2002 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
good in formula bad in practice
By tompnoid on 03/29/11 09:09 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ford has built a truck with all wheel drive to help with horse power and grip when riding on wet roads awesome right?? no... a great idea in a lab isnt always practical in real life mine has 89k on it and needs a new transmission i went to a shop the other day and asked a guy about price said i have a 2002 ford explorer he goes wait look over there see all those boxes those are transmissions for 2002 ford explorers. you cannot build a full time 4 wheel drive vehicle that is this heavy and have only a 4.0 l v6 powerplant. this would of been a great vehicle with better gas milage and no trannsmission issues had they only put in a button to let u disengage the 4 wheel drive.

STOP DOGGING THIS GREAT VEHICLE!!!!
By woodysh7 on 01/08/11 10:25 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

i am so sick of seeing so many people putting down this vehicle. i have owned this vehicle for a year now and absolutely love it. it drive great, performs flawlessly, i bout it cheap and feel good about the purchase all together. i feel that alot of people dont like this vehicle because they are just plain stupid and dont know how to get a great deal. so, please people . stop it now!!! i have had no transmission problems, no bearing problems, no electrical problems, no problems at all!! i think there are some ford haters on here just putting down the vehicle for no reason. this vehicle drives great, so go out and buy one today!! dont let all these haters on here make you believe their crap!!

Well is this it?
By vue5531 on 01/01/11 00:50 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have a 2002 Explorer Limited, but I have the V-8 model, and all I can say is that I absolutely hate this vehicle. The interior is of poor build quility, it's not roomy, comfortable, or very attractive. I am 6'7'' and also have a Saturn Vue and it has so much more interior room.The ride is absolutely terrible. You feel every bump and crack in the road. The transmission has gone out twice since I've owned the car, electronics work when they want to. I think that if your going to spend near $43k like I did (brand new), you can buy so many other vehicles that are much better and cheaper, and with less problems. The only good thing is the power the V-8 produces.

Reliable SUV
By Louise on 11/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it used in 2007 with 112K, few things had to be tuned, one ball joint replaced. Since 2007 only had to change battery and tires. CD changer does not work right, climate control has a mind of its own. Currently got 155k, rides OK. I drove it across the country several times, comfortable, enough room for everything.

Switched to a Chevy
By Switched to a Chevy on 10/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This was the 2nd Explorer that I had owned. Traded my 2000 in because I liked the body style of the newer Explorers. Never had any issues with the old one. I absolutely loved the 2002 Explorer, at first! It is a piece of crap. Looks and rides nice but replaced numerous wheel bearings and the transmission was clunking and shifting so hard at around 25 mph that my kids kept asking me what I was doing. CD player stopped ejecting CDs. Driver side window motor needed replaced. Leg room in back for 3rd row seat very cramped. If this vehicle would have held up I would have kept it forever. Got rid of it before we had to replace the transmission. Got a Chevy Tahoe, which I LOVE!

Only had two problems
By only one problem on 10/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great SUV. love the 4x4. use it all the time. Only had 2 problems. 1) Passenger side external rear wheel bearing went out. $400 fix. 2) Brake pedal position sensor. $200 fix. No problems with tranny. I do pull a 1000 pound utility trailer a few times a month. I spend the time and money to have all maintenance done on schedule. I have about 117,000 miles on my 2002 explorer xlt. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

160,000 & like new
By George on 10/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this truck with high miles & you would never know it had that many miles. Fun to drive, tons of room, reliable & looks good on me. Plastic trim inside & out is faded. Easy fix with a few cans of plastic seal matched color paint. Fine machine.

Had been pretty good until
By POEO on 09/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Like most Explorers of this vintage, the transmission just went at 96,000 miles. Major slippage from 2nd into 3rd, now looking at a $2000+ repair. This is a very common problem so beware if you are looking at picking up a used one. Ford knows about it, but doesn't care too much. Looking to see if there is a class action lawsuit in the works as it's not a question of 'if' but when this problem will occur in these trucks. Had been a pretty decent car up until this, now crossing my fingers that this isn't the start of major issues to come. Before this I was considering another Explorer in 2012, now probably not as these type of major issues seem to continue to plague American made cars.

Junk
By Kern on 08/23/10 10:37 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this slightly used with only 14k miles. Nice looking truck inside and out. But after only owning it a year, everything started going wrong. Interior lights shorted out and so did the mirror ext. lights. Coil spring went. Mechanic said it was a design flaw that fords knew about it. Wheel bearings all the way around at 40k miles. Power window problems at 50k. Then at 80, rear diff. and trans went so we got rid of it. It was a money pit. It still rode nice the day we got rid of it but too many repairs. My last Ford explorer purchase.

Poor Transmission
By Sergio on 08/06/10 19:25 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the Explorer Limited and have been satisfied with it except for the transmission. During the warranty phase (5 yr/50K mile) Ford repaired the transmission but at 87K the trans had to be rebuilt. Again at 103K the trans was repaired by Ford Dealership (this time Ford paid) and they claim the fix it part as recommended by Ford Detroit was installed. I have lost confidence in my Explorer. Has someone had similar experiences w/ their transmission and will this fix it be good for another 80-100K miles?