Used 2002 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Most Helpful|
My Baby (a 2002) has over 200,000 miles!
By nikkio

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have to tell you .. this is a reliable family vehicle! I have a 2002 Ford Explorer 4.0 (4x4). We have the third seat. We purchased it in 2002 with about 18K miles on it. I am a mother of 3 & 5'10". I have total confidence in this vehicle! You will always have slight issues with vehicles but, this vehicle held out for many years! I have over 200,000 miles and have only done the following: - basic tune ups - brakes -oil changes every 3,000 miles (Motorcraft synthetic blend) - all four wheel barrings (But at 200,000 miles!) - Replaced the lower housing unit - it started to overheat (at 200,000 miles!) I'm getting a new truck after the holidays and will be getting a new Ford Explorer!

Favorite Features

I love the third seat. We are a family of 5 and this gives space where needed and still have a decent amount of trunk space. It's really a smooth ride. Doing 75 on the hwy is a breeze!

Suggested Improvements

I wish they put an extra layer of clear coat on the back of the vehicle... it faded a bit.. but only after the vehicle sat in the sun (we live in FL) for many years... then it started to peel... overall, it is still in gorgeous condition, even after 200,000 miles!

moving on up from 81 chevy blazer,first luxury car
By coloradobell

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

we just brought our explorer from dearship, its only had 58000 mile on the engine. By looking at you would think it just came off the assembly line. We love it. This are first luxury suv in twenty five years of marriage. I am married to retired car parts salesman and he didn't say one word about the cost of parts for explorer. Believe me first time ever!! Every other suv I thought about buying never ending. My husband now refuses to drive the old chevy which we still have.Hes in love with our car. its is gas hog, but after driving uncomfortble suv for nearly 15 years. The trade up was well worth it. Now I know we have dependable car going over colorado winter passes

Favorite Features

cloth seats, third row seat, muti air condition, big truck feeling when riding it. air bags, lots, lots of room. 4 wheel drive, love colors both inside and out. Just one previous owner before us. radio/cd/ speakers. car alarm system . When driving it make us feel we are on cloud nine..its sooo nice. we love our new car...

Suggested Improvements

non yet

a follow up on a earlier post
By coloradobell

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just finished our first winter with out 02 Ford Explorer. No problems. We are taking trip to NV in June. I went down to the dealership and had the transmission flushed and transmission housing oil changed. The cost for both was $299.00. When returned the mechanic noted that the engine was in excellent shape..he did say the coolant should be changed, and the right rear seal has small leak.if they do it 299.00.l hubby say he plans to changed coolant and oil same time before the trip. my husband also he will take of seal when we get back.. They also fixed the airbag wiring problem under the driver seat, that kept coming unplug when seat got moved up @ NO Charge! 64000 miles

Favorite Features

everything!!

Suggested Improvements

fix the short wire for airbag under the drive seat!!

2002 Ford Explorer xlt
By stevieray573

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle used 3 years ago. Currently has 115,000 miles on it. two years ago, rear differential started to whine (very common problem on this vehicle). I was told by several sources that the rear will last anywhere from 1,ooo to 1o,ooo miles and will cost a few grand to replace. Two windows died during the past winter (one was the motor, the other was the track). This vehicle will coat alot to maintain. If you can get over the rear differential problem, it is a good vehicle that will get you anywhere (I have taken it off road a few times, and the snow & ice of PA has never stopped me). Also, the little problems seem to add up alot!

Favorite Features

It's power and 4x4 performance. Very comfortable inside with lots of space!

Suggested Improvements

Build it mechanically better!

Excellent SUV for family travel
By skarland

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first SUV. I bought in 2010 with 96,000 miles. Now it has 125,000 miles. Things I have done: brakes, a set of new tires, regular motorcraft oil change every 3k miles. No major repair. For people complains the transmission problems, it's better to customize it with an external ATF filter and extra big ATF cooler. You should check the ATF level regularly and also its temperature (I also add a temp gauge). Because ford put a sealed transmission with this SUV, there is no way for regular person to check the ATF fluid level. With all these done, you won't have a failed transmission. Recently I drove this car from Austin Texas all the way to Buffalo NY, and back to Austin, never failed.