2008 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Do Not Buy
By jennifer56 on 10/17/12 11:44 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned this car since July 2008, I bought it brand new off the lot. It has been the worst car I have ever owned. It has had major problems with the door locks, the back hatch window opening randomly while driving, tie rods, breaks- 4 sets in 4 years, air conditioning, doors not locking then locking me in randomly. Loud noises while driving which supossedly can be fixed with a hot oil flush. I can't wait til it is paid off, I plan to sell it and never buy another ford again. Dealing with Fords incompitant employees is another problem I will not miss. Problem after problem after problem.

Ford XLT
By csylv on 03/18/12 10:40 AM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2008 Escape used a year ago. Yes it had the faulty transmission pump already replaced. It is definitely not the most comfortable ride on the highway. My butt usually goes numb, but in-city driving is easy. The seat is powered on the driver's side helping me gain some more height (I'm only 5'6 making seeing over the steering wheel difficult in large vehicles). The controls are easy to figure out and are large enough that my monkey fingers can get control. This version does lack the Ford Sync of the newer vehicles but still has an audio jack. In town handling is easy but at higher speeds it is a bit of a challenge but has the stability control to help you out.

2008 FORD ESCAPE TRANSMISSION LEAK
By mjk13 on 12/30/11 12:32 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Ford has changed and the corporation is focused on $$$$$ and NOT the consumer. Read reviews on the internet- they are EVERYWHERE. I just got screwed by Ford on a recall that they will no longer honor. Called Customer Service and they said to will cost $800.00! READ before you buy. I never would have said this before today, but I'm now looking at a Toyota or Nissan. It's too bad Ford has gone the way and we are forced to buy non-American products. FORD you should be ashamed of what you have turned into.

Ford Escape Issues
By cmclove3 on 08/12/11 19:56 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

First and Foremost...the seats are horrible with just water they stain right away..had to buy seat covers because the backseat looked horrible..I had to bring it on on a Recall and sure enough I had nothing wrong with it...within a week the actuator of one of the Door locks was not working and now the Cruise Control is not working and it is not the Fuse because I replaced that..from an insider who I know works for the Service Dept at the same Ford Dealership advised me that when you bring your suv/car in for repair..they do things so that you have to bring it in again...I can not confirm that they deactivated my cruise control and it is now out of warranty..Soo sad they can't be trusted

The Biggest Nightmare I Have Ever Faced
By ken1053 on 01/28/11 20:32 PM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This car was a really nice car to drive around, especially having a workplace full of BMWs and Audis. I liked the comfort of the cloth seats and the interior design. One thing I absolutely hated is the reliability. My car is only 2 years old (I bought it in 10/08) and it is the most unreliable thing I ever faced. The car shifts very roughly into gear and the car lurches itself forward. I'm not sure if it's something to do with the gas or with the transmission coolant recall... I absolutely hate that car now. It can't keep the value and if you did get into an accident with this car (airbags deployed) you will not like the fact that it is 10x more of a bumpier ride. I regret getting this car..

Not Bad
By geop on 03/27/10 17:46 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Overall it's not a bad small SUV. The ride is rough as it's on a truck frame and has a small wheel base. The 4 cylinder does OK for a 4cyl. It does need to shift out of over drive climbing up inclines on the highway. The seats are a bit stiff. There is enough room for me as I'm 6 ft. I like the fact that you can open the back window without having to open the hatchback to load small items.

Disappointment
By unhappy! on 03/19/10 18:03 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Just like everyone else bad condenser unit, around 20,000. Also had the throttle cable snap twice at 26,000 and at 58,000. Also had engine mount go bad at 60,000. This thing is a lemon but the throttle needs to snap once more before I have a suit. I love America and that's why I put my family in a Ford but this thing has been a bucket. I've called Ford but they don't do anything there district manger didn't care that my wife is pregnant and we have 3 children. I will never let myself or my family be in a situation like this again.

i love my new SUV
By r3b3cki on 07/08/09 20:38 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I just bought my escape and i totally love it, from the inside out, i like thats its a suv so i can sit up higer and see traffic better as apposed to being in a car being short and all its kinda nice i can also get in and out easily with out having to do the ole heave ho action getting into my suv, it rides smooth over speed bumps and on the road. i love that it gets good gas mialage for a suv. plus its easy to drive i dont feel like im driving a boat it feels like im driving a car but im up a lil higher i highly recomend this suv to anyone!

Good For the money
By astromike on 04/19/09 22:02 PM (PDT)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I am a tall guy that likes alot of head/leg room, as well as cargo room. During these recession times where fuel econemy is VERY important, I figured this is the closest SUV to a car as I will find, at an afforadable price. You will average about 22/24 mpg. (4 cylinder). Which I am OK with. The exterior body design has been given a more masculine truck like appearance which I like! For a tall guy (6'1) I have ample head room. Seats could be just a bit more comfy.

Extreme commute in comfort
By Momofthree on 12/11/08 03:34 AM (PST)

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned this Escape for about six months and have put 19500 miles on it already. My commute is 120+ miles a day and I feel like it is five. There is no vibration, road noise is minimal and I can see without blind spots even with teenagers in the backseat. I am a 5'9" woman and have no difficulty with seat positioning or steering and love the fact that it turns on a dime. Turns so smooth- Just like my old 76 Bronco from high school. Also have a toddler and the carseat latch features are so easy. Plenty of 'kick' room for her legs too. Perfect height for placement of little ones, she can see out and I have no more back aches from the bend and stretch of buckling her.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.