2009 Dodge Journey SE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Journey SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Journey model:
Dodge Journey United Kingdom
By miffed3 on 05/19/11 06:09 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Dodge journey SXT CRD AUTO in May 2009 7000 miles on the clock, went in for service @ 20000. The result being new brake pads on front and 1 new tyre. Three months later another new tyre. In Feb this year car was juddering on take off so took it to the dealer they ran the computer on the car and told me to pick the car up as it was now running perfectly.Needless to say there was no difference in the running of the car. Was told to bring the car back to workshop on the 16 Feb.on the way the gearbox intermittently lost its drive so the car limped into the workshop. Was told it needed a new gearbox and it would be a week {Chrysler supplied a hire car} it is now 21st May & lots of phone calls to garage,{none from them to me}lots of phone calls from Chrysler customer service, have had three delivery dates from them for this gearbox to arrive but still hasn’t infact Chrysler customer service told me he was going to stop ringing me with updates as it was clearly upsetting me…….Who wouldn’t be upset ive owned this car for 2 years now but its only been in my drive for 21 months and in the workshop for 3 months.The Garage who sold me this car is based on Mereyside United Kingdom & said under no circumstances would they consider a buy back. Will keep posting on here and other forums as and when things begin to happen.

No Issues...
By jimbodean on 05/17/11 08:54 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV R/T 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We traded in a 2005 Chevy Equinox with 53,000 miles for this Journey and have not looked back one time. The leather seats are comfy and clean. The DVD system and Satellite radio are great. I keep reading about brake issues but we have 21,000 miles and the rotors are original and in great shape, we are not seeing any of the steering wheel shaking at all. Lots of room, lots of storage, 3rd row seating is for kids only but convenient if needed. We will be taking this car on a 2500 mile round trip from Nebraska to South Carolina in July and I have no trepidations at this point on reliability or comfort. The wife loves the back up camera and all the other R/T amenities.

Do not buy this POG
By mikoboy on 05/16/11 04:28 AM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV R/T 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought mine on early 2009 and I was back and forth to the dealership to fix rotors, brakes, entertainment unit, and my satellite receiver right after a week I was driving this. Brake pads worn out at 23,000 kilometers. They said this crossover has "good fuel economy" is all lies. I spend $80 to $90 full tank almost each week just about 100 km of traveling a week. This because of the problem with the rotors. To end my torture, the last problem showed up that I finally told to myself to get rid of this, was the vibration on the axles that causing my engine light indicator to pop up.

**WARNING DON'T PURCHASE A Lemon!!**
By snlewis on 04/21/11 17:49 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased this Journey 6/6/08. I've never owned a vehicle with more problems! Delivery miles 145 8/6/08 Replace 1 tire=$120.00 Rear body panel popping off 1/29 13K Rotors glazed & visor vanity broken 3/28 17K Rotors & front pads Replaced 6/16 20K Steering wheel replaced, peeling 7/14 23K Rear pads 12/1 33K Passenger seat belt Broke Wheel locks R the wrong ones-installed by the dealership! 2 tires $346.80 Alignment $99.95 Front Brakes $318.00 Throttle body & combustion chamber flush $230.95 6/9 42K will not start 6/15 will not start 10/5 48K Engine Isolator Broken 12/1/10 52K rear brakes Replaced Radiator 4/20/11 Won't start AGAIN and stopped running in the middle of an intersection.

Uses oil
By 4white on 03/30/11 16:14 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

About 32,000 miles started using oil. Contacted dealer done oil consumption tests proved that it used 1 quart of oil in 1,000 miles they contacted Chrysler. Per an agent at Chrysler industry standard is 1 quart every 1,000 miles under 50,000 and 1 quart every 750 miles over 50,000 miles. My advice....do not buy any chrysler products!!! They think it is normal for a new vechile to use oil.

2009 Dodge journey
By jimiheadtone1 on 03/21/11 18:01 PM (PDT)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have a 2009 journey with the v6 2wd It would help if others indicate the drive trains on their cars. Front brakes were a problem after 29000 miles. They were making a grinding noise... and the brake peddle was pulsing and wheels were wobbling. brought it to the dealer they told me all was ok. After I left it Was still making the noise - I checked the brakes myself and discovered the pads were cracked. i brought it back. They fixed the car. Demand the dealer inspect the brake pads (if they say they see no problem) Door Wire harnes is a serious problem they have issued a recall for this. Lastly has anyone have a calipar pin fall out from the rear brakes? mine did

I'll buy another in a heartbeat
By dancer10 on 02/07/11 07:50 AM (PST)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I love my 2009 Journey. In 40,000, I've had no problems. Replaced the brakes at @ 32K, a little earlier than I'd expect, but not bad. The service at our local dealership is tremendous. Perfect family vehicle - roomy, very comfortable, interior is easy to clean LOTS of storage. My only complaint - the light colored seats, so I put a blanket under the kids' car seats to catch the inevitable mess. When it's time to retire this one, I'll definitely buy another.

Buyer beware!
By krellis98 on 12/17/10 23:29 PM (PST)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Never buy the first year production of a vehicle. We have learned the hard way. We have had this vehicle at the dealership so many times for all sorts of different issues. Horrible wear on brakes, rotors and tires, horrible engine noises including creaking, tweeting, rattling and humming. Random things like the occasional tire rubbing sound when turning left and randomly not starting, as well as the engine light coming on for no reason and then going off for no reason. Back up camera sometimes takes a really long time to start up and the radio is sometimes blank when starting. I wish every day that we had not gotten this car!!!

It's a LEMON! Do not think twice. It's a Lemon.
By may25 on 12/07/10 19:25 PM (PST)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car in July 2009. I've been to the dealership over 25 times. It started with a mold smell from AC. Not duplicated. Cowel broke, 3 out of 4 windows did not work. Steering Column loose. AC broke and replaced and now after a year and half, it now smells like glue better then mold. Many more problems too many to list. All before 12,000 miles. The 1st Lemon Law we lost. Now approved for 2nd Arbitration. This car has been a nightmare and I would never buy a Dodge again. I drive my husband old car and only drive the Journey when they make me. LOL Cannot wait to get rid of it. It will be a happy day. I love it when they tell me "not duplicate".

Transmissiion and brakes nightmare
By Rog47 on 12/01/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Dodge Journey SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this vehicle for family use, 3rd seat, and traveling the USA. At 23,000 miles of Mostly Freeway use, the front brake pads had to be replaced and rotors turned. At 25000 miles the 6 speed automatic transmission failed and had to be overhauled. The car is not fancy by luxury standards but has adequate features. Front end alignment has been done twice. Once on a recall and 7 months later as front tires were wearing on the outside? Can't say this is the best Chrysler product I have ever owned.