Used 2002 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

I'm Hooked
By Dave

2002 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I recently traded in my perfectly fine 2006 Honda Civic EX coupe for this car, and I absolutely love it. I was looking for a little more fun than the Honda provided, and also something the family would enjoy. This car is all that you read about and more. It offers the perfect blend of fun, performance, and practicality. This is my first venture into BMW-land, and I'm hooked so far. I was looking for a used model with low miles, and I came across my 2002 330 CiC with just 38,400 miles and a clean Carfax. The beauty of BMWs is that they often look much younger than they actually are. I walked away with my "almost new" car for just $25k, down from $46k new. Very happy so far.

I love the aggressive, refined stance of this car. Sports and premium packages are a must. I look for reasons to wash this car. I also love my color combo (jet black, sand interior, black top). I honestly can't decide if it looks better with the top up or down. The drive is unreal, very tight.

OK, yeah, the back seat is small, but I understand the trade-off. I also have some minor electrical concerns: cruise control won't turn on anymore, and the driver's side power seat motor is intermittent at times... little things I'll fix before the extended warranty runs out next year.

There's NONE better! :)
By Bimmer4Life

2002 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love, love, love this car! I have the 330i with the high performance package. I have M3 18 inch staggered wheels, M3 steering wheel, navigation system, bi-xenon-auto leveling headlights, rain sensing wipers... the list goes on. I was hesitant to buy this car 2 years ago with 64k on it, but with all of the service records available, I took the risk. I now have 101K on the odometer and it's still purring (or growling with the dual chrome exhaust!) right along! I also have the Harmon Kardon sound system which is awesome. I owned a '98 328i previous to this car and I can't see EVER owning anything but a Bimmer!!

Quick/responsive engine, tight steering,"'muscle" look and larger tires, front end and the NAVIGATION! I will never own another car without it!

Cup holder/console combo is a bit awkward at times. Coloring is fading off of steering wheel and the color is rubbing off of plastic pieces around cup holders. Nothing major!

Fun and Stylish
By Hughes

2002 BMW 3 Series 325Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car because my Honda Accord lacked fun and perfomance. Looked at a BMW Z3 but wasn't willing to go from a sedan to no storage at all. This was the perfect compromise. Surprisingly has a decent size backseat and backseat leg room for a coupe.

On steering wheel radio controls, and sports automatic transmission.

More storage for CDs, etc.

Fun to drive
By sparky2708

2002 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for 5 years now. Last year my transmission had to be replaced and this year both front axles needed to be replaced because the boot leaked. Car is definitely fun to drive but the problems it is starting to have are serious but strange since I only have 44000 miles on the car. Haven't had any accidents so not sure why all these problems started. My advice, if you buy the car consider getting one with an extended warranty - mine paid off big time!

Fun to drive, great in the snow & rain.

Quality of front end seems to be declining and having a lot of problems with the front-end part of the car.

Disappointing 325xi
By T Nguyen

2002 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought it new in 2002. Since then, had to bring it back to the dealer for replacing (4) window operators. Alternator defect found after the 2nd year. After 5 years - just magically right after warranty expired! - rear window molding is peeled off (found to be attached to the car body via "stick-on" glue! - is this really German engineering?); and whenever it rains water is found puddling up in all footwells. The dealer tried to fix door seals 4 times, but water/moisture still infiltrate. Hint for other bmw owners: If your car windshield is fogging up after rainy weather, check under the floor mat! One more problem: power connector for the front seat operator is a cheap clip-on!! BMW value engineering is so disappointing!

The rides are great!! Unfortunately, many of those rides are to the dealer for service.