Used 2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 120 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

5 month review
By Hootie361

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

Time for the 5 month review. Highly recommend buying the service manual and an error-code reader ($250 total for both). My car had little things, such as bulbs, sensors, filters degrade and required replacing. These cars are CAKE to work on so long as you have the service manual. Most repairs require very basic tools and a couple hours of patience. My first winter encountered no driving problems, even on snow-covered roads. The DSC kicks in as needed to keep the vehicle from slipping, even with all- season tires. I still can't get enough of this auto...

The ease of which you can work on this car. Mechanics must make a fortune off these repair jobs. This is honestly the most efficiently assembled car I've ever seen. I plan on doing my own inspections with help from the service manual.

Turn signal bulbs require a little effort to access, as opposed to the headlight bulbs that just pop off as needed.

My first lemon
By riverwork

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

This is my second BMW. I have also owned several new Japanese cars. This has been in the shop about eight times for major repairs. The brakes, suspension and several electrical components have been replaced numerous times. The dealer has been terrific about fixing the car - even when it went past warranty. Apparently, the problems are typical of this series. However, the time and general hassle really diminished the BMW "driving experience"and I will never buy one again (hate the new styling, anyway).

Styling, handling, great breaking,smooth acceleration. The controls are well laid out, the climate controls are excellent. Too bad all this is marred by general reliability, brake and suspension problems.

fix all the ills once and for all and have the dealers do the fixes in one recall - not half a dozen over a period of three years.

Solid Ride
By Noreaster

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

Second owner, first BMW and like it
very much thus far. 67K Mi. Sharp
looking, nicely appointed interior,
smooth ride and adequate power. One
unexpected repair was cracking of rear
coil spring, ended up having to
replace both costing about $500.
Also, the small radio antenna off the
back antenna base broke off probably
in car wash, resulting in poorer radio
reception. Other than those, usual
maitenance. Love it and hope that it
continues to serve me well.

Steptronic for downshifting off hwy exits/approaching stop lghts/traffic - smooth transition, saves on brakes. Drvr's seat helps posture and gives exclnt support for long rides/sitting in traffic. Psngr side rear vw mirror tilt when in reverse is great for paralell parking.

More hidden storage space. Brakes produce lots of dust and have to clean wheels a lot. Bigger entry into trunk. Rear vw mirror has common problem from glass manufacuter, brown tinge that starts at bottom. Rear whl drive sucks in snow, but knew that going in.

One of the best cars ever!!
By Fender58

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for about four
weeks; I bought used 2000 model with
57,700 mls. on it. I wanted a 540i,
but, couldn't really afford one
(without robbing Peter to pay Paul).
Car is extremely responsive, smooth,
handles superb; basically, everything I
expected it to be and more. There is
something to all the hype about BMWs.
It has been a dream of mine since I was
a teenager to own a BMW. I will
definately get another one when the
time comes.

Handling, step-tronic shifting, quality of interior, acceleration (I drove the 328; not sure it justifies the price), the fact I can throw it into a turn without second guessing myself.

Since it's an entry level model, the only option I would have made standard is heated seats. We don't buy these cars for the cup-holders, people!! If you want cup-holders, buy an SUV.

Slack-jawed
By Hootie361

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

I finally understand why people
take "joy rides" in their cars. The
performance of this sedan is superb on
the twisting, dipping, back-country
roads near my residence. The engine
power is impressive, the transmission
shifts are smooth, the tires hug the
road, the breaks stop on a dime...the
car lives up to the title of "ultimate
driving machine". For high speed
driving, I recommend a high-end set of
tires...my all season's transmit
vibrations starting at 85mph (but
disappear around 100mph). The car is
absolutely convenient, only had 2
minor (<$20 fix) problems so far.

Tiptronic transmission, auto-sensing and power everything, aesthetic appeal, 22mpg average, after-market customizing options. May as well be honest...the pure sex appeal of this car. To understand the enthusiasm, just drive one.

Rear-seat cup holders, more trunk space or fold down rear seats (available in newer models), longer warranty period (just incase), a stereo system with easily upgradable components. A built-in radar detector.