2002 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews 33

2002 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

2002 Explorer Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
more "premium" than expected
By pooldude

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've just leased an "02 Explorer (XLT, V8, leather, moonroof, 3rd row, Sport pkg.), and left the dealer less than thrilled. I was disappointed at not being able to lease a more premium suv in my business, and I settled for good old Ford. Some 200 miles later, I find myself grinning alot, driving as much as possible, and wondering "WHAT WAS I THINKING???". My new sled amounts to nothing less than a combination of performance car, tow vehicle, mini van, trail runner, and stylin' cruiser. Everyone admires and respects her. I think I'm falling in love.

Favorite Features

power, handling, space, versatilty, moonroof, driver's seat travel, adjustable pedals.

Suggested Improvements

dash materials and gauges. Not bad, but Ford could have done better

Proud Explorer Owner
By Edward Costantini

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I still have a 1994 Explorer which I bought new. I now have a 2002 Explorer also.If I get the good service out of my new Explorer that I have gotten out of my 1994 I will be very pleased There is a world difference in smooth riding in my new Explorer.I have 8000 miles on my new Explorer now. But time will tell on quality.I have been to the Ford dealership one time with viberation in the steering colum,and they corected it.So far I like the new vehicle very good.

Favorite Features

Smooth Riding Overhaul Looks Handling "Neat Workmanship"

Suggested Improvements

Do not use dark plastic on top of the dash next to the windshield,because it cast a dark shadow on the bottom half of the windshield and makes it look tinted from the eye level down which is annoying.

BEST EXPLORER I'VE HAD
By RON G

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

THIS IS MY 3RD EXPLORER SINCE 1990, AND ITS THE BEST. THE RIDE, THE QUALITY, THE WHOLE PACKAGE IS SO IMPROVED. BEFORE I BOUGHT MY EXPLORER, I CHECKED OUT THE CHEVY TRAILBLAZER. AFTER THE TEST RIDE AND CHECKING OVER THE VEHICLE, I RAN BACK TO FORD AND ORDERED MY EDDIE BAUER, WITH THE V-8. I'M VERY PLEASED THAT I DID. THE TRAILBLAZER WAS SMALLER AND JUST DIDN'T HAVE THE QUALITY OF THE EXPLORER. IF YOU ARE AN OWNER OF AN OLDER EXPLORER, TAKE THE TIME AND CHECK THE NEW ONE OUT.

Favorite Features

TAILGATE IS EASY TO LOAD AND UNLOAD, THE SOUND SYSTEM IS FANTASTIC, AND THE MOON ROOF IS A MUST HAVE.

Suggested Improvements

WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE INTERIOR SEATING ONE SOILD COLOR

Goood
By Peter eagle

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Test drove the xlt 4.0, I own a 1998 explorer xlt but this years is 10 times better than the old model, I orderd the limited with V8, eventhough the 4.0 felt strong I will incline for the 4.6 just in case.

Favorite Features

Steering feels secure

Suggested Improvements

Better equipped like the 98 explorer radio looks cheap and sound crapy

emmision problems
By WORRIED

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I drove for six months with the "new engine smell", I thought, to find out the catalytic converter was bad. Had to wait a week to get a new one. Back to dealership for that only to have service engine soon light come on. Now it has a bad oxygen sensor. Wait again for that to be replaced. Picked it up and now the idle is bad and it is back in the service dept. I don't know if this is a sign of a "lemon" or a bad service department. But my original excitement is starting to wane.

Favorite Features

spacious cabin, great handling and visibility, appearance is good

Suggested Improvements

they could light the sun visor mirrors in the XLS. the only way they had them at the dealership was to pay another $4K for the XLT. They could also keep some parts in stock at the service departments rather than have to keep making repeat trips every time something goes wrong.

Finally Bought
By kelbrit

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

.I drove a Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota 4Runner and the Ford Exployer. I thought the 2002 Ford Expolyer was superior to the others to driving, comfort and style.The standard 2002 Ford Exployer XLS comes with everything I need, (Except Auto Trans) At that time Ford had a $1500 rebate. I thought that was great until I visited a Ford Dealer in another town. They had a $2000 rebate. I went back to my orignal dealer. He met the rebate plus put is a CD player and mats. I paid cost less $2000, plus $190.00 in doc fees. I have 2500 miles on the Exployer.The new suspension on the 2002 is fantastic. Thanks Edmunds

Favorite Features

Favorite Features. Ride, style, comfort, very well built.

Suggested Improvements

Put as standard, Automatic Transmission

First time buyer
By Burns4u

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I like the amount of space the option of the 3 row seat and the comfort of the automobile in general. I like the new look ie. wider frame. With the wider frame I feel there is less of a chance of roll over. I have test drove Exolorers before and I think the 2002 Explorer rides better than the older models. When purchasing the Explorer I would not think that one would expect the SUV to ride like a car. The Explorer is not made like a car nor is it made to be a car. The Explorer is a 4x4 automobile. If you want a vehicle that rides like a car then buy a car. I give the Explorer a Thumbs UP!!

Favorite Features

The way that back hatch opens either the window or the whole back.

Suggested Improvements

Move the buttons for the 4x4. I notice that when I am changing the radio station I find myself hitting the buttons. I also do not like the way that the fact that the people in the back can not get out until the doors are manualy unlocked.

Love my new Explorer
By sandiegoexplorer

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I can't believe the negative comments on this site. Did some of you buy your Explorers in Afganistan or something? I just got my new Explorer XLT and love it. Granted, my mileage is under 5000, but I just can't see this car suddenly falling apart and becomming a repair nightmare. The new styling in great, and I'm so glad I got the V8 - great power and torgue. My only minor complaint is that there seems to be too much road vibration traveling up the steering column and into the steering wheel. Has anyone experienced this? Seems like there should be some more dampening in the steering column.

Favorite Features

V8, styling, lower tailgate lid for easy access to cargo area (GM has yet to figure this out) and absolutely those great lights under the side mirrors that illuminate the entire side of the truck at night - great safety feature.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the road vibration traveling up the steering column, move the power seat controls to the arm rests where someone can reach them, don't hide the cargo area power door lock button, and the doors should lock by pressing one number not two on the keypad.

Happy Owner
By jaime

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

First ever Explorer and Love it. Lots of room, great get up and go, fun and easy to drive. Make sure to check the manufacturing dates - model changed after 1/28/02

Favorite Features

Roominess, turns on a dime, safety rating

Suggested Improvements

Better power seat controls, improve those headrests to move back and forth, not just up and down.

New design, Better Explorer
By Two Ford Owner

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great to drive, Great comfort, Always turn heads.