out and threw the belt. The drivers seat is loose and the dam black panels between the side windows are fading out. If I would have know this I would not have purchased this vehicle.

V8 when it works. Back lift gate when it stays attached. The stereo hides wind noise when I drive alone.

Better build qaulity. Give people $30,000 qaulity for $30,000 is that so hard.

Great Vehicle, No problems
By JKT

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used with 33,000 miles a little while ago. Great family vehicle, love the 3rd row seat. Gas mileage for SUV is acceptable, compared to OTHER SUV's. Interior is well appointed, heated seats great, interior os sturdy. love the factory subwoofer. Exterior is fine, but plastic molding around foglights made cheap. Have to replace all 4 disks and pads already. Would buy again.

Heated Seats, Subwoofer, 3rd row seat.

Plastic Foglight molding.

Nice Vehicle
By DMN

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Moved up from 2001 Sport Track, appreciate added and updated comfort. Rear seat awkward to enter/exit, a little hard for regular folks. Engine and driveline excellent, brakes and steering exceptional. Clean style, a little upmarket and more capable Honda Accord. Use vehicle for business travel in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Utah and appreciate safety of 4 wheel drive.

Engine & driveline, interior and ride height. Gas mileage excellent at 25, a little better than my 2001 Sport Trac

Nose design a little mundane and seems to be have its nose in the air. Soft plastic in interior subject to unrepairable scratches and deep gouges.