Used 2002 Ford Explorer Limited SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

2002 Ford Explore Limited 4.6L V8
By carguy03

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this vehicle in October 2010, and really liked it, but after I drove it for a while, I realized that I didn't have enough leg room, I'm 6'4". The Explorer had a lot of power, and would get you where you needed to go!

Favorite Features

Pearl White exterior paint. Electric everything. Power from the 4.6L V8.

Suggested Improvements

Interior build quality was less than I expected. Could use more MPGs, I averaged about 11-15 MPG.

Well is this it?
By vue5531

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have a 2002 Explorer Limited, but I have the V-8 model, and all I can say is that I absolutely hate this vehicle. The interior is of poor build quility, it's not roomy, comfortable, or very attractive. I am 6'7'' and also have a Saturn Vue and it has so much more interior room.The ride is absolutely terrible. You feel every bump and crack in the road. The transmission has gone out twice since I've owned the car, electronics work when they want to. I think that if your going to spend near $43k like I did (brand new), you can buy so many other vehicles that are much better and cheaper, and with less problems. The only good thing is the power the V-8 produces.

Favorite Features

V-8 power, that's it.

Suggested Improvements

A lot.

Poor Transmission
By Sergio

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the Explorer Limited and have been satisfied with it except for the transmission. During the warranty phase (5 yr/50K mile) Ford repaired the transmission but at 87K the trans had to be rebuilt. Again at 103K the trans was repaired by Ford Dealership (this time Ford paid) and they claim the fix it part as recommended by Ford Detroit was installed. I have lost confidence in my Explorer. Has someone had similar experiences w/ their transmission and will this fix it be good for another 80-100K miles?

Break Downs
By Dan

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

With less than 90,000 miles, I have replaced four wheel bearings, rear coil springs and struts, four wheel drive module, "Transmission" and now the starter. This is the worst ford I have ever owned, and Ford will not stand behind any of my break downs. I have owned fords all my driving life and this is the last one. I have over $6,000.00 in repairs to this vehicle in just under a year.

Suggested Improvements

Stand behind your product.

Great Mid-size SUV
By KCAttorney

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this SUV with V6 in summer of 2007 with 95K miles on it. Sold it in November 2009 with 130K miles to a friend's daughter who just turned 16. It still looks great, interior & exterior. Only repairs during that time were 2 rear wheel bearings and the rear AC door actuator. Other people complain about having to repair items like wheel bearings at "only" 90K miles. Come on, be realistic. Once a car gets over 50K miles, it's going to need repairs from time to time. This SUV offers a great overall package. I've had 3 Explorers now and had good luck with all 3. They aren't perfect, but I've had several other SUV's also, and the Explorer is a great truck. That's why I've owned 3.

Favorite Features

Good 4x4 system, good price, lots of luxury amenities, leather held up well, good exterior styling, 7 passenger seating, reliable, comfortable. Sunroof, power pedals, 6 disk in dash CD changer, rear AC, good seat heaters.

Suggested Improvements

Like everyone else says, should get 3 or 4 mpg more based on size.