Used 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Base Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Corvette - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Corvette

View reviews for a specific Corvette model:

What a gift!
By Eric

2002 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

My wife and I just received a gorgeous 2002 Pewter C5 "Base" with the AT as a gift from my father-in-law. The past six years he drove it less than 2500 miles. I was never too sure about Corvettes in the past because the ones I had ridden in were older (pre-C5) and felt like a car without shocks. Not this car. The ride is so comfortable I could use it as a daily driver. As it is, I am greatly enjoying this car. There was about $2,500 worth of deferred maintenance, but with a clean bill of health and only 120K miles, this car is in remarkable condition. Not a single ding in the body and the paint is flawless, which says a lot about how GM took care in the factory paint process. The drivetrain is the most responsive of any vehicle I have ever owned, and the handling is very tight. There are a few minor rattles (I would expect this for the age and mileage) and the driver's side window is frozen in the up position, so tomorrow I am taking it to a friend who has done a lot of work on GM vehicles. Apparently the window problem is common with Vettes. I am also doing a complete brake job all around, as I am told that rotors on Vettes aren't worth turning, so I have bought all-new parts. Will see how challenging this process is. The Bose sound system is very good, even by today's standards. Be aware that a common problem with the driver's seat is that it is subject to the seam splitting in the door side corner closest to the seatback. Will cost me about $100 to fix, not too bad. Also, the plastic housing of the bottom seat cushion typically separates some over time from the seat bottom cushion. It's not really repairable, and I am told that the sport seat holds up better. As far as maintenance costs go, everything is more expensive than the typical passenger car. Mention that it is a Corvette, and the parts cost is double. But in comparison to other cars in this class, it is a great value. Built-in cup holders are scarce - there is only one that I have found in the short time I have owned this car. I plan on getting another "portable" one for the passenger. So far all the electronics on this car are working flawlessly. My car came without keyless entry fobs, so I was able to order two on e-bay for $25 for the pair, and it only took about 60 seconds to program them myself using the owner's manual. This was a pleasant surprise considering that many cars require you to go to a dealer to get fobs programmed and can charge you a substantial (more that $50) amount for such a simple task. As far as overall value, this car is a great surprise and the re-sale values are pretty good. Low-mileage (less than 50K miles) go for over $20K, and some with the same mileage as mine and the same excellent condition and good Carfax are $15K to $20K.

Cavortin'
By Gary Tischue

2002 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

C5's are probably the most car you can get for the money. They now average between $15,000 and 19,000 dollars. They are on a par, performance wise with some of the worlds super-cars. Accelerates, 0 to 60 in 4.9 seconds equals a Ferrari F2. Corners like a Formula racer, stops like nothing else with huge brakes, it is simply the funnest car to drive, unless you step up to a C6 or C7. Supremely comfortable, easy on fuel, fun to work on, this is the best car I've ever owned. Get some of this!

If you always wanted one...this is it
By James B

2002 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned my 2002 "C5" Corvette coupe for many, many years. Each time that I'm behind the wheel is the same - great! I have the "base" 350 HP model but it still feels like it gets from zero to sixty in just under five seconds. Always garaged, my car's light pewter color is still very good and it looks great with the dark tint of the side and rear windows. While the Z06/manual is the enthusiast's choice, the base LS1 with 4-speed AT is a superb daily driver that provides a ton of low-rev power. You always have what you need for the daily commuting challenge and it's a breeze on the highway. This model is going on 14 years old and still gets 30 MPG on the highway (Summer time). I don't drive it during the Northern Winter, to avoid snow/ice and risk for frame rust. The interior is basic by today's standards but the leather wheel and seats hold up well and look for the upgraded Bose entertainment system (which is still good by today's standards). Corvette seats have been the favorite joke of automotive writers but you need to decide for yourself. I've driven this car for 15 hours at a time with minimal stops, and have never had a sore back from the seats. I cannot say the same for a Porsche and its Recaro seats I owned in the past. The Corvette also bests its German rival with its reliability, especially for the powertrain and brakes. With its composite body and plastic interior pieces, it does have a few rattles with age, and I've needed to replace the weatherstripping. These are small issues when compared to how the 2002 Corvette cruises through each year with the same agility and power - with only oil changes and tire rotations needed. Overall, a great used super car bargain! If you are in the market, I recommend you search for models which have always been in warmer climates. If you buy from a dealer, it's not difficult to negotiate covered shipment for your car. Enjoy!

Should be faster
By corvettekid

2002 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased a black 2002 auto transmission Corvette with 33,000 miles on it (I wanted a manual, but my left knee is too messed up). I love the car, but it seems like she loses power after hard acceleration a few times in a row. Also, I think the voltage regulator is bad cause sometimes it drops down to 12.3 when I am driving and it also jumps up and down a lot when I step on the brakes. For the car having 350 HP it doesn't feel very fast to me except for when it is first started in the morning. Other than that issue, I totally love the car. I get compliments on it all the time. I love how the sport seats hug me during fast turns. I would definitely buy another one.

Sport seats, torque, removable glass top, memory system, bBeating those four cylinder lawn mower sounding tricked out hondas, acuras, etc. Just the feeling I get when I am driving it.

The cupholder is a joke. The ashtray should be lit at night. More horsepower. Heated seats. Louder exhaust note, it is way too quiet for a muscle car.

Awesome Ride
By Scott B

2002 Chevrolet Corvette 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

This is my first Vette. Like some other posters I never thought I would own one of my own. Lots of power when you want it. Not bad gas mileage when you're cruising.

HUD, memory functions, targa top

More storage areas, cup holders. But then again, this is a sports car, not a family car